Mismatched neck and body? help plz guys :)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicko001

Reaction score
Hey, this is my first time on the forum, ive read some very useful information on here. I have to apologise first of all for my appauling terminology. Great forum!!! Anyway, down to the nitty gritty, I have aquired what i think is a 84 strat goldstar ID # L15594 in Sonic blue, rose wood fret board yummy :). It sounds the daddy through my Marshall vs100 with 15 inch bass cab, great tone and i haven't played a better strat, thats including the originals.
Only problem is after the initial bash, I wanted to know a little history about the axe, so i looked on the net and this site came up. Then it surprised me to find pictures of similiar guitars like mine on the net but with distinct differences. e.g. The neck on my Tokai has the 81 look with the rod opening at the base of the neck on the body, not at the head like the 84 models. maybe im just dull and haven't read into it enough. Not sure if its intentional in a bad or good way :/. Before I forget, some other details on my guitar which i can't make out from the other pics on here.

- The back of the tuning keys have "deluxe" engraved on them? is that normal?
- The bridge runners have "Final prospect" engraved on them. Is that normal also?
-The writing on the head is in the 84 style not the 81 style. Did they run out of 84 :eek: necks?
Other than that you'll have to see the pics.

Thx for reading, have fun, and remember, its not the price you pay, its how you feel with the axe within your grasp that makes the difference between OK and Absolute magnificanto!

Hi Nicko, welcome to the Tokai Forum 8) . OK, all following from memory & just my 2cents, so others will have to correct any errors. But, ?apart from the Silverstar Strat which is copy of 70?s Fender, & which has bullet truss-rod, I think all the earlier Strat copies have truss adjustment at the body end ? maple necked examples have a rosewood plug on headstock (like US Fender), and if I recall correctly those with rosewood Fretboard are without the plug.

If guitar is a Goldstar then it will be later than 1982 ... before that they were called Springysound (yours should have name ?Goldstarsound? on headstock). L serial No. usually indicates copy of 1960-64 US Fender (see registry under Dating & ID ? compare pics of headstocks). Yep, correct/original fittings inc. tuners stamped ?Deluxe? & saddles stamped ?final prospec? (without the ?t?).

Sonic Blue quite rare colour on mid 80?s Goldstar, so nice interesting guitar :-? .

Ian.

Thankyou Ian m8, tbh, i've read all your feedback comments on other peoples inquires, and I have to hand it to you. You are what they say where I come from, a proper legend! Thankyou so much for giving me the blurb about my guitar. I suppose you have tokai's your self. got ny keepers? Il pop a pic up on here or try to of mine so you can see. The colour caught my eye more than nything and its action. Thx again m8 for all the help. 8) Its greatly appreciated.[/img]

Yipee, at last a legend in my own lunchtime :p? nah yer havin a larf m8 :lol: ... Ha OK, seriously now, some here would say the exact opposite, but of course there?s a reason why I try to post plenty of replies. Yeah, email the pics to me if you want, not sure I can tell you much more though, and as you said yourself, it?s how it feels & plays that counts. All the best :-?.

Ian.

Sorry m8, I don't know your address. mine is [email protected]. Sure you dont want you email splattered all over the place with your knowledge, you'll have a hell of a time viewing unwanted blurb from ppl like me :). taken the pics just gota send em. tata

:eek: Ian, sounds to me like you got it all right. The rosewood slab Goldstars ,Springy, TST and AST " will not have the plug or a stripe as the truss rod is installed under the slab. Lucky Lad who finds a Sonic Blue! I found an CAR AST 62' in a shop in San Antonio last week for $275 with case. I have too many of these but I could'nt resist so I bought it for $250 out the door and gave it to my daughter to go with the Bubble Gum Pink AST 62' that hangs in her bedroom. She thinks they belong to her! :lol: TG

Nick ? take more notice of guys like Tokaiguy (less notice of me), ? he?s been playing & buying Tokais and all sorts since way before I?d ever heard of them :-? . Seriously, ? I?ve been playing for ages, but only last 3 years I?ve really begun to take much notice of the detail differences between various guitars & amps.

Tokaiguy ? wow CAR AST62 for $275, now that sounds like a real deal, ? lucky girl 8) . You know, there was a time when you could find deals like that all over London, Marshall/Orange/Hiwatt valve amps & stuff going for peanuts in 1970?s & 80?s, but now it?s just crazy prices even for the most mundane crap ... oh well there?s always eBay :roll: .

Ian.

Thanks for all the help guys. This one's a keeper
I'l be in the hunt for more of the same, il try a springy next time. try out the teles maybe, who knows, what ever pops up and takes my fancy. I'll never buy from ebay however, ok for trading but if you dont know the guitar and how it feels, then its useless. If a guitar doesn't fit my needs without major tweaking then its not the right guitar for me, much like women. :wink: You knows it lads!
Happy hunting! :lol:

Sonic blue is a custom colou for Tokair,so it woul have a 5(ie:55,65...) or a 70 if headstock matches body painting.

Hey Nicko,

The guitar sounds like a TST-55 SO, which has the veneer fingerboard - not slab style. AT NO POINT do Springys or Goldstars have bullet truss rods.
Posting some pics would certainly determine the age and maybe even the model. Again as with other posts, body cavity routes, markings and stamps are proving the way to combat fakes.

regrads
Peter mac

Latest posts

Back