True Bypass Wah

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanneste

Reaction score
I've spent ages lately choosing a wah and have finally bought the Budda. Obviously there's a few to look at but if it's a toss up soundwise then the Budda has one thing in it's favour - true bypass as standard.

On my travels to find a modded TS-9 I stumbled into www.legendarytones.com who sell a 'true bypass' mod for Vox wah's. It seems the standard reissue Vox causes significant volume drop and a certain amount of tone colouration when not in use.

Legendarytones link to an FX tech in the states called Robert Keeley at www.RobertKeeley.com

Budda claim their wah is built to overcome this problem and Robert kindly confirmed that the Budda Wah is every bit as good as a Vox Wah with the mod fitted. He rates the Budda as a great wah.

That tiped the balance and I bought an as new Budda on Loot.com for under ?100.00. Seems like a reasonable deal for a well sorted pedal.

The Budda Wah is definitely worth a look.

If you want the ultimate wah.I highly recomend the Teese RMC 3.Fully programmable volume sweep and sweet spot,It's 10 wahs in one and is true bypass as well.
www.realmccoycustom.com

Watto

Paladin2019 said:
A cheaper option, the crybaby 535q is TB as well. With a wah range selector, q dial and volume boost too.

:D

Hi!
I think 535q isn't really True-by-pass pedal. I've noticed it doesn't work in front of Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz and the reason for this might be buffered low impendance output signal. RM Classic fuzz must be placed first in chain(if using non tbp pedals) or else the sound is very harsh. Axis fuzz is different, funny. And without pattery (or dc-input) it won't let signal trough. Not a big deal 'cause the buffer circuit is better than for ex. gcb-95 (tonesucker).

Anyone else has opinion on this?

Budda wah is a very good wah far better than a Crybaby in my opinion.It's a little expensive but worth.Excellent wah sound.
Anyone tried it against a Fulltone Clyde?

oldflame said:
Isn't the Fulltone Clyde a true bypass?
Yes. RMC Wahs are also TB. It's been years since I tried a Budda, but did ab it against a Clyde. The Clyde has a wider sweep, physically and tonally. Smoother tone, and more transparent.

I've never played a Budda, but I do have a Fulltone. I love it. Very "musical". It doesn't slice your head off with high end like my Cry Baby.

My God it has to be the Fulltone ClydeMcoy Wah for sure!:)

That thing is beautifull:)

Get me one of those a Ladipo Pride & Joy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRIDE-AND-JOY-For-Fender-ts808-Tokai-Tube-Screamer_W0QQitemZ7423466979QQcategoryZ22669QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

& a Analogue Man RossClone and thats all you need.

Over the weekend, I did the "True Bypass" modification to my old Cry Baby wah wah pedal (it's a "Thomas Organ" version from the early 70's).

It just cost $10 for the DPDT footswitch and involved some simple soldering of wires (no electrical components involved). A friend of mine found the schematic on the web (pdf file) and emailed it to me.

It works great.

Its got to be the FullTone!:) Its True ByPass and you get that Full Turn Potentiometer so the wah sweeps for longer.

GuitarGeorge69

The Fulltone has the outboard section to boost the signal so you dont get the loss in volume. My FullTone sounds as good as Jimi's wah sound:) It almost has a uni-vibe sound to the phase shifting:)

For the TS pedal mods e.t.c I got a 10/10 clone on ebay called the ladipo Pride & Joy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110095867213

www.deltajetblues.com

Its a 10/10 keeper and the tone is better than the original legendary ts808, & even better than the tone Stevie Ray Vaughan was getting at his best.

I sold 10 of my worst pedals to buy the Pride & Joy!:)

I also just ordered 3 clones of the Tokai grey backs VII strat pickups.
to replce the ceramic bar magnet pups in my st-40 Goldstar sound strat.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/www-DeltaJetBlues-com-Mal-Hombre-Stratocaster-Pickups_W0QQitemZ110105194307QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GuitarGeorge69 :roll:

Watto said:
If you want the ultimate wah.I highly recomend the Teese RMC 3.Fully programmable volume sweep and sweet spot,It's 10 wahs in one and is true bypass as well.
www.realmccoycustom.com

Watto

+1

orvilleowner said:
Over the weekend, I did the "True Bypass" modification to my old Cry Baby wah wah pedal (it's a "Thomas Organ" version from the early 70's).

It just cost $10 for the DPDT footswitch and involved some simple soldering of wires (no electrical components involved). A friend of mine found the schematic on the web (pdf file) and emailed it to me.

It works great.
The better way to do it! By a Vox or a Crybaby out of ebay ( you can got them for really cheap) and mod it! Or found some one to mod them, it's really simple and a lot cheaper!

villager said:
teese RMC, modded by wah wah man in the uk ..

unbelievable range and tone...

Seconded! Had my 535Q modded by him because I felt it was harsh. It came back with much more useable tones, much smoother, and even more adjustable than before!

In reference to Visa's post, I know it's a four year old topic but the 535Q is true bypass as standard. Fuzz pedals just don't like wahs!

Latest posts

Back