Make you own guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceboomstick

Reaction score
I have a friend who has just started playing guitar. He bought a "super electricity guitar" on ebay for about ?50 and decided that it was so bad he could probably do better. So armed with a tape measure and pencil he made these up in the factory he works in. They're currently only prototypes and represent a first attempt next step is to start loading up start loading up up p/pups, electrics and necks !!!

bod.jpg

(Ignore the neck, that came from a fellow in china - who make many guitar of utmost respect and quality for new friends in the world)

Hi Bruce- i guess that's a gentle dig at me :D

You're very right. People who buy fake electricity guitars should buy them because they're fakes (fakes are fun), not because they need a good, cheap guitar.

I hope your friend has better luck with his new project. And I hope he's got something to play while he makes his first guitar. :wink:

bruceboomstick said:
He bought a "super electricity guitar" on ebay for about ?50 and decided that it was so bad he could probably do better. So armed with a tape measure and pencil he made these up in the factory he works in. They're currently only prototypes and represent a first attempt next step is to start loading up start loading up up p/pups, electrics and necks !!!
Great, he obviously has access to a CNC machine there! 8)

(Ignore the neck, that came from a fellow in china - who make many guitar of utmost respect and quality for new friends in the world)
:lol: But I support the idea of building your own guitar, too, because it's just something different, and you can always start the easy way and build a Part-o-caster first. I made this Schecter wannabe in the early '80s:

strat.jpg

That's one cool guitar Hans The gold bits look great against that wood.

The other good thing about it is you can learn alot about guitar set up - seeing as you have to start completely from scratch.

Hi Bruce- i guess that's a gentle dig at me

Not in the slightest - I've been watching the thread on fakes and it's interesting - The sheer brazen way the chinese guys go about it has to be appluaded !!!!

I just love the way the chinese describe their products - in fact I'm starting to use the term "super electricity guitar of highest respect" as a standard term to describe a chinese copy.

In fact I'm just considering how much fun could be had with "guitar that is not Ibanez, just imitates Ibanez"

As for the guitar in question - it was ?50, unbranded and actually was a lot better for the money that it should have been. Although a bit on the light side it had a reasonable tone and a good action (actually as playable as some of the lower end epiphones !!). I think it's now been loaded with some mex fender pickups and sounds pretty reasonable . For a no risk, first guitar it would actually encourage you to play - unlike a lot of cheap guitars in the past.

bruceboomstick said:
That's one cool guitar Hans The gold bits look great against that wood.
Thanks, those are actually brass parts from Rockinger and a 1-piece quilted maple body from Mighty Mite, neck came from ESP, pickups are Seymour Duncans SSL-1. Now and then I'm thinking to give her a more "modern" look with another pickguard perhaps, but on the other hand it wouldn't be a Schecter wannabe anymore. :D

The other good thing about it is you can learn alot about guitar set up - seeing as you have to start completely from scratch.
Right, and you can experiment with a lot of unusual combinations and wirings, too. :wink:

Hey Bruce, and all other gitar enthsiasts...

I have to tell ya, I really like the job your friend did on those solid stock bodys. I've had a passion to do the same. Right now I'm in the process of refinishing the body of my Peavey Preditor. I found it to be quite the experiance, and the hardest thing of all was to decide what kind of finish to complete it with. I've searched several web sites dealing with restoration, parts and the like. But I really like the hard wood looks. I would like to post a few photo's of it when I'm done. So we'll see what happens. Rock on, one and all... 10th gear

[/i]

Hi Bruce,

This is post is way off the thread and the forum - but I'm very impressed with your friend. Been trying to think of something else he could make on a budget that's hopeless in Chinese, better than the original if MIJ, and so expensive that I'll never afford real thing.

Maybe you could show him a Vincent Black Shadow?

(from one biker to, I think, another)

(from one biker to, I think, another)

Yup - must confess to being a fan of Japan's other greatest export !!! (when the wettest drought in english history let's me get out there).

Maybe you could show him a Vincent Black Shadow
Knowing his taste in Japanese monster rockets his version would be 1000cc, with lots of plastic and the letters GSX and R written on it !!! It would get the job done, but lack the vintage mojo.

tongue oil is great or gun stock oil it's a long process but worth the wait,
very person to wood bonding .
clean all finish and sealer sand to no finer than 220 remove as many scratches by sanding with the grain as you can , infact try to do the sanding as you were spray painting long straight lines.
inspect any dints scratches whatevers are waiting to jump out latter so have a good look now. the little blighter damm those blighters

you can try colouring the oil or staining the wood itself. read the instrution on the product you use.

after a few coats sand and do again and again and again allways looking for blighters .
when your finished or just plain sick of doing it ( some coats will take 24-36 hrs to dry) or the blighters want to take you to the pub.
apply bee's wax wait till it dries ( or goes misty) rub with steel wool then polish with lent free clothe then stand back and say " wow I is good"

I recently saw a strat on ebay that was finsihed in gun stock oil - it had a really distinctive look - kind of looked old but well cared for

Hi Hans, That's a great finish on your strat. Can I ask how you did it? And will you tell me step by step. You should be able to email me if you don't want to go through the forum. it doesn't matter.. Thanks Man.

Rock On
10thGear

10th gear said:
Hi Hans, That's a great finish on your strat. Can I ask how you did it? And will you tell me step by step.
Actually that was the easiest part, because the 1-piece quilted maple body already looked great without any finish, so I simply took the same finish ("mahogany red") that I used on my self-built PA speakers in the background. I have to look up the correct English term for it, but it was a combined coloring and protection compound with some sort of wax in it, so it had to be rubbed into the wood to give a silky appearance. The neck is only and completely waxed, so no lacquer either.

Here's an older picture when the guitar was new, done with a flash:

musician+strat+335_small.jpg

10th gear said:
Hey Bruce, and all other gitar enthsiasts...

Right now I'm in the process of refinishing the body of my Peavey Preditor. [/i]
Good to see another Predator owner....the only sucky thing is the Floyd :/

I just got a cool book from amazon - how to build your own guitar By a guy called Melvyn Hiscock - it cover everything you need in enough detail to actually do it !!

I found it useful for my Squier job - it's got some great fault finding ideas too

Been trying to think of something else he could make on a budget that's hopeless in Chinese, better than the original if MIJ, and so expensive that I'll never afford real thing.

My brother just bough a chinese bike !!! I think it's one of those Honda CG copies - I reckon it's a "Super Two Stroking Powerful and Harmonious" motorcycle

(sorry about the off threadedness, but it's sunday afternoon and it made me smile!!!)

Hey Hey Hey!!!

no, I'm not Jimmy Walker..lol :lol: But you gotta love those Peavey Preditors, for the price they're a great guitar for the begginer, to well tuned garage band. I paid $40.00 for my mine in a pawn shop but it
did'nt work. So it took out the innerts and low, I found that the previous owner had it hot wired and 2 wires were disconnected. I resoldered them and it sounded great!!! Good action and new set of strings, and I was good to go..
And Honda's, I have one of the 70's, 50cc mini bike in the garage..
you just have to love them too...
HD's are the best, my honda was free 8)
Later All

P.S.

If you check out Paint Your Own Guitar.com, He has the kits and e books on making your own 5150, tigger, etc... Along with some " Copys " of the SG, which is affectionatley modled the SPG !!! :lol:

Back