What's Gibson doing?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
:eek: I was in a Mom and Pop store yesterday looking for Tokais and the like and came across a new 1960 Classic, I have one from the first year {a 92'} but this thing was nothing like the quality of mine! The binding was thick like 70's LPand the overall feel not was what I have become acustomed to with the LP's and LR's! When that model came out inthe 90's it was like a rebirth of the great guitars of the past...what happened? The Classic in the begining had a much better fit and finish than the Standard of that time! When did they switch? Someone here spoke of the Classic and the Studio as being in the same league and I though they were nuts! But something happened at Gibson that ruined the Classic. Try an early model the one's that say "Les Paul Model "on the silk screen and you will see what I mean! What a disapointment , that was a great guitar...Glad I have what I have! TG :D

Since the LP standard changed and are now offered with a choice of 50's fat or 60's slim neck, the Classic has been moved downwards in the ladder. The studios and classics both come with multipiece mahogany backs now and are probably still getting more cost cutting build changes done to them. And eww, don't forget the algae green inlays. IMHO they should have changed the Classic in the ways that they modified the Standard. It is 'classic' afterall and deserves those vintage style tuners, and vintage style burstbuckers. They should have made the standard come with coil tap and stuff.

Latest posts

Back