Who made the most faithful repros of LPs and Strats?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,maybe could be made in Japan ones and korean ones.We disccused somenthing relatedthis in the past here in the forum.I remember a post from Londonbarry suspecting this an talking about new 2.002 laquer finish series(120.000 yen price list).

I'm not really sure I get it: If my ELP-90 is made in Korea or not, should that be a cause for concern? I like the laquer finish, and the craftsmanship is flawless, especially compared to some Gibbys I've picked up. It's got that classic thick feel and husky LP tone as well, and that's really where it's at as far as I'm concerned.

I know I'm the newbie here, but seriously, the Edwards axes might be worth checking out before you decide it's substandard for some odd reason. "I heard a rumor it was made in Korea" shouldn't stop you from checking one of these bad boys out, IMO. The rumor I heard is that Edwards is pretty close to the craftsmanship of the high-end Navigator line, and that's not too shabby for the price I would think. :D

every edwrads I`ve seen here in Japan was made here. LTD is a seperate line that is MIK. The Grassroots guitars I`ve seen are MIC. I own 2 edwards and they are real nice guitars. got one used for a great price and the other at a closing out sale for 50% off.
Not saying it`s impossible that some are MIK and the domestic models made here...ANYthing is possible here and the locals don`t appear to be very keen on MIK guitars.

I played a few Edwards recently in Tokyo and they were all stated as being made in japan. They make an amazing Jimmy Page Les Paul lookalike model with a worn nitro top coat. The top of the range ESP guitars are called Navigator and are up there with the Tokai LS320 (if not better) and I believe cost more!!
The Edwards are fantastic value for money.
Unfortunately the Edwards to Tokai ratio was about 1 to 20 so I didnt get to see many Tokais.

Sinsonido said:
I'm not really sure I get it: If my ELP-90 is made in Korea or not, should that be a cause for concern? I like the laquer finish, and the craftsmanship is flawless, especially compared to some Gibbys I've picked up. It's got that classic thick feel and husky LP tone as well, and that's really where it's at as far as I'm concerned.

I know I'm the newbie here, but seriously, the Edwards axes might be worth checking out before you decide it's substandard for some odd reason. "I heard a rumor it was made in Korea" shouldn't stop you from checking one of these bad boys out, IMO. The rumor I heard is that Edwards is pretty close to the craftsmanship of the high-end Navigator line, and that's not too shabby for the price I would think. :D

I think you're getting a little defensive there... :) My only concern was possible misrepresentation in an eBay auction - that's all.

Jim

As you can see there isn't going to be any definitive answer. It all depends what country you live in and what you have access to. For most of us here in the states the only way is to buy these guitars and see for yourself. Things like pickups are very subject to taste. I'm sure there's a kid out there who will say a Johnson or Turser is a dead ringer. I owned a couple of early Ibanez's that had hollow chambers all over them and tiny pencil necks. So go forth and buy guitars, it's fun.

Whitehall ? yes it?s strange about weight relief on those early Japanese copies ? as I?ve said here before I still have an Antoria LP-Custom copy that I bought new in 1973 or 74 & that has chambers or holes around the stop tail area (at the time Antoria was name used by Ibanez when they first imported those models into UK) ? but discussion on LPF (them again!) strongly implied that Gibson didn?t begin using holes/weight-relief until early-mid 1980?s ? so looks like Gibson copied the Japanese for that (maybe specifically Ibanez) ... note also, this is very early date for LP copies because Gibson themselves didn?t re-introduce Les Paul until 1968 (& don't think they got it into full production till 69).

Ian.

Jim Jones said:
I think you're getting a little defensive there... :) My only concern was possible misrepresentation in an eBay auction - that's all.

Jim

Nah, it's all good Jim, I just like the feel and sound of my Edwards and wanted everyone to know. :D I honestly wouldn't know if Edwards is the suckiest guitar mentioned so far, but it was a good deal and it seems to suit my tastes so I have no complaints. Of course, all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Whitehall has a point though: try-before-you-buy is obviously not an option in the States, so you've gotta gamble a little I guess.

Sinsonido ? my opinion on this is probably worthless because I?ve never played an Edwards (nor Greco or Burny) ? but several guys have told me how impressed they were with Edwards ? I think they?re probably very far from ordinary :-? .

Ian.

Well, now that I've got my 1st MIJ Tokai I don't think I'll ever buy another Orville/Burny/Greco unless it's something really rare. I'll always buy gibsons when It's something really collectable but the MIJ fills a very nice void. It's a wonderful guitar, it's just a shame that most people in the US will never play one unless they buy it.

Back