Newbie needs your advice. Korean or Chinese?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stratman323 said:
How many private individuals selling guitars on here have the facility to accept credit card payments? I don't.

If you have a Paypal account, you have the option to pay by credit card, as long as the seller has a Paypal account too. I probably wouldn't buy if the seller doesn't have a Paypal account. Thanks Mike, I should have mentioned that :oops: .

Axchisler said:
Ozeshin said:
Meh I knew we should'nt have used the same advertising company..!!! :eek:

Forgive my lack of terminology Oz, but what does "Meh" mean???

Thanks
It's usually accompanied with a shoulder shrug...maybe "Bah" in non-gamer lingo?

I though the French had copyright on The Shoulder Shrug? Nobody does it quite like they do.

:lol:

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Mike, in the earlier catalogues i have all the Korean models {LP} were either plywood or Alder, the Korean SG's were Nato, no mention of Agathis at all...

Mick

Speaking of Korean, know what the Fakai's LP's and PRS's (Dillion) are made from? If we're going to dismiss these as inferior, it would still be interesting to know what they're specs are, whether we want one or not, for guys on a budget. Might even take some inflation from the real deal... :wink:

Actually no one thinks they are inferior, just NOT Tokai's. They have mahogany bodies with maple necks and a lot of them came out of the Dillion factory in Korea. I have read a few reviews from guys thinking they were Tokai's and some raved about them..

Mick

Thanks for the reply Mick, but I tend to disagree about them being inferior. I bought one of the Dillion made Tokai PRS copies and while it's a well made guitar, the back is not any kind of Mahogany I have seen before. At best it may be alder, it is heavy so def not basswood. The neck binding is also about one third thinner. IMO, a great guitar for under $300 US, but not even close to a MIJ Tokai's tone. I mean no disrespect to Korean made guitars, they're the next best thing to MIJ pricewise vs quality. Anyone thinking about buying one should just be sure to ask here first and make sure they get a good deal. So one day when they sell it can get back what they payed and buy a MIJ Tokai. 8)

Axchisler said:
Hey Rob, you may want to check out guitar forums too along with eBay. Lots of guitars for sale cuz posting is free. I found a really nice OBG Goldtop at The Gear Page through referral from a poster here. Be careful though and get references, and pay by credit card so you can do a chargeback if the guitar doesn't arrive. Fortunately, most folks I've dealt with have been very good people.

Hi Axchisler! Thanks for your recommendation. You're right, I think I just needed to patient in my search. The net is indeed a vast treasure hunt. In the past, I've also found good deals online and thankfully all of them have been really nice to deal with as well. It's been a month now that I've been sniping all forums, guitar shops and ebay. And just recently, I think I found the goldtop I've been seeking for.

Will update you all if it pushes thru! For now, all I can do is cross my fingers =)

Rob

Very cool Rob! Patience is a very hard thing I know. You see a guitar and say "wow! I gotta get that before someone else does!" However, you should let the forum know what you're looking at to make sure you get a good deal. I don't think anyone here would snipe it from you, that's just not proper forum etiquette :wink: . Feel free to post other guitars you aren't planning to buy though 8) .

Axchisler said:
Thanks for the reply Mick, but I tend to disagree about them being inferior. I bought one of the Dillion made Tokai PRS copies and while it's a well made guitar, the back is not any kind of Mahogany I have seen before. At best it may be alder, it is heavy so def not basswood. The neck binding is also about one third thinner. IMO, a great guitar for under $300 US, but not even close to a MIJ Tokai's tone. I mean no disrespect to Korean made guitars, they're the next best thing to MIJ pricewise vs quality. Anyone thinking about buying one should just be sure to ask here first and make sure they get a good deal. So one day when they sell it can get back what they payed and buy a MIJ Tokai. 8)

I should edit this as it's not very clear, but this post should help:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13366&highlight=dillion

Axchisler said:
Very cool Rob! Patience is a very hard thing I know. You see a guitar and say "wow! I gotta get that before someone else does!" However, you should let the forum know what you're looking at to make sure you get a good deal. I don't think anyone here would snipe it from you, that's just not proper forum etiquette :wink: . Feel free to post other guitars you aren't planning to buy though 8) .

I completely agree with you, I must admit sometimes I tend to get impulsive and I'm really glad for everyone's guidance and advice on matters like this. I've learned a lot and hopefully this will help other guitarists in the future when they stumble upon these kind of deals/guitars online. I'm grateful I got to hold this goldtop GAS off and with patience, eventually the right one always comes to us. Again thanks for everyone's insights and I'm very thankful to have asked in the right forum. =)

Thanks again and best regards to all!

THE RISING FORCE said:
yeah tama yan tol...san mo nabili yan boss?

Hey there, pardon the long reply I just got to check in here again!

Anyway.. Thanks! Unfortunately, I didn't get this one..

After hearing everyone's insights, thoughts and advices, I did more searching and testing of guitars and I found this instead. Here's a pic from the seller:

Goldie2.jpg

Many thanks again to everyone's help on my inquiry! =)

Ozeshin said:
I would have said Korean but like Marcus the TRC is a worry and the blank pickups as well...no sticker or markings at all...also...the Tokai logo script is VERY close to the top of the headstock :eek:
I DO think it's Korean built....just doubtful as to whether it's a Tokai or not.
Welcme back Oze,we`ve missed ya! :) Gabe.

Latest posts

Back