A Tokai Book

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a great read Andrew. Would you consider putting "rock'n'roll" before the 'fanatics' bit at the end?

Tom

mirrorboy said:
That's a great read Andrew. Would you consider putting "rock'n'roll" before the 'fanatics' bit at the end?

Tom

Now that's a good point. The earliest Goldies had MADE IN JAPAN BY ROCK N ROLL FANATICS as the bottom line of the decal, but that was quickly changed to THE QUALITY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS OF THE WORLD. But all of mine have the later writing - does anyone have a Goldie with the first set of words?

Hi Iain,

Hope its not too late! I've now got photos of my Metallic Blue and Lake Placid Blue Goldies. I've pm'd you.
Cheers
Dave

All,

I have just posted what I think should be the final version of the intro onto my site at: http://burningpine.com/TokaiForeword.aspx.

This version includes some updates and edits from Peter Mac including the table for Silver Stars (many thanks Peter, that saved me several hours).

As ever, let me have any feedback. I know that Iain is keen to get this locked as soon as possible.

thanks.

imosdad said:
Hi Iain,

Hope its not too late! I've now got photos of my Metallic Blue and Lake Placid Blue Goldies. I've pm'd you.
Cheers
Dave

It would be great to have examples of these two often confused colours next to each other in the book. :D

iainblack said:
We get 20% off if we order by the end of March too!

Sounds like a deadline :wink:

I think it's going to be great, the intro from Andrew is fantastic, and the pics I've seen so far look reallly good! Well done Iain and all that have contributed, sterling effort!!

amunro said:
All,

I have just posted what I think should be the final version of the intro onto my site at: http://burningpine.com/TokaiForeword.aspx.

This version includes some updates and edits from Peter Mac including the table for Silver Stars (many thanks Peter, that saved me several hours).

As ever, let me have any feedback. I know that Iain is keen to get this locked as soon as possible.

thanks.

Just a few queries on the Silver Star table. An SS 36-40 is as likely to have a 4 piece body as an ST40 is - either could be 3 or 4 piece, as far as I can see. I have certainly seen a 4 piece SS36/8/40.

Also you have omitted the more common version of the SS60 - the 4 bolt type Peter refers to seems to be less common than the 3 bolt SS60 that I have and a couple of other forum members have too. These don't have Kluson tuners, & the pickups on mine are unstamped, which seems to be usual for Silver Stars.

And finally, I don't recall seeing ceramic pickups on even the cheapest SSs, the ones I've seen all have unstamped grey bottom Alnicos. Were any SS pickups stamped? How do you stamp the bar magnet on a ceramic pickup?

stratman323 said:
Just a few queries on the Silver Star table.

I need to defer to you guys on this. I can profess to knowing a little about Springy Sounds; I know nothing about Silver Stars.

From reading the other threads, Mike, it seems that you know a fair bit about these. Would it be reasonable for you and Peter Mac to agree whatever changes you want to make to the table to get the facts right without becoming too mired in the detail? :D

I thought Springy Sounds were hard but the world of Silver Stars looks a quantum level more complex :eek:

Silver Stars are not really my thing, but the details I mentioned were discussed in detail in that thread I referred to earlier. That should tell you everything I know, & a lot more. I've only ever owned 2 Silver Stars, but you're right, they do seem to be more complicated to work out than the other Strats.

Since Iain will be using pics of my 3-bolt SS60 (I was just taking some more a few minutes ago), it would be a bit confusing if the table in the book suggests that it doesn't exist. As for the ceramic pickup bit, I have never heard anyone suggest that before, & (with all due respect) I have no idea where Peter gets that from.

Just so we know what we're discussing, these are the pickups from the entry level SS I used to own. Unstamped grey bottom alnicos.

IMG_2568.jpg

Ceramic pickups are the ones with a single bar magnet on the bottom. Or have I totally misunderstood what is meant by ceramic?

Here we go - these are ceramic pickups.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250591499799&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

The earliest Goldies had MADE IN JAPAN BY ROCK N ROLL FANATICS as the bottom line of the decal, but that was quickly changed to THE QUALITY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS OF THE WORLD. But all of mine have the later writing - does anyone have a Goldie with the first set of words?

One of my goldies has the first set of words. Does this mean the date of manufacture can be narrowed down to a particular year?

bamyasi said:
One of my goldies has the first set of words. Does this mean the date of manufacture can be narrowed down to a particular year?

I've got an idea that it means it's one of the earliest ones, but I don't have any proof of that. It's not the black one you bought from me, so tell us more.

I bought an ST50 new in December 1983, it must have been one of the first script decal Goldies on the market, & I think it had the first set of words. But I don't have any pics, & I sold it in 1987 so my memory may be failing me. But I don't recall seeing another Goldie with that writing since, & I always wondered why.

Why would they change it anyway?

stratman323 said:
bamyasi said:

I've got an idea that it means it's one of the earliest ones, but I don't have any proof of that. It's not the black one you bought from me, so tell us more.

I bought an ST50 new in December 1983, it must have been one of the first script decal Goldies on the market, & I think it had the first set of words. But I don't have any pics, & I sold it in 1987 so my memory may be failing me. But I don't recall seeing another Goldie with that writing since, & I always wondered why.

Why would they change it anyway?

Here is a link to some pictures of the goldie with the "Made In Japan By.." decal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46160831@N08/sets/72157623035123767/detail/

Were there differences in goldies in US and Europe? Could it have something to do with that?

bamyasi said:
Here is a link to some pictures of the goldie with the "Made In Japan By.." decal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46160831@N08/sets/72157623035123767/detail/

Were there differences in goldies in US and Europe? Could it have something to do with that?

Nice. So that's the one with the jumbo frets you mentioned? Shame about that, it looks just like my white one apart from that.

Maybe Iain will want to include it in the book as a brief phase in Tokai history? I think I would.

The headstock shape on US market Goldies changed in either 1984 or 1985, in Europe we got them with the F headstock until later, though I've never been able to pin down exactly when the UK ones changed. I wouldn't have thought that would account for the difference.

Trying to close down the Silver Star debate, I have extended the table to refer to both versions of the SS60 with some notes to explain.

I'd be grateful if some knowledgable folks could review and comment.

A couple of points:

First, I guessed at the pickup types for the flat pole-piece SS60s. Can someone validate?

Secondly, we still need to resolve the question of pickups on the lower end SS36-40 and SS48-50 models.

As before, the updated article is here:http://burningpine.com/TokaiForeword.aspx

I tried just to paste the table in here but it went all to hell :)

Just to add to the confusion :wink:

There were also some ST-70 Springy's maple capped maple boards with no skunk stripe, and slab board rosewood.

Mick (Leadguitar323) has one of the maple ones

Latest posts

Back