common problems of mik love rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajax24u

Reaction score
hi im new to this site.i just recently learned of these japanese les paul copies and was very intrigued. so i picked up a mik love rock new in box and a greco 78 les paul also.does any one have any info on these guitars concerning problems people have had with them(example. not staying in tune?should i put grovers on the love rock?qualitly of pickups?) i read that the mik lrs nut is a bone nut but it looks kinda weird.more like plastic if ya ask me.dont get me wrong though i like the guitar alot but i noticed that the strings were squeking when i was tuning them from the nut.any suggestions ,comments?

The nut just needs some filing. Common problem on production line guitars. If you don't know how, take it to a tech.

I think all Tokais have plastic nut (excepting maybe LS320 & LS200) ? but bone nut is cheap easy replacement if you take it to qualified tech for serious setup (though these guys sometimes spoil the guitar completely :eek: ). As LaXu says, pretty common problem for all makers (except maybe higher MIJ Tokai & PRS), eg check Gibson Les Paul Forum, ? seems like most new Gibsons needs nut re-cut plus serious fretwork & all sorts of other fixes/repairs.

Ian.

The Canadian distributor for Tokai orders all the Korean made Love Rocks with a real bone nut, same thing for the PRS body style guitars.

No, you didn't get it from the distributor, distributors don't sell to the public, they only sell them to us dealers, you got it from a dealer.

Hi JSD ? OK thanks ? is that a fact (Canadian distributor ordering bone) ... didn?t know they did that :-? .

Ian.

ian said:
Hi JSD ? OK thanks ? is that a fact (Canadian distributor ordering bone) ... didn?t know they did that :-? .

Ian.

Yes, he pretty much custom orders all the Tokais he brings in. Thats why we don't see those second rate Korean made models as shown in the old catalogs.

Read all my comments again, I don't describe MIKs as second rate. The ones shown in the old catalogs can be considered "second rate" when compared to the latest MIKs brought into Canada.

Hey guys,

Not to speak for JSD but I think the point he's trying to make is pretty obvious.

Take a look at the Tokai catalogs at the Registry main page and read the specifications on the Korean made Love Rocks. Then go to JSD's site and look at the specs on his Love Rock models - totally different kettle of fish. The Love Rock's JSD stocks are special ordered by the Canadian importer and are obviously built to higher standards and with better woods than those lsited in the catalogs. For example, the Canuck LR body wood is mahogany, not alder.

Jim

while I'll happily accept JSD's points about the imported Canadian spec's for the MIK Love Rock's he sells, I still find it a bit strong to describe the standard MIK's a "second rate". Kind of implies that anything other than his own merchandise isn't worth the effort. A 1970's Columbus is second rate .. I know, I had one when I was a kid - plywood body and a rubber neck. The MIK I own is far from second rate in terms of build and finish - add to that a decent set up, and I'm sure that most other owners of standard MIK's would agree. They certainly blow Epiphone et al out of the water. It all smacks a bit of elitism to this 'umble Limey. No doubt I'll be set straight in due course. :wink:

Maybe it was a bad choice of words, sorry if it was taken the wrong way. The only real point I was trying to get across is that they are not made to the old catalog specs anymore as many have dismissed the Korean Love Rock because of the old catalog specs. Some in the old catalog are actually shown as having bolt on necks and bodies made of plywood.

I hear what you say .. I checked out the Love Rocks on your site .. they are fine!! :D ... shame the same spec isn't available here in the UK for that price. And plywood belongs on a fire not on a stage.

Hands across the sea! :wink:

ajax24u said:
it said right on the ebay page that it was bone nut though.

True though it might be in this case, I'd warn you not to believe everything you read on ebay. As a forum we've done a lot of 'weeding out' for people wanting Tokai guitars and it's just as bad for everything else.

Latest posts

Back