Fakai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknBlues

Reaction score
found this wile looking at the goldtop someone here won
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190306713714&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=330328541226&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%252BP%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DFICS%252BUFI%252BUA%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D10

Uhmm, Hi. I was the guy who won this on the Bay. I just found this site today as I was looking for info on adjusting the truss rod on this thing.
Im a Gibson guy, and bought this for modding. I had no idea there are
fake tokais too. I can usually spot a chinese fake LP.
I have opened a dispute with paypal regarding this transaction .
It cost me 450 shipped, which i thought was OK for this ( what I thought was korean made) tokai.
Wish I had found this site 10 days earlier.
Oh, and the guitar plays ******. The nut slot on the low E seems to be too low
Thank you belatedly for this forum and thread. Kevin

Unfortunately Canada is full of these things because a Toaki distributor in Canada couldn't get the models he wanted from Tokai so he commissioned another Korean factory to make the guitars he wanted. Tokai dumped him soon after.

Mick

Well, it seems to be ending well. the seller is taking it back and paypal is covering my shipping costs. So my quest for a real tokai continues.

I have just found out that I bought a Canadian Fakai Love Rock. Really good player. Previous owner added Grovers, bone nut, Rio Grandes, 50s wiring. Only thing I need to confirm is the pups. Wiring looks 50s, CTS tone pots, and caps that look like silver beer barrels.

I'd really like to find out more about these. I'd never heard of Fakais before yesterday. I would never have thought about it. Who would want to make a copy of MIK Tokai anyway. Who the dealer was and were these made by the same manufacturer than makes Dillion Canada guitars.

There are numerous threads about this exact topic, try a search and have a look in the Tokai guitars section at the moment there are a couple of current discussions. The reason these were made is because Tokai did not have the guitars that the Canadian distributor wanted so he went and sanctioned his own. I won't go on in this thread as i have just written a pile of stuff in another thread in the Tokai guitars section. Have a read and then ask away.... :wink:

Mick

Surely the headstock is the biggest giveaway on these guitars.

Surely the headstock is the biggest giveaway on these guitars.

Yep, only fakes had that logo, even so, when you tell someone that these are fakes it can be a real struggle to convince the lesser informed.
Do a search, there is some interesting reading.

Mick

CliffsComicWorld said:
I wonder what Tokai feels about these guitars... as... it will diminsh their reputation.
Actually, interestingly, I kind of think that this fiasco *increases* the value of genuine Tokai. 2003-2005 MIK Tokai are so rarely genuine, it seems, that a real one of those would very much be a rare collectors item. Of course it does increase confusion in the market ...

From what i have found out, when Mr Adachi {Tokai president} found out what the Canadian distributor was doing he spoke directly to the head of the Korean factory producing them, at a trade show, and told him to stop, which he did but because of differences in the Fakes i have seen i think another factory was involved as well.

Mick

Latest posts

Back