Tokai custom edition

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_larsson85

Reaction score
I got one with an ugly green finnish one humbacker in the bridge position plus two single coils. Does anybody know some information about it and how much it could be worth??

I guess you are from Sweden, tell me a little more about your guitar and I'll try to tell you what model it is. Does it have a pointy headstock (like a Jackson) or a Fender type headstock? Does it have an Ayers Rocker (Floyd Rose type) tremolo system or is it a strat type? L White pickups? These models are generally worth less than the Fender/Gibson replicas but they are well built quality guitars. There's one for sale at http://www.blocket.se but it's not a JSX70 as the ad says, that's a completely different guitar, I know - I have one. The guitar in the ad is probably a JSR653.

Michael
Sweden

tjaba!! Yes I'm from sweden.. but I try to explain the guitar in english so that everbody can read this. The guitar have a hockeyhead, a floyd rose tremolo system and also thoose L. white pickups. The body have nearly the same look as a strat.
/Johannes

Ok, I'll check my catalogs tonight and see if I can find it. BTW, does it have a pickguard and a five position switch like a strat? It might be a JSR653 like the black one on "blocket".

Michael

Ok, it probably is a JSD653, not JSR653. JSR653 has sharkfin fretboard inlays like Jackson's but the JSD653 has dots. Also, the JSR does not have a pickguard. The green color is not mentioned in the 87/88 catalog so it might be newer than that, the model was probably available into the early 90's. I have a SD653 warranty card from -91 which is a similar model but with a gold pickguard and a fender type headstock.

Michael

Hi javelin70

In regards to the catalogs you own, do they have a "Volume ?" on them?

Most of mine have and this could help to fill in the missing ones.

please reply
Peter

Javelin,

Can you send a scan of the 87/88 catalog so I can post it on the site>.

Ned

Well, I have a few catalogs from the 80's (not many). Some of them you can find on this site, for example the "traditional series" catalog from 1984 (called early 80's on the site) and the 1985 catalog. I also have the 87-88 catalog with the MAT guitars (I think it's from -86 though) that you can find here. I also have another one showing the 86/87 models and one showing the 87/88 custom edition guitars. Regarding the price I really don't know, generally these custom and super edition guitars are really underpriced. If you compare them to a lot of other guitars of the same type from the 80's (for example Ibanez) the Tokai's in my opinion are better instruments. When I bought my JSX70 in -86 I remember looking at what probably was a JSR653, the price was SEK 5495:- (new). The price probably went up later in the 80's. If the guitar is in good overall condition I guess you would get something like SEK 3000-4000 for it. My advice is that you keep it if you like it, you will not find a better guitar for that kind of money.

Michael

hi j_larsson85

Pricing the guitars is a little tricky...
most of the numbers refer to the RETAIL cost of the guitar in yen - eg TST60(60,000yen), JSX70(70,000yen) TLS200(200,000yen)
Some of the altered guitars actually have a YEAR designation - AST56, AST62, ATE52 -
The Custom Edition have the retail number so the SD653 cost 65,000 (the 3 is a reference to the pickup choice).
The $64,000 question is what are they worth now.
WHO KNOWS. If you like the guitar and you get it at a good price, don't tell the shop and keep on pickin'
regards
Peter
PS My Custom Edition catalog is from 1986 and says Volume 12 on it. Has a shot of a girl leaning against a wall of mirror-tiles.

Latest posts

Back