A Tokai Book

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks, sorry for radio silence. Little one has been ill the past week but on the mend now. Dont think I will be able to get the ?25 max discount from Blurb before the end of the month but I may just do a test print with what I have to see the quality for myself before doing a full run.

One problem I am also facing is that the text box does not allow the import of tables so I am going to create them as images to imbed in the text.

Next phase is to verify guitar text detail - or gather if not already submitted and then I am into the order phase.

One dilema I have is the number of pages with the text (6 pages at least) has gone over the 80 threshold so the base price would rise from ?22 to ?27 so do you have any comments on an extra ?5 to include Silverstars and a few Special editions or cut these out knowing that there may not be enough for a volume 2 on those alone?

I've got a week off coming up so will be able to push forward during that.

Iain

I've pm'd my vote for the ?27 edition. Any book on strats has to have some o' them big ol' headstocks :D

Iain,

You can put me down for one. Id like to include mine if there's room but understand you've got to draw the line somewhere if you've got enough or I'm too late.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16082

I emailed Iain last week and he is back on the case following his holidays. I think he is chasing folks for outstanding photographs.

I wondered that, so I dropped Iain a line in August. He said he had been away, & he was awaiting a few pics. He said "I hope to get it sorted by the end of the year with the dark nights coming in. Better to do it slowly and make it better."

I hope Iain doesn't mind me quoting what he said in a private e.mail, but I know he hasn't been on the forum much recently.

So it looks like the next UK convention will take place before the book is ready. See separate post (soon) for details.

:wink:

Folks, sorry it has been so long since I have been in touch. I will explain. First, the good news, the book is ready to print! The bad news is I have hit a snag. You may know stratman232 (Mike) was recently banned from the forum and his reaction was to email a number of us to tell us where we could keep in touch with him however he also mailed me directly saying that he felt he had to withdraw from the book as it was inextricably linked to the Tokai forum. He also mentioned that he always wanted to do his own Tokai book with his own guitars.

I wrote back a number of times to Mike arguing that the book was about the guitars and people and about the commitment that he had made and the work I had done on all of his pages. I got no reply for a number of weeks then he responded after finding my mails in his junkmail. Mike was still adamant that the book was about the forum. I made one last attempt to bring him round by offering to change the book title to Tokai Owners Guitar Collection. Mike responded 2 days ago saying that his step Dad had died and he was going to be away for a while sorting things out. He said he hadn't read my mail but felt he wouldnt change his mind.

So there you have it, we are where we are. I feel pissed off but Mikes situation obviously puts it all into context. I want to push ahead for all the other contributors so the bottom line is I have to remove 11 of the 32 guitars featured in the book. Some of Mikes guitars were unique e.g. the red metallic sparkle sunburst. I think his is the only natural finish and he has 2 of the 2 Silverstars on there. As I see it the options are:

1. Delete the pages with Mikes guitars and publish as is. This may make the book cheaper but not as comprehensive. This would also be a quick option for those who have waited so patiently. What I can do is edit the book and upload it to shared view on the Blurb website for you all to help decide.

2. We delete Mikes pages and then fill some up with the few straggles who hadn't got their photos to me by the deadline. I will chase a few people up but give them a deadline of getting their shots to me by the end of January.

3. We delete Mikes pages and try to replace the gaps that that creates. That may take a little longer but I recall a lot of comments saying its better to take longer to make it better.

Anyway, there you have it. I just want to thank you all for your patience and support and look forward to your comments. I think when we get the book sorted it will all have been worth it. Cheers,

Iain

That's frustrating news, although I'm sad for Mike's loss. I tend to agree with Iain; in my mind the book was always about the guitars, not the forum but having such a major contributor withdraw is a big loss.

How many (suitable) stragglers do you have? Do you feel that we could build a valid book from those and others we may know about? Maybe those eager contributors would also have other guitars which might fill the gaps (and might also be motivated to provide the images quickly).

(btw, as I only visit occasionally, why was Mike banned?)

Andrew

Latest posts

Back