A Tokai Book

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will do a list of what is in and what Mike has taken out and see if we can fill the gaps. I am trying to get every main colour in maple and rosewood with any interesting variants along the way. A few Silverstars at the end needed but I think the Limeted and special editions I have cover the concept.

We have a reasonable mix of springy and goldies left

I really want kobiashis pink with matching headstock but he hasnt got back to me!!

OK, here is a preview of the book without Mikes photos. The removal of his pages takes us from 74 pages to 52 so there would be no decrease in price so it is worth getting more pages done to get more value for money, as long as we don't go above 80 pages as that will increase the price by ?5. I am looking at a total price of ?25 delivered in the UK, overseas will incurr more postage cost. By bulk ordering I can get a 10% discount on the book price then I can post recorded delivery in the UK for ?3. (Blurb price is ?3.99) It may be that we bulk order the UK books and the overseas customers can order directly as this means the risk of failed delivery lies with Blurb.

Please do not place any orders now or I will have to delete this link. thanks:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/1274520/51074409bf8340638443382f78fe58ed

Hi Iain, You can still count me in.

PS did you keep the pictures of my ST55 Natural 82 Springy? Maybe they could go in now?

Dave

Dave, I think I have kept all your shots, thanks for the reminder. I need to trawl my archieve over Xmas and come up with a hit list.

Iain,
Similarly, I have a Metallic Red Springy ST60 with rosewood board which I could provide pics of if that helps fill any gap.

Andrew

Hi Iain,

I've just spotted a typo. Towards the end of the book (pp 48-49) there is a black LE which you credit as being mine. Sadly its not. Must be someone elses.

Overall, I think the book looks great as it is. Well done on a great piece of work. It must have taken you ages. It would definitely benefit from some other examples if we can get them but I'd be happy to go with it as it stands if that's the consensus.

Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew, I think there is an Andrwe in there as well. I will log all comments and make the changes when I start the re-edit process.

Iain

HI IAIN GREAT JOB ON THE BOOK .WILL GET SOME PHOTOS OFROBS 2 LEFTYS .ALSO HAVE FOUND A FEW MORE SILVERSTARS (AT MY FRIENDS SHOP) AND A METALIC BLUE GOLDSTAR WITH KHALLER (factory fitted)
will post to you during christmass hols cheers mate have a good one
JAPAXES

Hi Iain,

Great work. You have obviously put your heart and soul into this. Congrats! Count me in.

Dave

Brilliant work Iain!

Couple off wee changes that need done to my page, You have my Username as Hotrodcolin (back to front, lol) and the colour code of the guitar in "TG", translucent green I believe, its a hard colour to catch as its so dark. I recently lost a hard drive but will take a few pics ASAP of the PUP cavity and get them off to you.

Cheers, Colin

Well done ,what a fantastic book,I want 3 copies of it ! Count me in iain,It will be a collectors item !

Please e-mail the details about how i go about getting or ordering copies when it is ready and revised.

MOJO HOBO

Hello again and sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I have had some offers of guitars that we can fill in the gaps, mostly silver stars, but i thought I would put the full list of the current draft book including all the stratman323 ones we have to replace. If anyone has a direct replacement please let me know. Some we can do without like the FO but we then dont have a rosewood version. Anyway, have a look at the list and see what we can cobble together. Thanks to Gordon Maxwell for his inspiring email which drove me to get this going again:

Mike Davies (stratman323) Springy ST80 GS Golden Sunburst Rosewood Replace

Andrew Munro (amunro) Springy ST80 GS Golden Sunburst Maple

Andrew Munro (amunro) Springy ST50 GS Golden Sunburst Maple

Marcus Mote (marcusnieman) Springy ST60 GS Golden sunburst Maple 1981

Marcus Mote (marcusnieman) Springy ST60 OW Olympic White Maple

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST60 OW Olympic White Maple Replace

Iain Black (iainblack) Goldie ST40 OW Olympic White Rosewood

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST60 N Natural Rosewood Replace

Colin Summers (colinhotrod) Goldie ST100 TG Translucent Green Maple

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST50 BB Black Rosewood Replace

Iain Black (iainblack) Springy ST55 MR Metallic Red Rosewood matching headstock

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST55 MR Metallic Red Rosewood matching headstock Replace

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST55 SR Sparkle Red Rosewood Replace

JJ McGregor (JJMcG) Goldie ST55 FO Flamingo Orange Maple

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST55 FO Flamingo Orange Rosewood Replace

Gez Casey (japaxes) Goldie ST55 FO Flamingo Orange Maple

Tom Egan (mirrorboy) Goldie ST55 PP Pale Pink Maple

Gordon Maxwell Goldie ST55 MP Metallic Pink Rosewood

Iain Black (iainblack) Goldie ST50 MB Metallic Blue Maple

Dave Hammond (imosdad) Goldie ST50 MB Metallic Blue Rosewood

Dave Hammond (imosdad) Goldie ST50 LB Lake Placid Blue Rosewood

Iain Black (iainblack) Goldie ST55 SO Sonic Blue Rosewood

Blake (blake375) Springy ST55 SO Sonic Blue Rosewood 1981

Marcus Fay (mojo hobo) Springy ST50 GM Gold Metallic Maple Block logo

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST50 GM Gold Metallic Rosewood Replace

Mike Davies (stratman323) Goldie ST55 MG Metallic Green Rosewood Replace

Mike Davies (stratman323) Silver Star SS38 YS Yellow Sunburst Rosewood Replace

Mike Davies (stratman323) Silver Star SS60 OW Olympic White Rosewood Replace

Marcus Fay (mojo hobo) Silver Star SS?? BB Black Rosewood

Andrew Munro (amunro) Limited Edition LE36 MR Metallic Red Rosewood red neck & head

Andrew Munro (amunro) Limited Edition LE60 BB Black Rosewood springy logo

As you can see we need to replace 11 out of 31 guitars as we will pay the same for the book up to 80 pages and I have about 66 with 31 guitars including the intro so lets see how many we can fit in. If Blurb run a special offer like the 20% off last year we will have a monh to get our order in. I will recommend that I order all UK orders in bulk and send them out in bubble wrap, recorded delivery and it will still be under ?25. For rest of the world I recommend ordering directly from Blurb and you pay one postage price ?3.99 for up to 3 books then extra buy it is DHL delivery with daily on line tracking. That way you may pay a little more than the bulk order (but less than me sending it UK recorded) but you get guaranteed delivery, insured if it goes missing.

OK let do it!

Hi Iain,

It would be great to see this come to life. The original draft looked fantastic. A couple of thoughts about the gaps...

Is it worth deciding what you want in there and then maybe targetting appropriate owners (perhaps via the Registry) to fill in the gaps? Playing around with your list (excluding the lost ones), for example; there is only 1 Silver Star and only 2 Limited Editions; there are only 5 which are 60's or higher (and consequently rarer); only one block logo, only one with a matching headstock etc. It would be great to get a broader representation (especially the Silver Stars - I'm not really a fan but we spent a lot of time getting the text right for these) and examples of rarer guitars. Maybe Ned could help with an extract from the Registry database? (I'm not sure how up to date it is though). I'm thinking if we targeted specific owners, we might get more commitment from them to get their unique guitars included.

The only other guitar I have to offer is my Springy ST60 in Metallic Red with Rosewood board. It's a great guitar but I'm not sure it fills any particular gap. Would be happy to have it in there if you want.

Also, the black LE at the bottom of the list is still not mine :)

Andrew

hi
i have the all black st 60 springy sound ,,,,, you dont want to use that ?
and i have a rosewood springy sound in metalic blue MB
can you use that ?
all the best
otto

Andy, good call about sourcing people via the registry (I have when there are some nice rare photos). I kind of collated what people offered hence it kind of reflects the rarity of the higher spec guitars but I think you are right about having 3 or 4 variations of Silver Star and the Limited editions are nice to have as variations on the theme but i didnt wantot extend it to the later pointy headstock variations with both rounded strat bodies and more angular 'jackson' type bodies. keep that for Volume 2!

Otto, both welcome. I will pm on my email address and photo spec.

The original concept was to have all colours of 50's and 60's style strat with both rosewood and maple (50's) versions of each colour and where we could have a mix of Springys and Goldies. We havent got them all but the coulour variation in FO and SO photos is brilliant to see. I will have to clear out my pm inbox for all the members I could be emailing. Thanks for the suggestions,

Iain

i've got an all black st40 with maple board/rounded headstock, best sounding guitar i've ever owned, not original pickups though.
put me down for a copy of the book.

Iain and everyone,
It is a shame we can't use Stratman323 (Mike) guitars. What if we just went with what we have? I would be happy. People who would have their guitars included I assume would be happy(?) This could be a collectors item (!). There is always room for Volume 2!
I think we could wait quite a few months to have the 'perfect' collection of Tokai strats to publish.
Feel free to shoot me down on flames!

Dave, thanks for your post and your (and everyone else's) patience in waiting for the book. When I announced the removal of Mikes guitars we had a discussion and the concensus was that if it is worth doing then we should do it well. I am not looking for perfection but I think that we have up to 80 pages to fill for ?25 so I would rather give those who couldnt make the original deadline a chance to add them and now the suggestion of writing to the registry members targetting a number of guitars to fill the gaps. If I was to aim to publish by the end of May to put an end point to it? When is the next convention as it would be nice to have it there to discuss?

p.s. I would hope that someone else with enthusiasm would do volume 2 on Love Rocks etc

Update: one Springy ST55 Natural with rosewood board has now replaced Mikes (10 more to go!)

A few offers and a few photos awaited. Need to get checking the registry for some people to email!

Iain

Latest posts

Back