advice for a newbie!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedoubleg

Reaction score
hi there ive found a bacchus bst 57 online for ?1000. is this a good price? i was originally looking to get a tokai but people seem to be really loving the bacchus. this bst 57 has a fender style headstock, does this mean it is a vintage series? as i say im new to japanese guitars. thanks. Theo

Member MIJvintage can probably clarify the headstock distinction. I'm a recently new Bacchus strat owner - a BST 64-V...... the white one in the first few pics of this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14061&sid=dfff5d9fc6456fcbe90b624e1a28ccdc

Been playing it constantly.... currently my go to strat. I have three old Tokai Springys as well. They are two totally different animals. The Tokais are more "vintage" in terms of output. The Bacchus has some of the most ballsy strat pickups I've ever played. Best neck position pickup ever and the bridge has plenty of meaty mid tone .... not shrill at all. However, I do prefer the middle pickup "spank" of a Fender or Tokai pickup.

As far as the build quality of the Bacchus, it's easily Fender Custom Shop quality.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either but I feel that Bacchus strats are kind of a sleeping giant that haven't quite taken off yet.

marcusnieman said:
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either but I feel that Bacchus strats are kind of a sleeping giant that haven't quite taken off yet.

just wait 'til you get your hands on a BLS-59 :D :wink: ............... a Les Paul will never be the same 8) .............

thedoubleg said:
hi there ive found a bacchus bst 57 online for ?1000. is this a good price?

That seems a lot - is it used? The last couple in the UK have been around the 600 pound mark, so a grand seems like a bit of a step up...

Or is this a weak pound situation, with an overseas buy?

?1000 is OTT even in the UK where our prices are generally more than anywhere else. I just sold one for a lot less than that, there is also another BST-57 on ebay UK for ?699 which is a great price! I know the guitar too and it's a very nice example!

thanks for all the replys, this bacchus is the only one on ebay uk. they guy has relisted it lots of times but recently put the price up (although i cant see that putting the price up will help it sell) it seems tokais are more of the guitar im looking for, a more vintage sound, correct me if im wrong but bacchus seem very "polished"

Yes, I see he's put the price up, drop him a message and make him an outside of ebay offer, I know he seller, Brian he's a good honest guy, and I know the guitar, it used to be mine and it is a very nice one!

I wouldn't call Bacchus' 'polished' they are just very well made copies of vintage Strats IMO definetely better than a Tokai unless you get an ST80 or up, and then you are talking similar money.

The Yuta pickups are a bit hotter than typical vintage strat pickups, but still very 'stratty'

Typically the maple necked Bacchus strats have VERY big necks, but this particular one has quite a small (by Bacchus standards) V profile.

If you are looking for a top-quality Strat you can't go wrong with a Bcchus.

Back