Singing and Playing

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sscanlan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on singing and playing at the same time? I can do a basic strumming pattern and sing at the same time but as soon as the pattern gets complicated or its a riff rather than a chord progression it all goes wrong. Kinda like I can only sing if the vocal pattern fits in with the guitar pattern.

Is it a case of simply playing the songs so much that the guitar side of things becomes something you don't have to to think about it? Are there any techniques that can be learnt?

Ta
Spence

practice, practice, practice.

You have to get it so you can do them both without thinking about it. As in, not wondering what comes next in the verse or when the lead is, and instead doing it all by instinct. Also, once you get used to doing both, it comes much easier even when doing new songs.

Dustin

sscanlan said:
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on singing and playing at the same time? I can do a basic strumming pattern and sing at the same time but as soon as the pattern gets complicated or its a riff rather than a chord progression it all goes wrong. Kinda like I can only sing if the vocal pattern fits in with the guitar pattern.

Is it a case of simply playing the songs so much that the guitar side of things becomes something you don't have to to think about it? Are there any techniques that can be learnt?

Ta
Spence
This is a common problem even among some of the most advanced players. I was able to overcome this myself by practicing the vocal part over and over and over and over and over until it took almost zero concentration to sing it........ Then I would pick up my guitar and things would fall into place much easier.

Songs that I know pretty well I can do this with, it pretty much just takes being familiar with the songs and the lyrics. Like it's already been said it takes time to get used to it.

I know some people who sing lead and play guitar, would actually like to find someone to sing so they can concentrate on their guitar playing; but equally I know some people who'd like to get someone to play for them to concentrate on their singing.

So it's funny there are people like you and me who'd like to be able to do both, and people trying to get away from it to concentrate on one or the other. Out of interest, would you want to be able to sing lead or solo? Or are you more interested in doing some backup work?

Personally, I prefer not to sing when I'm playing guitar because then I become a singer - regardless of what else I do on stage.

I can sing....I can play guitar.....but I won't do both at the same time. If it were my choice, I'd play guitar and maybe do some backup vocals.

As someone said in a previous post, "Vocals are just time spent between guitar solos".

Actually, I prefer to lay down solid rythym behind whatever else is going on. Steve Cropper, Malcom Young and Jimmie Vaughan are my heroes...

Marcus,

sounds like a right-minded attitude ... :wink:

Similar to mine !!

Focus on what you're able to do ! But it won't work without practice though.

Roger

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm kinda getting the hang of it a little. I've listed a few songs that I'd like to sing and play but are not too complicated and and steadily getting there. Then I plan on moving to more complicated stuff. Its definetly down to practice.

Oh, by the way, I'm very much a bedroom player, just thought it would be nice to sing along with some of the tracks myself rather than just playing along with the cd player.

Spence

Atta boy Scanlan....

Remember that we are our own toughest critics :wink:

Whenever I sing along with what I'm playing, I can't help but think that I suck as a singer AND a guitar player.....LOL!!

I'm the lead guitarist in the band I'm in right now.
There are a few songs that I sing and play in...(Rocky mountain Way...Keep your Hands to yourself(georgia Satelites)etc etc)
In my case we have a vocalist so it's a case of me choosing the songs that I find easiest to play and sing.
Also...I find that changing the arangement slightly helps.
Nobody says you HAVE to do a cover exactly the same as the original artist.

Im having the very same problem ive been playing 3 years and as soon as the rhythm gets tricky i just freeze and both the vocals and guitar playing go to crap! :lol:

Im practicing metallicas whiskey in the jar im getting there but i think it will be a while before i can ace it. :(

if you have a recording of the song, play along with it over and over. when you have the guitar part down, start to sing along with it. if you play and sing to the recording it may help you get the timing of both better. it is just practise and more practise. sometimes a word will fall right on the beat ,or the strum of a chord, kind of keeping the timing of both parts together.

Latest posts

Back