What's your 'string of choice'?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadman

Reaction score
I've always used Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (9-42) on every electric I've ever owned but fancy a change.
I considered D'addario XLs, GHS Boomers and various others but just settled on trying out some Electro Harmonix as they get good reviews. God knows what they'll sound like! :D

Acoustically I prefer Ernie Ball Earthwood lights (11-52) as I find they seem to get better as they get older for some strange reason. I guess it's because I don't like a guitar to sound too bright.

What do you guys use?

on my most used guitar, usually i get my strings made locally but i also use ernie ball's, picking out the gauges!

11-15-18-28-42

i use super slinky gauges (bar lowest string) on my other guitars, a strat and a LP jnr (on sale now by the way, see classifields)!

what music do u play deadman???

Hi,

I use D'Addario XL 9 - 42 on my Strat and
Gibson Bright Wires 8) 10 - 46 on my Les Pauls.
(All Les Pauls are tuned to Eb)

Andi

D'Addario EXL125 on my Strat - 9,11,16,26,36,46
Sometimes Hybrid Slinkys

D'Addario EXL110 on my Tokai LPs - 10,13,17,26,36,46

OrvilleBoy said:
what music do u play deadman???

Rock or punk mainly, but I love funk.

I play lots of RHCP and Pearl Jam as well as anything by The Jam, Foo Fighters, british bands like The Libertines and Kaiser Chiefs.

Rock or punk mainly, but I love funk.

Hey Deadman,

If you dig funk, check out The Meters (New Orleans Band from the late 60's and 70's)

They did Cissy Strut, Hey Pocky Way, .........

Great stuff!

Marcus

If you are in Austin on a Tuesday night go to Thredgills a lot of the musicians from New Orleans who moved there after Katrina have a Jam . Great Great Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I use Ernie Ball Hybrid slinkys. The best of both worlds so to speak. You get the smaller gauge for the higher strings, and bigger gauge for the lower.

Oh, and I hate elixirs. My fingers always slide off the strings during bends when I'm sweating. Annoying!

Dustin

FWIW I've been using D'Addario XL 009.5-.044 for Silver Stars and Love Rocks. Had been using 9s for Strats and 10s for Les Pauls, but I've found that the 9.5s sound perfect for Strats, and very good with great bending ability for LPs. Plus if I ever get Alzheimers I can probably remember one string size. :wink:

Earnie Ball Super Slinkies on my Preditor, 11-46 and come to think of it, Im not sure what I have on my Tele.. OOP's 8)

Used to use Ernie Balls since trting Elixirs on my acoustics I now use Elixir Light .010 - .046.
These are very very long lasting coated strings, and more important sound great for a long long time.
For the guy who says he uses the cheapest strings I suggest checking these out as you might find yourself using these for three to five times longer than your El Cheapos and having people ask you after three months wow are those new strings?

Check them out
Stringkiller
www.drpickup.com

Elixir Light .010 - .046. They last a long time, sound great, and are not as stiff as the D'Addario's I used to use. If you play a set of Elixir's for a while, and then switch to D'Addario's, you'll be surprised at how stiff the D'Addario's feel. Obviously you can get used to either one, but for an old fart like me, enjoying the onset of arthritis, my hands need all the help they can get.

Bill

Elixir .10 - .46. Love the feel of these strings.

Try them Deadman. You mentioned you like Funk. These strings allow you to slide gracefully all over the neck and should work for funk!

They do cost a bit more than your avarage strings but do last a lot longer.

Gibson Brite Wires .10 - .46 ... until now ...

... but - you guys aroused my curiosity to the Elixirs! :eek:

Will give them a try!! :wink:

Roger

Latest posts

Back