Newbie needs your advice. Korean or Chinese?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Chinese ones are basswood the earlier Korean ones were alder, agathis would be closer to Mahogany than the other 2 wood types. If you are after a mahogany Tokai, look at the lower end Japanese models, they are much better guitars and have the correct build specs..

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
The Chinese ones are basswood the earlier Korean ones were alder, agathis would be closer to Mahogany than the other 2 wood types. If you are after a mahogany Tokai, look at the lower end Japanese models, they are much better guitars and have the correct build specs..

Mick

Thanks for your response Mick!

You're absolutely right. I always thought that Korean Tokais also used the standard Mahogany + Maple top for the body. Yes, I am after a mahogany LP and since this isn't, now I won't even bother. Now I can sleep.

Many thanks again for your insight and best regards =)

Rob

I thought the Chinese Tokais were agathis? It's true that the Korean ones are alder body & set maple neck, but they do seem to be good guitars. The friend who bought mine loves it & uses it as his regular gigging guitar, leaving his Gibson at home.

But personally, I would rather pay a bit extra and get one of the entry level MIJ Tokais, they are the real bargains.

Mike

stratman323 said:
I thought the Chinese Tokais were agathis? It's true that the Korean ones are alder body & set maple neck, but they do seem to be good guitars. The friend who bought mine loves it & uses it as his regular gigging guitar, leaving his Gibson at home.

But personally, I would rather pay a bit extra and get one of the entry level MIJ Tokais, they are the real bargains.

Mike

Thanks for the confirmation on this Mike! Big help here. I totally get you, I originally was going for an MIJ Tokai but I stumbled upon this and I just wanted to double-check since I was not familiar with Korean Tokais.

But now that you mentioned that your friend is having fun with it despite him having a Gibson makes me think twice about again.

Thanks again for your insight and best regards =)

Rob

Put it this way, in the UK a Korean LS48 would sell for around ?200 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. An entry-level MIJ (LS70? LS80?) would probably cost ?350 to ?400 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. If you have the extra money, get a Japanese one. If you don't, a Korean one should be a good guitar - mine was.

stratman323 said:
Put it this way, in the UK a Korean LS48 would sell for around ?200 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. An entry-level MIJ (LS70? LS80?) would probably cost ?350 to ?400 on eBay, maybe a little less if you're lucky. If you have the extra money, get a Japanese one. If you don't, a Korean one should be a good guitar - mine was.

This Goldtop actually goes for ?270. Now that you mentioned it, I feel the tag on this one is pretty steep. You're right, with a little more I can definitely go for an MIJ copy instead. But the thing is, I'm pretty dead set on getting a Goldtop and I find it a bit difficult to seek for a Goldtop in MIJ brands such as Burny, Greco, Grassroots, National, Aria Pro, Edwards, etc. If I do spot a MIJ Tokai Goldtop, it's the one with P90s.

For now looks like I'll pass on this Korean goldtop. At the end of the day, I can't trust all of the imports coming from China and Korea since there is too many forgeries, and some of them are pretty **** good knock offs. You probably were lucky to have a good Korean Tokai.

Btw did your Korean LP come with a serial number with markings behind the headstock and in the pups?

Rob

stratman323 said:
I would rather pay a bit extra and get one of the entry level MIJ Tokais, they are the real bargains.

Mike

I agree 100%....They are ridiculous bargains.

OuttaspaceMan said:
stratman323 said:

This Goldtop actually goes for ?270. Now that you mentioned it, I feel the tag on this one is pretty steep. You're right, with a little more I can definitely go for an MIJ copy instead. But the thing is, I'm pretty dead set on getting a Goldtop and I find it a bit difficult to seek for a Goldtop in MIJ brands such as Burny, Greco, Grassroots, National, Aria Pro, Edwards, etc. If I do spot a MIJ Tokai Goldtop, it's the one with P90s.

For now looks like I'll pass on this Korean goldtop. At the end of the day, I can't trust all of the imports coming from China and Korea since there is too many forgeries, and some of them are pretty **** good knock offs. You probably were lucky to have a good Korean Tokai.

Btw did your Korean LP come with a serial number with markings behind the headstock and in the pups?

Rob

LS75/85 Gold Top, last guitar you'll ever need.

LoveRock1.jpg

LoveRock2.jpg

LoveRock3.jpg

Seconded. :D

Rob, save your money mate. Scrape together a bit more dosh and buy a Made In Japan. You won't regret it I swear.

I bought my 2004 LS75F (Now an LS90F I think?) for ?330 including case, and it's mint. It's a wonderful guitar to play and I never get tired of picking it up. I'd never sell it.

There are bargains to be had, if you're patient, careful, and you ask questions before bidding.

Good Luck!

Graham.

OuttaspaceMan said:

Rob

No serial number, which I believe was quite common.

119_1959.jpg

And the money from that went towards the LS70 GT that showed up on eBay earlier this year. They do show up if you're patient. And it's a great Les Paul, simple as that.

Hi Mike, in the earlier catalogues i have all the Korean models {LP} were either plywood or Alder, the Korean SG's were Nato, no mention of Agathis at all...

Mick

Goestoeleven said:
Seconded. :D

Rob, save your money mate. Scrape together a bit more dosh and buy a Made In Japan. You won't regret it I swear.

I bought my 2004 LS75F (Now an LS90F I think?) for ?330 including case, and it's mint. It's a wonderful guitar to play and I never get tired of picking it up. I'd never sell it.

There are bargains to be had, if you're patient, careful, and you ask questions before bidding.

Good Luck!

Graham.

Just got back in from a business trip, sorry for the late reply guys! Many thanks for everyone's inputs. Looks like I'll be on the look out on ebay for a better deal. As everyone has said, you guys are right it will be much more worth it. I'm really glad getting some advice from this forum. For now, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully when I find the "right" goldtop, I will definitely update you guys on it.

Many thanks again and best regards to all =)

Rob

Hey Rob, you may want to check out guitar forums too along with eBay. Lots of guitars for sale cuz posting is free. I found a really nice OBG Goldtop at The Gear Page through referral from a poster here. Be careful though and get references, and pay by credit card so you can do a chargeback if the guitar doesn't arrive. Fortunately, most folks I've dealt with have been very good people.

Axchisler said:
Hey Rob, you may want to check out guitar forums too along with eBay. Lots of guitars for sale cuz posting is free. I found a really nice OBG Goldtop at The Gear Page through referral from a poster here. Be careful though and get references, and pay by credit card so you can do a chargeback if the guitar doesn't arrive. Fortunately, most folks I've dealt with have been very good people.

Did you buy the OBG? very nice guitar at a good price.... :wink:

Mick

Axchisler said:
Hey Rob, you may want to check out guitar forums too along with eBay. Lots of guitars for sale cuz posting is free. I found a really nice OBG Goldtop at The Gear Page through referral from a poster here. Be careful though and get references, and pay by credit card so you can do a chargeback if the guitar doesn't arrive.

How many private individuals selling guitars on here have the facility to accept credit card payments? I don't.

Meh I knew we should'nt have used the same advertising company..!!! :eek:

leadguitar_323 said:
Did you buy the OBG? very nice guitar at a good price.... :wink:

Mick

Yes I did, the frets are a little worn (dimples) on the B and G from 1st to 7th fret, but it plays beautifully. Took some getting used to the tone though. I love the sound of my LS100, and used to wish every guitar sounded like it, but that would be boring. Tweaked some knobs and found some great tones with it. The back of the neck is silky smooth, overall; very impressed with OBG. :D

Latest posts

Back