A Tokai Book

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The text before the tables does say that variations exist. The U / E stamped pickups are a common differentiator (even if not perfect) so I'd prefer to keep that point in if we can (but maybe mention that both Es and Us are seen on ST60s.

Mike, to your earlier points, I think we can accommodate all of those to get a clean picture.

The one big question I have is over the Silver Star pickups as Peter Mac seems pretrty clear that the low-end pickups are Ceramic and stamped H and S where-as everyone seems to lean towards them all being Alnico. It seems a big distinction and I guess it is possible that the "Ceramic" is a typo caused by Peter copying and editing the above Springy table. In which case (thinking as I type), would everyone be happy if we described SS36-40 as "Alnico (sometimes H stamped)" and the SS48-50 as "Alnico (sometimes S Stamped)?

Let me know,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I respect Peter & his knowledge of Tokais, but I think he's got a little confused about ceramic Strat pickups. I think maybe your latest suggestion is the best compromise.

I know this has been a lot of work, but (IMHO) these tables & your text are likely to lift this above being just a picture book to being a useful & accurate reference document. Which can't be bad, can it?

:D

OK, updated tables included here:

http://burningpine.com/TokaiForeword.aspx

I think what we have now is a good, general guide. Remember the intention is not to create the definitive guide covering every variation (that's Peter Mac's job :D ), but a strong overview.

Once again, all feedback gratefully received but I think we are close to locking this down now.

Many thanks to everyone for their enthusiastic and impassioned input :)

In my opinion, that's about the closest we're going to get in a table - well done. :D Accurate, but not too detailed or complicated.

I like wording such as "The 3 bolt SS60 appears to have been in production only in 1980-81". It's really not possible to be precise about many Tokais when it comes to exact year of production, we've seen many variables that challenge conventional wisdom, so a bit of vagueness is better than being too precise & misleading anyone.

Having seen a few of Iain's draft pages, I am confident that we're onto a winner here. 8)

Fantastic! I've also seen a few of the photo pages - here and a draft of one of my Springy Sounds - and they look great :D

I'll email Iain the final version of the article later today (allowing for any further feedback).

stratman323 said:
In my opinion, that's about the closest we're going to get in a table - well done. :D Accurate, but not too detailed or complicated.

I like wording such as "The 3 bolt SS60 appears to have been in production only in 1980-81". It's really not possible to be precise about many Tokais when it comes to exact year of production, we've seen many variables that challenge conventional wisdom, so a bit of vagueness is better than being too precise & misleading anyone.

Having seen a few of Iain's draft pages, I am confident that we're onto a winner here. 8)

Iain and Andrew, you seem to have made Mike happy, quite an achievement :wink:

Looking forward to the book!! :D

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:
Iain and Andrew, you seem to have made Mike happy, quite an achievement :wink:

:evil:

Bloody Northerners!

Tokais make me happy.

:wink:

Bloody Southeners! I'd hate to see what you would be like without Tokais then :wink:

To paraphrase the great Harry Hill...

Northerners? Southerners? But which is best? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!

Hope it doesn't get too messy at the next convention!

Cheers

Dave

Folks some refinement to my springy pages. I added more detail but results in smaller shots. Any thoughts on which looks best?

redhead.jpg

vs more detail

redhead2.jpg

Hi Iain,

I think the more detailed version works. It is only one additional photo per page and isn't too crowded.

You could always vary page layout for different guitars / pages so that the overall effect is not too monotonous and possibly looks more spacious.

Andrew

Iain, would you consider including some kind of acknowledgement to Ned Callan for bringing us all together?

amunro said:
Hi Iain,

I think the more detailed version works. It is only one additional photo per page and isn't too crowded.

You could always vary page layout for different guitars / pages so that the overall effect is not too monotonous and possibly looks more spacious.

Andrew

+ 1. You can also vary it depending on what pics you get sent. We don't need a dozen pics of a FINAL PROSPEC bridge or a VI pickup, but you can change things around so that there is a balance in the book.

I can mention Ned in the aknowledgement section of the cover jacket. Thanks for comments on the pages. As you can see from the examples there is a variation in range of shots and some layouts around a central theme. this is due to image size and range of shots supplied. i do want to capture the different spec in photo and taxt on the page and this can be cross refered to the tables at the front.

What are the odds that there will be discrepancies :D !

Back