SG Neck profile - 60s slim taper ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASTER VOLUME

Reaction score
Hi , been a while since I have been on here. good to be back,
As the SG was introduced in 1961 does it mean that they have the 60s slim taper necks ?

MASTER VOLUME said:
Hi , been a while since I have been on here. good to be back,
As the SG was introduced in 1961 does it mean that they have the 60s slim taper necks ?

My experience with 60's style SG's is that the necks are wide, flat and thin..... not like a 60's slim (narrow) taper on say a 335.

The Epi '61 reissue SG I have is very similar in terms of neck feel to my Orville 335 which is a slim taper neck. If you're looking for a thicker neck on an SG, from memory people have said that Burny SG necks have a bit of meat on them.

The original definition of a slim taper neck was one that varied in thickness (front to back) from the 1st fret to the 12th by only 1/10 of an inch. It did not mean the neck was "skinny" or small. The neck on the 1960 Les Paul is barely any thinner than the 1959, in some cases 1960 LPs measure the same as some 1959 models. But this was the first appearance of the "slim taper" and it just meant that the neck didn't get much fatter as you moved towards the body of the guitar.

Unfortunately Gibson started using the slim taper with many of their necks, and the idea that different models would have different sized slim taper necks due to the fact they were different guitars was overlooked/ignored, and people just called every neck that was thin a "slim taper" neck. Also Gibson have changed their neck profiles over the years and within the same model lines. Then you have the Japanese who started copying in the 70s and would have been confronted with a baffling range of neck sizes to check. Greco seems to have used a fatter 1958 profile for most of their high end clones, Tokai went for a few different profiles including 59 and 60, but seemed to have settled on 59 profiles all the way for the current guitars.

It has led to a lot of confusion.

My own Bacchus Duke LP has a fat neck but it does not get much fatter at the heel, so it would very likely be called a slim taper neck, but it is not a small neck believe me.

Latest posts

Back