White 1984 SG50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Did anyone see this auction?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320531842817&_trksid=e11010.m203&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DI%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUCI%26otn%3D4&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:1348

I felt very tempted, but someone grabbed it at the BIN price while I dithered. Did anyone here buy it?

What's the verdict guys & girls? Did I miss a bargain? Or did I have a lucky escape?

Mike

Suspect you and the rest of missed a bargain.... Seems a lowish price - perhaps becuase of the paint touch up on the headstock and horn?

One other point that I thought some of you Gibson types would notice - this SG seems to have the infamous fret edge binding. On an SG50? :eek:

I picked this SG up for a friend. I'll let you know more about it when it arrives. The "bleached" looking areas in the finish are indeed mysterious.

Take a look at the photos of the finish under the bridge and tail piece - those areas also look "bleached". I have to assume the color differences under the bridge and tail piece is a function of its exposure to light, etc.

So - were the other areas with the "bleached" looking finish covered up with something too? Wierd.

As far as the fret edge binding is concerned, just because it was listed as an SG50 doesn't mean that it is. It could be a higher numbered model.

I think youre freind got a good buy :D Please let us know how it plays when it arrives.

I fancy a nice wide necked SG...

Dave

Freebird said:
I picked this SG up for a friend. I'll let you know more about it when it arrives.

As far as the fret edge binding is concerned, just because it was listed as an SG50 doesn't mean that it is. It could be a higher numbered model.

Just what I was thinking - it must be higher than a 50? Shame you were more decisive than me.

When it arrives, please tell me it has a big fat neck - then I won't feel so bad about missing out on it! The red Tokai SG I bought in the late 80s had a slim neck & I kinda assumed they all had the same sort of neck.

stratman323 said:
Freebird said:
I picked this SG up for a friend. I'll let you know more about it when it arrives.

Just what I was thinking - it must be higher than a 50? Shame you were more decisive than me.

When it arrives, please tell me it has a big fat neck - then I won't feel so bad about missing out on it! The red Tokai SG I bought in the late 80s had a slim neck & I kinda assumed they all had the same sort of neck.

The seller - Chingo - describes a slim neck profile. That's what my friend prefers. I like a bigger neck myself. I got lucky a while back and purchased a 1987 Greco Mint Collection SG Jr. (in white) from Guitargai that has a neck as big any any of the Super Reals I've owned. From what I can gather, a big neck is unusual for that time frame Mint Collections. Another head scratcher.

Hi guys,

I think everyone missed it - including chingo.
The guitar shown is a TSG-60 OW, which is a replica of the Type 1 '61-63 Gibson SG Standard. Whoever did buy got a great buy from the look of it.
The TSG-50 is a Type 4 SG Standard replica from '72.

regards
Peter Mac

Freebird said:
stratman323 said:
Freebird said:

The seller - Chingo - describes a slim neck profile. That's what my friend prefers. I like a bigger neck myself. I got lucky a while back and purchased a 1987 Greco Mint Collection SG Jr. (in white) from Guitargai that has a neck as big any any of the Super Reals I've owned. From what I can gather, a big neck is unusual for that time frame Mint Collections. Another head scratcher.

This white 84 OW 57 PAF SG60 is exactly my 85 OW 57 PAF SG60 sister. I don't find where you've read "slim neck profile", mine has a big chunky neck, FEB and also the neck joint hairline lacquer crack. I paid mine $420 from USA last year (? - $ was 1.5), was a very good deal too, in mint condition.
I don't know why, but this fat neck is very comfortable.

I am not an SG fan of any sorts or know anything about them...But is that weight right, 2.75 KG ...That is lighter than my capo...Is it mahogany ..please enlighten me on SGs ...DOH!

MOJO HOBO

dombat said:
I don't find where you've read "slim neck profile", mine has a big chunky neck, FEB and also the neck joint hairline lacquer crack.

It says so in the advert.

I recieved the SG today. Fast shipping from Japan to New York. Packed very securely. Aside from needing a set-up, I think it will play very well. The pickups are strong, pots are nearly completely quiet.

For what it's worth, I measured the neck thinkness - .885" at the 1st fret, .932" at the 11th fret. That's a pretty good size profile. Not quite as big as a 58 or 59 les paul, but bigger than most of the 1960 les paul necks on record (Beauty of the Burst as reference).

As far as the "bleached" areas on the finish, there are a couple other areas on the front of the body that look as though there were once stickers. The color is a little different in these spots. Structurally, the guitar appears sound.

Freebird said:
I recieved the SG today. Fast shipping from Japan to New York. Packed very securely. Aside from needing a set-up, I think it will play very well. The pickups are strong, pots are nearly completely quiet.

For what it's worth, I measured the neck thinkness - .885" at the 1st fret, .932" at the 11th fret. That's a pretty good size profile. Not quite as big as a 58 or 59 les paul, but bigger than most of the 1960 les paul necks on record (Beauty of the Burst as reference).

As far as the "bleached" areas on the finish, there are a couple other areas on the front of the body that look as though there were once stickers. The color is a little different in these spots. Structurally, the guitar appears sound.

Nice.... I was eyeballing that one..... almost bid on it and realized I have SG's that haven't seen daylight in over a year :oops:

Back