Question about MIK Love Rock's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonZombie

Reaction score
Im new to the Lawsuit Guitars and was looking at a new Korean Love Rock on Ebay and can't find as much info as I would like. They look like good Guitars the Harmony central review's were good. But how do they compare to a Gibson? I have 2 1988 Les Paul's a Standard and a Custom that I love but im looking for a good copy that will hold up next to them. Do they play like a Gibson? My Paul's are like Tanks. But for the price the Love Rocks are eye catching. Any help or info would be great. Thanks, Ron

The korean made Love Rocks are very well made guitars. You can check out their specs on my site or my comments in this thread...

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3385

Thanks for the quick response. How should a MIK Lover Rock hold up next to my Les Paul"s Thanks again, Ron

I'm sure it would hold up just as well as what ya got there...;)

Mine is due to arrive any day; I'll post back when I have it in hand with some feedback. By specs and looks, and per JSD's comments, my hopes are high that she'll compare well with all but perhaps the higher end Gibsons and Tokai models.

It's been hard for me to compare specs with the LS80s/120s etc; on the one hand the Can. ones seem to be LS48s which would imply lower quality, on the other, the specs are better on paper than some of the higher end Tokai models like the ls80s. Guess proof will be in the pudding.

btw- JSD's been a real nice guy to deal with so far.

Well just my 2-cents, but ?Korean Tokai pretty inexpensive & maybe unreasonable to compare Gibson at 5x the price ? Toyota Corolla is a good car, but would you really ask salesman ?will it compare well to Aston Martin?? :roll: .

Ian.

I agree with Ian. It's a very good guitar for the price, but it won't stand up to a Gibson. It's in the same league as epiphone, albeit higher ranked.

Tokai only start taking on Gibson when you get to the Japanese models.

I agree with the car analogy, however in my opinion, the new 2004 Korean LR does stand up to a Gibson.
I recently did a comparison at L&M Music.

All very true comments, you realistically can't expect a guitar in the $500 range to be as good as a $2500 guitars but it holds it's own and it just goes to show how inflated that $2500 price tag is.

OK, in case my comment re Corolla/Aston sounded harsh, should maybe add that there?s no end of complaint on LPF re Gibbo QC issues (on Std & Classic) ? not good enough in $2000 guit. IMO :roll: , ? MIK Tokai probably far better in that respect, & way better bang for your $ ? but maybe worth stretching to MIJ (used examples can be found for price of new MIK, if you?re prepared to look). Shrugs,?just my 2:cents, YMMV :-? .

Ian.

All sounds reasonable.

So, in what ways specifically - other than electronics - does a MIK Tokai differ from the Japanese Tokai's or the Gibby LP's ?

I just don't know, marketing being what it is, I'm not convinced a $5k guitar represents 5000 worth of materials and craftsmanship as much as creating an impression. Is it possible the Koreans are trying to establish a reputation for being equivalent to the Japanese build quality and pricing low to penetrate a market they blew the first time around? I think the specifics of what's different would help establish the answers.

(And frankly, there are plenty of expensive cars that don't offer much more than brand appeal at four times the price, it's almost a perfect analogy ;-).

Not really trying to be contrarian just trying to see if there might be more to the new MIK models than meets the eye based on past history and current price; I mean, much of the same was said regarding the Japan-made models 25 years ago, no? The best people to opine would be those who've done some comparisons and are most familiar with the MIK construction, materials, etc.

Hi guys,

First post here as I have recently bought a 2003 Japanese Love Rock 8)
I have owned a Gibson Les Paul Studio and also played several different Gibson LP Standards and Classics.

The Tokai plays better than any of them and is put together much better as well.

I found that when I looked closely at the Gibsons I could always pick a few little holes in the workmanship but I've had the Tokai for a couple of weeks and I still can't find anything wrong with it :)

The pots and switch are also of a good quality and easily stand up to the Gibson stuff.

The Gibson pickups are better sounding in my opinion but these are relatively cheap to replace and you also get the benefit of choosing exactly what to replace them with.

I have not played a Korean Love Rock to compare but I chose a used Japanese model over a new Korean one as the prices were very similar.

Hope some of that info helps :)

Latest posts

Back