1984 Tokai Les Paul Custom value?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi. I'm thinking of buying a used 1984 Tokai Les Paul Custom. I don't know that much about Tokai guitars. Am I correct in assuming that this bassicaly is the same instrument as a Gibson? How is it quality-wise?

The seller told me that their are 5 small screw-holes in the top because a bigsby was once installed on it. A lot of belt marks on the back. NO cracks in the wood or anywhere. The tuning keys were changed as was teh tailpiece.

Does anyone know any details about this guitar: mahogany or maple top? rosewood or ebony fretboard? (I don't know much about LPs). Please tell me everything you know about this guitar, anything you think I should know about it and more importantly how much you think it is worth.

Here are a few pictures the seller sent me.

tokai1.jpg

tokai2.jpg

tokai3.jpg

tokai4.jpg

tokai5.jpg

tokai6.jpg

Thank you!
Joey

I forgot to mention that it comes with the case pictured. I don't know if its the original case or not, and if the graphics on it were added or are original.

Another thing I forgot to ask:

Is their anything that I should ask the seller?

I would love to go and try it but its a long drive so I don't know if I will go pick it up or get it shipped if I do buy it.

How much is a fair price?

I'll tell how much I can get it for after seeing a few replies.

Thanks,
Joey

After a bit of research, I'm almost sure this is a TLC 100, am I correct?

Whats the difference between a TLC and a TLC 60?

Not that I'm an expert, but I'll take a stab at it.
The TLC60 has a rosewood fingerboard, where the TLC100 has ebony. The 60 is listed as having a "mahogany neck", but the 100 says "one-piece mahogany neck" - don't know if this means that the 60's neck is scarf-jointed? That seems unlikely in a quality MIJ guitar, but possible.

I can't tell from the pictures if yours is a 60 or 100 model. Personally, I don't mind a little wear on a guitar, but those filled holes.... :-? Not sure of the value, but I don't think I'd go over $500. The case is an original Tokai Gakki case - the paintings, however, are not.

I'll bet like most early Tokais, it plays and sounds great. It seems to have served its former owner well. Hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in.

Hi Kickz28,

Well I?m certainly NOT more knowledgeable than Novosel; but my 2 cents ? I?d steer well clear. Too many issues - screw holes, swapped parts, scuffs & scrape?s (eg headstock), solid colour may hide flaws in grain & construction (one reason many buyers prefer sunburst), Tokais strange copy of the diamond inlay also detracts :( . Why not watch eBay for a nice 1980?s Love Rock? ?Mijsixstringkatana? just sold a 1980 LS50 Reborn Old on eBay at $480, that seemed an exceptional bargain :eek: , but other good deals are easy to find. Always confirm that frets & fretboard are OK without excessive wear, check the neck is straight with decent buzz free action, be sure tuners, pups & controls are all working OK, confirm any non-minor damage, confirm any non-original parts & any extra routes/holes etc :-? .

Ian.

Back