Gibson fakes

Non-Tokai guitar discussion area.

Moderator: ned

Donkey Oaty
Guitar God

Post by Donkey Oaty » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:56 am

TSL wrote: I would never buy a guitar that has an issue like that in the photo. Never before seen that occur on ebay either.

Red flag!
Sure, the buyer aint done no favours by including a crap picture, but many times I have had to retake a picture because of distortion caused by the strings and frets.

Olympus claimed it was some kind of crosshatch effect.

Either way I take the pic at an angle now and never have had issues since. One of the pics I took made the frets all look like they were facing towards the middle of the neck. Once I resized it for ebay it all sorted it self out.

Copy the pic into Photoshop and zoom in on it, you can see the pixels ( or lack of them ) giving poor definition to the straight lines.

cmguitar
Guitar God

Post by cmguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:58 pm

This is for orvlleowner- Yes I have played a Fender Starcaster the 70s models - semi hollow body very 335ish/great guitar and never went over-Fender should have used another name for their entry level Costco guitars.
Fernandes Guitar Fan
Not enough hours in a day to play!

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:54 pm

Are those guitars (Costco Starcasters) playable? I travel often, as I work freelance, and bought a cheap "mini" guitar to take along, but it is unplayable.

Would like something I don't have to worry about being stolen, that I can enjoy by myself for an hour or so couple times a week.

cmguitar
Guitar God

Post by cmguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:40 pm

If you travel find a Cuaquita its got good action and it will fit in a suitcase .It also has a diMarzio pickup .- Cheap guitars that are better- First Line at wal-mart is built better and has better action.my nephew has one and it is good guitar for the money. The Starcaster is not made well.
Fernandes Guitar Fan

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:46 pm

Where can I find a Cuaquita?

Sorry, I can't go into a Walmart. Political. Sure you understand if not agree. Not trying to start anything, just can't go in there.

Ozeshin
Guitar God

Post by Ozeshin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:23 am

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Gibson-Les-Paul-Cust ... dZViewItem
And still it continues.. :o
I like the way this fake is refered to as an "import" rather than a piece of ^&*( scamming fake..!!!

cmguitar
Guitar God

Post by cmguitar » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Understand about wal-mart - try internet and I saw an ad in Vintage Guitar I think they sell Cuaquitas direct They are based out of Austin Texas if that helps any.
Fernandes Guitar Fan

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look!

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:45 pm

Took a look, found the site right away, but didn't find prices. reviews say these are great instruments! I may have one in my near future...