John Peel Dies

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
John Peel dies (heart attack, aged 65) ? he was a DJ on UK radio for 40 years (think he worked in the US too). I don?t know much about him, but a lot of people greatly respect him and say he played records that others wouldn?t touch & was more responsible than anyone for giving breaks to countless deserving bands. Others here will probably know more about him.

Ian.

Woah...

Haven't even seen any news today, that's a real downer.

John Peel was born & raised on Merseyside and came through the music scene in the 60's, started broadcasting on pirate radio ships (don't know what he did beforehand), but then joined BBC Radio 1 on its inception, but unlike all his counterparts of the time, he was the ONLY DJ to remain on Radio 1 for over 30 years!

His taste in music was eclectic, he pioneered Punk in the 70's, Hardcore Punk (notably Naplam Death) in the late 80's, regularly featured Reggae and other "World Music" as well as popular styles, and just simply LOVED music in all its forms, and regularly popped up on TV with his laconic drawl and effervescent(?) wit.

A real loss.

He will be missed...it's such a sad day for music.

I remember him as my teenage guru when he introduced me to all these amazing bands we never heard of before in France. I now live in the UK and all the people I've met tonight feel like their "uncle" died when they heard the news.

Bye dude and thank you.

Latest posts

Back