pickup suggestions for a Tokai Silver Star TSS-85

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlovee

Reaction score
Hi all, Just picked up a Silver Star 7okai off of Ebay, a TSS-85! I had to get it, I figured I wouldn't see a high end model like this again for awhile.

Anyhow, I took a look at the pickups and at first I thought, **** someone swapped in some cheap-*** pickups. They had black plastic backing and about the thinest wires I've ever seen. I removed one and took a look inside the pickup cover and was surprized to see Dimarzio's name stamped there! Man were they ever cutting corners back in 1980. So I'm assuming now that these were the original pickups since I know that Tokai was using Dimarzio's in their high end models. Too bad, I would have preferred Tokai's own, U or V stamped pickups.

So my question is...Have any of you swapped out your original vintage Tokai pickups (esp. the Dimarzio's)? What did you use? Does anyone have any old "U" or "V" stamped pickups for sale by any chance?

Other then the pickups I'm very pleased with the guitar by the way. If there's any interest I'll post some pics and give you a more detailed description.

The guitar is a 1-piece ash with maple neck.

thanks,
carlovee

Latest posts

Back