RELICed StRaT FINISHED

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaicharlie

Reaction score
IM000513.jpg
IM000512.jpg
IM000514.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/nanookrubsit/IM000514.jpg
IM000514.jpg

better not post those at Harmony Central...they`ll eat you alive.
I`m not one of the relic haters...in fact, I`ve seen some nice ones, and own a couple of older guitars that have been naturally reliced. I like em, it`s just that theres more to it than sanding the finish off. The hardware needs the same treatment and no matter how hard I try to keep my guitars in great shape, they ALWAYS get dings... just part of playing guitars. So to me, the one pictured here doesn`t look finished...and anyways...how do we know when the process is " finished "? If you keep the guitar it will acquire more wear and battle scars so the relicing will continue. Still, I am not one to tell people what they should or shouldn`t do or buy. Folks play what they like and it`s no concern of mine.

YEA SURE I TOOK A SANDER TO THE NECK DA

Relax.....remember that any time you show off some of your work whether you are a painter, photographer, chef or guitar builder, you are open to the comments (good or bad) of the people you present it to.

If you're prepared for gushing accolades on your work, you should be prepared for the opposite or the indifferent. :wink:

If you like rellics that is fine but I am from the school of let time do things on there own I have never gotten into making a new guitar look old. But I know some people like that and I respect that . To me it is like buying a new bed room suit and the and it has been distressed. if I wanted antuque I would buy antuque. But in respect to you . You got that guitar looking old.

That reminds me ... I have a real "reliced" pickguard of mid-70s vintage ...

... at the end of March I bought a Highway 1 HSS stratocaster. It's got that big 70's headstock. I'm putting on "vintage" string guides (whenever they arrive). I could increase the vintage look by putting on my old 70's pickguard! :D Okay!

I think that relic Orvilleowner posted is a Rory Gallagher custom shop model. Kind of over the top in my opinion - relics look better with accurate wear patterns on the body and neck.

If you remove the finish where there is no contact point that would cause such wear, it looks less than authentic. Next time you play a strat, see where your picking arm rests on the body - you'll first develop rubs there and eventually, the finish will thin out there - eventually to bare wood - which can take years. But you still need the random dings, dents, scrapes and nicks from natural causes - you can't just rub the finish off and expect it to look accurate. The best relic is made the old fashioned way - play the crap out of the dang thing and let the bumps and bruises happen on their own.

It cracks me up that people will pay gobs of money for a beat up guitar but freak out when they put a nick in their $600 Tokai Springy :lol: .

Bedroom furnture! Iam glad I am not the only opinionated Texan reading this forum. Larry Morgan Music in Garland Tx has a Gallager Strat costing $$$$$$$$$$$.

ahhh....bedroom suite then? you know...I`d heard of a birthday suit but never a bedroom suit...same thing?

that Rory strat may look over the top but.....thats what his looked like.

marcusnieman said:
If you remove the finish where there is no contact point that would cause such wear, it looks less than authentic. ... It cracks me up that people will pay gobs of money for a beat up guitar but freak out when they put a nick in their $600 Tokai Springy :lol: .

That about sums up my position on Artificially Created Relics.

Yes, that is the Rory Gallagher model. I think it looks like a photo of what Rory's guitar currently looks like. Personally, I think they should have made the tribute model as that guitar appeared on the "Against the Grain" album cover. We don't remember Rory as he looked at the end of his life, we remember the vibrant exciting Rory of the early-to-mid-70's. So why shouldn't we remember his guitar as it was back then? Not this "dark" dead guitar.

orvilleowner said:
marcusnieman said:
If you remove the finish where there is no contact point that would cause such wear, it looks less than authentic. ... It cracks me up that people will pay gobs of money for a beat up guitar but freak out when they put a nick in their $600 Tokai Springy :lol: .

That about sums up my position on Artificially Created Relics.

I second that too

joukov said:
If you are going to do it, do it right! ; )
http://www.leviatech.fi/monsteramps/fi/vcg.html

Nice Finnish site!

Still, I'd rather see Rory's guitar as it looked on the "Live in Europe" album cover. There's a little bit more paint on it! :lol:

Back