Tokai LS-320 club

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any of you tell if any wood fillers are used on the mahogany backs of the Tokai LS-320+? Gibson DOES typically use a wood filler on the mahogany backs of their guitars. The reason I ask is I know NO fillers were used on my 2009 Gison LCGP #245. Larry Corsa of CV Guitars ordered the guitars from Gibson WITHOUT fillers and only sanding sealer was applied. A while back I asked the fine folks at Japan Vintage Guitars and their answer was NO fillers were used on the mahogany backs of the Tokai LS-380. I cannot find anything on the web that specifically states Tokai's finishing procedures.

Thanks for you help, :D

bodark said:
Can any of you tell if any wood fillers are used on the mahogany backs of the Tokai LS-320+? Gibson DOES typically use a wood filler on the mahogany backs of their guitars. The reason I ask is I know NO fillers were used on my 2009 Gison LCGP #245. Larry Corsa of CV Guitars ordered the guitars from Gibson WITHOUT fillers and only sanding sealer was applied. A while back I asked the fine folks at Japan Vintage Guitars and their answer was NO fillers were used on the mahogany backs of the Tokai LS-380. I cannot find anything on the web that specifically states Tokai's finishing procedures.

Thanks for you help, :D

I can't answer your question, but have to say how beautiful your guitar is. I hope you enjoy it!

ampmaker said:
Here's a pic of my '03 LS-320. Thanks to Yoshi at GS Universe! :)

Apologies that it's only a small pic, and rather washed out, but it's the only one uploaded at the moment.

lr01.jpg

Good god! Amazing

luis said:
I met Yoshi back in 2002 when toured the factory,a very nice guy. I cannot find Tokai in stock there now,not sure if he is selling them still.

:-? Oh dear - hope it wasn't the hassle of my guitar that made him give up Tokai! The guitar took a long time to happen, and it didn't go very smoothly. I'm sure he must have wished that he'd never heard of me! :lol:

Hope he's doing OK, because my LS-320 would never have happened without his liaison with the factory.

Strange that he talked Tokai into finding and doing a one-piece top, but not into using the Yahama push-push pots that I also wanted! He supplied them to me, and I still have them sitting in the case waiting... :)

I don?t think Yoshi had any issue with Tokai Barry but I cannot find Tokais in stocklist. Yoshi?s shop is close to the factory, I remember well that. I was drove by Adachi-san himself in his car to Universer shop from Tokai second building (main). He was very kind.My visit was recorded in a diary he was writing and published in his web at the time.

Yoshi was asked to sell to me his personal guitar (LS-320GT with humbuckers Villager ended to got and sell) but I did not want to take adventage of that.It was his personal guitar! So I order one from factory instead after.

Thanks for the link Minoupark. It seems Yoshi re-painting the guitar himself for you Barry?He does repairs according to his webpage.
I like the finish a lot!

Regarding push-push pots, Tokai seems to follow a line in his work and don?t like to deviate. I asked some features in the past and was not lucky enough.

Minoupark said:
Nice top!!
Found a web page showing the repainting process of the bust on this particular guitar at the GS Universe.
http://www.gs-universe.com/repair/ref_sunburst.html

Cool - I haven't seen that page before, and the last pic is way better than any of mine! Shows the depth of colour much better than my washed-out pic. :D

Must translate that text. The problem I had was with the very first pix sent to me on its completion - you can see one at the top of the page. That 'tomato burst' finish almost made me cry after a year or so of waiting. :(

Annoyingly, I'd previously sent reference photos of the colour finish I wanted (which was an antique aged cherry LP, where the cherry was not garish and was transparent at the edges). Either Tokai couldn't do it, or someone forgot to check the reference!

Yoshi rescued it for me. Phew! :)

Luis - nice to know you were treated well on your trip. Must get to Japan some time, and pop into GSU to thank Yoshi in person.

Yes Barry I was treated very well.

Just a question regarding Tokai Lifton cases coming with 320s, Did Tokai always shipped 320s with 5teh same case?I just remember someone here talking about a damaged one while shipping because cade did not support neck angle correct? I have a 2003 made and the case has an extra support for the neck end.

Please check yours if you are so kind.

BrazenPicker said:
I'm not in the club, but I have a question for you guys: I assume most of you have also played the "lower" models of Tokai. Is there still a big upgrade in tone compared to what's today the LS-160? Or is it more about nicer wood and finish?
It depends what "Lower means". The lower models in the premium series, that aren't "hondurian Mahogany" . Are sounding really good, there isn't that much of a great difference. But a guitar gourmet will probably appreciate the little bit more of clarity and the amount of sounds more you will shoot out of your wrist. But it's litterally on the "fu_king a fly" factor.

Now, in regard to the "vintage series of TOkai". Yes, the difference is obvious and easy to grasp. I'm not hating or anything, but as somebody that loves to play beautiful guitar and with high standards in sound and feel, I noticed a difference between both ranges. The Premiums are definitely "better".

Back