Tokai Guitar - Serial no. 0402373

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmarchetti81

Reaction score
Tokai guitar

Please can you provide specifications for below,

Updated picture: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/rmarchetti1/GuitarTokai?feat=directlink

Sorry mate but that is one of the Canadian fake Tokai's that are talked about here quite often lately, it is basically a Dillion guitar and shares the inlays, headstock shape and just about everything else the Dillion model displays. Tokai NEVER made a guitar with these features. It will have a "Make under license" decal on the back of the headstock, NO Tokai's had that decal at all.

This link is a real one.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=109389#109389

Mick

rmarchetti81 said:
Also reading about the dillion they sound like quite respected guitars, is this the case?

They aren't bad. The fakes are actually known for being pretty decent quality, certainly on par with similar MIK guitars from everything I've heard on here. Some even claim that they are built higher spec than similar priced Tokais, but this is hard to verify because there's no real infomation on them out there - after all, they are illegal fakes.

How much did you pay for it? Sadly the resale value on these things is down the toilet and if you eventually tried to sell it on as a genuine Tokai then you would be committing fraud and can be prosecuted (which has happened before with fake Gibsons, and this forum/community keeps close eye on ebay and the like).

Hi mate, the Fakai's as they are called around here are actually quite good guitars and timber wise are probably a little better than the equivalent Tokai. The Korean Tokai at the time were Alder bodied where as the Fakai's were generally mahogany bodied, as far as LP's go i would take mahogany over alder any day....Beware that there are still shops in Canada stocking these things and deceiving the unsuspecting buyer...

Mick

Thanks for help. I found the reply regarding fraud a little threatening considering I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated

rmarchetti81 said:
Thanks for help. I found the reply regarding fraud a little threatening considering I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated

It might be that the seller didn't know either

rmarchetti81 said:
I found the reply regarding fraud a little threatening considering I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic.

Sorry, that's my fault and it wasn't intended - but in my defence, people have in the past tried to cut their losses and sell fakes as genuine even after they'd found out otherwise.

If you've only just bought it you should contact the ebay seller, you have excellent grounds for a full refund. If they won't give you one then threaten them with a fraud prosecution :wink:

(edit: although they may, like you, have been genuinely unaware so bear that in mind)

I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated
You came to us for information..WE never came to YOU.
You say that you don't know how it's fake from one pic...well WE see these things ALL DAY EVERY DAY...we also see legitimate Tokai so perhaps WE might know the difference.
You say "you'll get it checked out".....who's going to check it out?
We've "checked it out" and given you information....the KEY information that you've been given is that it's NOT a Tokai.
Now..if you had your heart set on buying a real Tokai then by all means quote the Tokai Registry(as MANY sellers seem to do) as stating that it's a fake item and get your money back from the seller.
A better way to have worded your post may have been can you tell me the difference that lead you to the Fakai conclusion...at which point we would have been more than happy to point the differences out to you....civility is a two way street.

Hi rmarchetti81.

leadguitar_323 provides the explanation as to why it can be identified as one of the Canadian fake Tokai?s. The giveaway is the headstock shape and inlays, which aren?t a feature of the Tokai PRS copies, but is of the Dillion equivalent. I think you?ve probably worked this out by now though.

If you look at the link in the post it should provide you with a bit more explanation as the same question came up the other week.

Is almosttokai.com up and running yet? I can?t seem to find any information on it, or am I being blind?

Ozeshin said:
I bought it on ebay and also don't know how it is a fake from one pic. I will get it checked out, thanks though as help appreciated

You came to us for information............rant rant rant .........

I think the phrase "thanks though as help appreciated" says it all, ease off Oz, as far as I can see he's being very appreciative of our efforts

Is almosttokai.com up and running yet? I can?t seem to find any information on it, or am I being blind?

Almost there mate, its bigger than we thought basically but will be up and running soon. Oi Oze, edit your post you grumpy old bugger..... :p See what happens when you wear tights for 10 years.... :lol:

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Oi Oze, edit your post you grumpy old bugger..... :p See what happens when you wear tights for 10 years.... :lol:

Nah, it's not the tights (he still wears them doesn't he? :eek: ). It's all that listening to Gary Moore that does it - all that needless aggression in Mooron's playing adversely affects people after a while. :wink:

leadguitar_323 said:

Almost there mate, its bigger than we thought basically but will be up and running soon.

Mick

Nice one! I just wondered if I'd missed anything. It will be really useful for others to refer to.

Ugh..yeah...Northern Hemisphere people should be aware that Mick and I tend to post at the end of a long workday.
I had a particularly tiring day yesterday......and had a ladder in my tights :eek:

as an aside prompted by the Gary Mooron ref. I recall Ozzy considering having Gary join his band but thought better of it as he had 'a face like a welders bench'.

In a more candid comment to myself outside Radio Clyde Ozzy also explained why he didn't want Michael Schenker to join his band - 'Schenker was a w**ker, he wanted too much money'

Brum humour for ya

Back