Strat copy codes?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They?re model numbers. The ?ST? bit just stands for Stratocaster, and the numbers denote increasingly expensive versions, ie 45 is cheaper than 50, then 60 is more expensive etc. Strangely, Tokai uses the numbers to show the price in Yen, ie ST45 originally cost Y45,000 :-? .

Ian.

Thank you Ian,

So does that stand true for the increment #'s like 56 and 62?
And also, What about AST and TST?
Are there any comprehensive books that cover these guitars?

Kind regards,
Richard

Yes, I think it?s true for all Tokai guitars, not just the Strats. Well in view of what I just said about dating the AST models on another thread, it?s probably a mistake for me to answer this one lol, but what the heck :lol: ? AFAIK, it goes like this ?

?ST? = ?Stratocaster? (early Strat copies, eg 1978-82)
?TST?=?Tokai Stratocaster? (domestic Japan & European models, eg from 83-84 onwards)
?AST?=?American Stratocaster? (guitars exported to USA, from 84)

The ?AST? models have re-shaped ?pointy? headstock, presumably because USA didn't want Tokai selling precise copies in US. AFAIK, Tele?s are named in same way .. TE, TTE, ATE :-? .

Ian.

Eh,... except this one is pointy, 7okai fat-script, and has "TST" logo http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3778600023&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting ... I dunno :roll: .

Ian.

I hope I am not being a pain to you. You are being so helpful, and I want you to know, that I appreciate it very much!

What are some of the physical differences between the different price ranges for the strat copy's? Like one, I think I have picked up on, is lower priced have a poly finish, and higher are nitro. I could be wrong of course, but that seems to be a trend I am seeing.

Also, I am still looking for a reference book if there is such a animal out there.

Kind regards,
Richard

Hi CrusHtone ? nope not being a pain at all, no problem 8) . OK, well first ? that ST45 Springy looked pretty good to me at $500 BIN ? I expect someone snapped it up (you?).

Always seemed to me Tokai was pretty vague about model differences, but in general the higher models got ?better fittings?, fewer pieces of wood in construction, and maybe better selection of wood (better grain etc.).

Eg, that ST45 Springy has modern style tuners, whereas ST50 & above have vintage Kluson type split-post tuners. Probably has 3-piece body, whereas ST80 should have 2-piece. AFAIK, the bodies are generally Alder, although some lower models may have used Basswood, and some high models may be Japanese Ash (?Sen?).

It?s been said that lower models got ?U? stamped pups, intermediate models stamped ?V?, and higher models ?E? (marks on base of pup), eg http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1246&highlight=peter although I can?t verify that & don?t know how those pups differ (all sound the same to me).

Apart from current LS320 (& maybe LS200?), I think all Tokais have poly finish (not nitro). However, Tokai use the poly quite thinly, so you don?t get that thick plastic-type coating that other manufactures use. Again, I don?t think it will hurt the tone at all.

In general, higher models seem to get more attention to finish detail. Eg, lower model Les Paul copies often have less accurately cut ?trap? inlays which require black filler around the edges, only noticeable on close inspection. On Strats & Teles you may find lower models have less accurate fretwork etc.

Ian.

Hi guys

just to add to things
The AST-56 and AST-62 were not numbered after price but the years they were replicating. The AST-40 however did cost 40,000yen.
The 7okai fat-script is unique to 82-83 US model guitars
Basswood was not used until 88-89 build season and even then only on the TST-40.

about a refernce book...i'm trying to write it.

regards

Peter Mac

Back