New (to me) Seymour Duncan DS-100

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics! That is really nice.
From my point of view the frets look a bit small and vintagey for my liking, and it looks like a classic Fender neck radius?

The burnt one I'm looking at is a bit flatter radius with larger frets and no nibs at the ends of the frets. The fret work is very similar to the top class fret work that I see on my Bacchus Duke - frets go right to the edge with a rounded end. I would guess that the spec evolved over the years and that this burnt one is more recent. 1992 is not that far from when these models started, right? I've got some idea that they kicked off in the late 80's.

main difference is the pickups and neck shape the ST-80 is a more pronounced V, than the SD and the E seem more vintage than the SD PU, but pretty similar really, both top notch strat models, I love the little detail of the maple caps on the fretwire holes..lovely..

Cool, thanks. Looks like a nice bit of lumber, as a certain US member would say. Personally I would prefer the SD pickups to Es.

Fret edge binding on a Strat? :eek: If you hear a rumbling noise from the direction of California, it's Leo rolling over......

:roll:

villager said:
its not fret edge binding, theres tiny maple caps over the underneath edge of the fretwire, so the actual fretwire iiside the neck cannot be seen on the edge...amazing

Sounds very posh, any chance of some close-up pics?

That's a Pro you've got there Villager, ie DS-250. My 185 doesn't have the fret binding like you describe. Good score! Great photos too, thanks.

One thing unusual about your guitar is that it's an ash body, but with a "wing" type string retainer, usually a round retainer. Oh well, they were obviously making it up as they went along with these ones. Awesome strat.

The pickups listed in the catalog for the DS-250 are "Beefed Up" Antiquities, but that was in the early Noughties. I don't know that Seymour Duncan were making Antiquities in 92 when your guitar was made, so the pickups may be Alnico II Pros.

By the way MIJ, you should definitely get that gold DS-200... it would be great to see it go to someone on the forum... someone that I can buy it off later when I win lotto :D

I thought it may be, but wanted some confirmation.... it was the PRO written in the cavity that made me think...heh

the middle PU has a stamp in the plastic of SD 291 if that sheds any light on the matter of the PU's...

Yeah, that PRO marking is a big hint eh? The fret binding seals the deal though, maybe. This DS-200 apparently has the same kind of binding:

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/2003_ESP_Seymour_Duncan_DS-200R_1962_Stratocaster_Replica.html

Oh well, whatever model it is that you've got, it looks kick ***.

Just a guess, but I think the 2 91 marking on the pickups is the month and year of manufacture, ties in somewhat with the date of the neck.

LOL...I was just going to say you got a PRO model. Nice. Same guitar as mine. That is awesome.

It's made in 92 (same as mine) by the neck stamp date. And it will have Alinco II beefed up pickups. You're a lucky guy! What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

I'm still sticking with the burnt one being a pro too. Gut feeling.

My SD tele has the little fret binding (for lack of a better word) as well. And it's the mid range model. I had some pictures of the insides of both but I can't seem to find them. I'll try to get some more up here at some point.

I can't remember exactly what the price was, i bought about 10 guitars this month and it was just one that caught my eye..I usually go for the exceptionally grained bodies on strats as an indication of high quality...and I wanted to try one of these for a while now...

I will buy more when i see them...very nice guitars..

different to the JV fenders, and the higher tokais, but on a par..

Just noticed that there is some pencil under the "PRO". My DS-185 has the model written in pencil under the lacquer in the middle pickup route(very faintly too). May be worth a closer look if you ever pop it open again. Then again, "PRO" means pro in my books.

Here's how the fret "binding" thing looks on my tele....strat is exactly the same...

DSC05570.jpg

I love these SD's. There is just something special about them. ESP really put it all into them and carefully. And it looks like they are coming out with new models soon. But with modified head stocks. Maybe they are going to try to tap the US market. Which will mean our old ones could really become sought after... :)

Honestly though I don't see my self ever selling mine. Especially the strat. To me its one of those life time keepers just because of the smile of amazement it puts on my face every time I play it.

soundcreation said:
Here's how the fret "binding" thing looks on my tele....strat is exactly the same...

Oh right, I get what you guys and Andrew (guitarsjapan) are talking about! My DS-185 and DS-100 both have those fret-edge bindings/caps. Is that not normal then? I can't remember if my previous maple neck strats had that or not (all recent Fender Japan models and one Fernandes).

DS-280 Pro? Though I thought they were called DS-250 Pro back then...weird.

Definitely a Pro. Basically, as highly specced a vintage-style strat as you can get. Is it a 1 or 2 piece body?

Back