the "new" Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
Hey Ned , thank you for the NAMM coverage, but in MHO the Love Rock is dead...the new version is as dorky looking as a Guild "Nightbird" of a few years ago, a Kendrick "Townhouse" of today and any number of LP "inspired" guitars from Korea. But Have you guys seen the new Fernandes "Ravelle" Gold Top? Dave Navarro plays one in his new video...That is where the Love Rock should go , a cross between the LR and a Talbo!! Later

Would probably have to agree with you there Tokaiguy. Tokai made their reputation in the 1980s because they were a favourable alternative to G & F guitars based upon performance, construction, value for money, their marketing was spot-on and, in Europe, Australia and Canada at least - the specs and headstock shapes were accurate. They seem to have gone down the road that Squier did - building different quality instruments under the same brand and confusing consumers in the process. This did no favours for Squier and I don't think it will do Tokai much good either. A lot of the posts to this site are now concerned with whether such and such a guitar is Korean or Japanese, how do they compare etc..etc.. When you get to that stage, it would seem that there is a problem for the company in asserting an image for its instruments. To this extent, people looking for a Fender style instrument can find a Mexican for a similar price to the Tokais and if you're after a Gibson LP I don't think many are going to go for the new style Love Rocks despite the quality of the instrument. I think it's the used Tokai market (ie for 70s and 80s replicas) that's of real interest for G&F style guitars and where I get the most out of this site. Thanks for listening! Don't mean to be too polemical but if it's worth arguing about, this is the place to bring it up. Tommy R.

Latest posts

Back