Bacchus Vintage Series SG on eBay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnA said:
And without proof someone that says,

"it's a vintage series, JohnA told me and some bloke in Australia told him and he heared from a bloke in a shop that spoke to someone at the Deviser"

Doesn't carry a lot of weight :wink:

It wasn't quite as casual as that - Deviser were able to see 15 photos of that actual SG, and it wasn't just a bloke in a shop, it was someone who has close ties to Deviser and has been there several times. They are the official Deviser products dealer for Australia.

marcusnieman said:
Were there Vintage Series and non Vintage Series SG's? Again, what's the difference between them other than the V in the model number??

Vintage Series strats stand out from the others because of the obvious.... nitro, correct headstock, etc.

Ah yes, the correct cloned headstock... perhaps that is the main pre-requisite for a V?

JVsearch said:
marcusnieman said:
Were there Vintage Series and non Vintage Series SG's? Again, what's the difference between them other than the V in the model number??

Vintage Series strats stand out from the others because of the obvious.... nitro, correct headstock, etc.

Ah yes, the correct cloned headstock... perhaps that is the main pre-requisite for a V?

There are heaps of correct headstock shaped Bacchus guitars out there that are not vintage series guitars

JVsearch said:
Your theory, although it makes sense to you and probably others, does not stand as a fact that needs disproving, it also needs proof that it is correct. Putting aside the bolt on models - half a dozen Vintage Series guitars and all of them had serial numbers, so therefore all V Series guitars must have serial numbers, yet Deviser says that wasn't the case. To be fair, that is really only an assumption at best. :)

That's half a dozen more that none.

Yes I know it's a theory/assumption and I'm happy for it to be disproved or proved.

'Deviser' did not say it wasn't the case, someone who worked for Deviser said, that's quite different.

What would be the point - without the serial number it couldn't be proved that the certificate went with any particular guitar?

Show me a salmon pink BSG-68V with no SN and a matching certificate and I'll accept I'm wrong :wink:

What is the definition of a Vintage Series anyway? Vintage style clones?

Definition of a 'Vintage Series' one with a model number ending in V

JohnA said:
JVsearch said:
Your theory, although it makes sense to you and probably others, does not stand as a fact that needs disproving, it also needs proof that it is correct. Putting aside the bolt on models - half a dozen Vintage Series guitars and all of them had serial numbers, so therefore all V Series guitars must have serial numbers, yet Deviser says that wasn't the case. To be fair, that is really only an assumption at best. :)

That's half a dozen more that none.

Yes I know it's a theory/assumption and I'm happy for it to be disproved or proved.

'Deviser' did not say it wasn't the case, someone who worked for Deviser said, that's quite different.

Lets keep it accurate - it was someone who is currently working at Deviser and has been for many years, not someone who may have once worked for them.

JohnA said:
What would be the point - without the serial number it couldn't be proved that the certificate went with any particular guitar?

Show me a salmon pink BSG-68V with no SN and a matching certificate and I'll accept I'm wrong :wink:
I'm betting that is kind of like a Unicorn...

JohnA said:

Ah yes, the warm protection of the circular definition! :wink:

JVsearch said:
Lets keep it accurate - it was someone who is currently working at Deviser and has been for many years, not someone who may have once worked for them.

That's still a long way from officially publised information from Deviser

JVsearch said:
JohnA said:

I'm betting that is kind of like a Unicorn...

JohnA said:

Ah yes, the warm protection of the circular definition! :wink:

No, just a fact

there's a post on japanaxe by Grecoburst which apparently contains info from Deviser translated from Japanese, it says

? BLS59V (the second model), is a 1959 Burst Replica, finish in urethan-lacquer, later part of 1994-1997, "V" means VINTAGE

Another assumption on my part is that if vintage series LP's finished in 97 then quite possibly the BSG vintage series did too??

The full post is here:

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1791

Yes, that grecoburst post reads about right to me. I don't know whether we will ever be able to get absolute facts. IMHO Bacchi are more confusing than Tokai even though they've only been around a short time!

It also explains why my (and others) very early (pre vintage series) BLS-95 doesn't have a serial number. Neither does it conflict with the 1998 and 2003/4 catalogues which are linked below. The 2003 link doesn't work anymore but the guitars are the same as in the 2004. I downloaded the 2003 quite a long time ago.

http://soarproject.com/ctlg/bacchus98.pdf

http://soarproject.com/ctlg/2004.zip

Beats me why they would have two similar spec' guitar models running at the same time though. As JohnA states the none V models in the 98 catalogue are based on price and are generally higher priced than the V series.

Dave

Hey Everyone, I guess this is a fitting a post to make my debut.
I ended up buying this guitar (I always wanted to try a Bacchus, and was looking for an SG anyway, so I made the guy an offer, he accecpted, and several days later it arrived. My first impression was that it's a well made, quality instrument, very light & well balanced, great tone even acoustically, and the Pups are some of these best I've heard. Having said that, the action was very high, (at least for me) and as the thumbscrews were down as low as they could go (Due to the three ply pickguard?) I couldn't get it any lower, also the **** thing went out of tune as soon as you looked at it!
I really don't understand that a guitar of this obvious quality, that has been around for at least 10 years, hasen't had these issues addressed!
Anyway, I took it into my guitar guy, (Eric's guitars in Van Nuys) who IMHO is the best I've ever encountered. he set it up, cutting holes in the Pickguard (to allow lowering of the bridge) don't worry, they're really not noticable, and working on the nut so it now stays in tune. the result is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played.

DaveB7 said:
Hey Everyone, I guess this is a fitting a post to make my debut.
I ended up buying this guitar (I always wanted to try a Bacchus, and was looking for an SG anyway, so I made the guy an offer, he accecpted, and several days later it arrived. My first impression was that it's a well made, quality instrument, very light & well balanced, great tone even acoustically, and the Pups are some of these best I've heard. Having said that, the action was very high, (at least for me) and as the thumbscrews were down as low as they could go (Due to the three ply pickguard?) I couldn't get it any lower, also the **** thing went out of tune as soon as you looked at it!
I really don't understand that a guitar of this obvious quality, that has been around for at least 10 years, hasen't had these issues addressed!
Anyway, I took it into my guitar guy, (Eric's guitars in Van Nuys) who IMHO is the best I've ever encountered. he set it up, cutting holes in the Pickguard (to allow lowering of the bridge) don't worry, they're really not noticable, and working on the nut so it now stays in tune. the result is one of the nicest guitars I've ever played.

Hello and welcome! Yes a very good debut post!

I was the owner of that SG, and I was wondering what happened to it after I sold it to someone in the US, and it was immediately put up for sale again under a different user name.

Yeah I think Bacchus made some errors with the early ones - that pickguard is actually 5 ply with a metal shield on the back as well. But the guitar also has a quite shallow neck angle which when combined with the very thick pickguard and the bridge used, maybe wasn't the best plan.

Yeah, I should have done a full setup on it, but I wasn't playing it really so never got around to it.

Glad you've got it sorted and playing how you like it.

Thanks,
yeah it really is a nice guitar, I've seen this problem before on SG's, and it's a simple fix, along with the nut, I'm just suprised that no one addressed these issues before, not that I'm complaing, it's sweet now.

Latest posts

Back