Gibson fakes

Non-Tokai guitar discussion area.

Moderator: ned

orvilleowner
Guitar God

Post by orvilleowner » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:27 am

sneakyjapan wrote:well, Leo Fender sold his company so where Fenders fakes after that? Or are only American guitars genuine?
Or were G&L the only true "Fender" guitars made after 1965?

You gotta give Gibson credit for not diluting their brand by pasting their name on guitars coming out of factories-for-hire in Japan and Korea and who knows where. Epiphones and Orvilles kept the Gibson name in much smaller fonts! :roll:

I'm glad at least that Fender does indicate on the guitars where they are made. There are enough other brands that don't want to tell you where the things were made.

declan
Guitar God

Post by declan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:53 am

Has anyone actually seen one of these gibson fakes. it would be interesting to see what they are like

I kind of agree with togps on this one, there is a difference between a copy and a fake, at least in the context of this discussion.

the japanese have been copying some western designs for a long time, look at the motor industry, they copy it improve it and most importantly put their name on it.

The Gibsons from China.... well.... id love to see one.....

Pegcityrocker
Guitar God

Post by Pegcityrocker » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:54 am

Here's a guy selling what appears to be a Chinese copy out of Canada. From his feedback it looks like a few people have already bought them and seem to like them. It doesn't look too quality to me from the pics.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Les-Paul-Guitar-Hone ... dZViewItem

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:21 pm

Amazing what they can do with plywood these days.....

Snake
Guitar God

Post by Snake » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:12 pm

marcusnieman wrote:Amazing what they can do with plywood these days.....
indeed, I recently aquired a guitar unseen and it seems to have plywood down the centre, and some sort of moulded plastic with a flame graphic on it. I got it for chips so it is no big deal, though if I were to get one of these gibson fakes I wouldn't want it to be like that. I am going to china so I think I am gonna wait until then to get my hands on one of these.

Schnabelrock
Guitar God

Post by Schnabelrock » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:00 am

Pegcityrocker wrote:Here's a guy selling what appears to be a Chinese copy out of Canada. From his feedback it looks like a few people have already bought them and seem to like them. It doesn't look too quality to me from the pics.
I already had a closer look to pics of those "GIBSUN". Some guys here have already bought one, now trying to get rid of them again. Quality is desastrous, e. g. I have seen Customs where the fake split diamond was so misplaced that the tuners ran right through. Hands off unless you have a bar and need some wallhangers.

bunbury
Guitar God

Post by bunbury » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:46 pm

I've said this before - I've got one and I don't see why you guys are so worked up about them being tat. Of course they're tat - what do you expect for 10 bucks?

Mine looks pretty good (really), and thanks to it's cunning ply-wood interior it's incredibly light. As the years advance, lightness is a good thing. With a replacement pups it sounds better that an Epiphone Les Paul I used to own.

Better still, it will almost certainly fall apart before I get bored with it. To add to the fun, it has confused several of my guitar-snob friends who desperately wanted it to plant a lot of egg on my face.

I checked with the seller before I bought and he was keen to assure me it was not a real Gibson - which is why I bought it.

bruceboomstick
Guitar God

Post by bruceboomstick » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:21 am

This is the downside of fakes - this guy had this listed as a Ibanez Jem - no reference to it being a "replica" until he was pulled on it

I have a friend who was going to bid on this believing it to be genuine, I hope none of the current bidders have done the same........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

unlike the cheeky chinese chappies, this just seems a little bit more dishonest (at least with a Fine Outstanding Harmonious Guitar you know what you are getting)

cmguitar
Guitar God

Post by cmguitar » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:59 pm

I have seen a Ibanez for sale with Ibanez spelling Ibanes copies are around you have to be savy enough catch it and just think copies of the copies are now showing up. You can Now go to Costco and buy a Starcaster by Fender and a Epoch by Gibson for $99.00USD. Would you call them copies of a Stratocaster and a Les Paul Jr.? They both have the Fender and Gibson name on them But they are nothing like the original.
I know where to get Rolex watches cheap.
FYI- G&L parts do not match to Fender anything and It was done on purpose to protect G&L against any copyrights and not to step on Fenders toes. So G&L`s are original.
Fernandes Guitar Fan
Not enough hours in a day to play!

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:16 pm

The frets are misaligned!!! It can't be from camera angle, they don't just bend, they are at different angles to each other!

Unbelievable at any price!

teleboy four
Plucker

Post by teleboy four » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:43 am

now,that's terrifying...gah...how can they even get away with that...
so glad to have gotten my tokai direct from japan...

Donkey Oaty
Guitar God

Post by Donkey Oaty » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:42 am

Thats digital distortion in the camera !

Blimey I get that sometimes when I take pics of the guitars I sell. Usually because he has not resized the picture before submitting it.

Ozeshin
Guitar God

Post by Ozeshin » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:00 am

"Starcaster by Fender"......OMG...why would you bother....they were shitty semi hollow bodies from the '70's from memory?

orvilleowner
Guitar God

Post by orvilleowner » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:23 am

> You can Now go to Costco and buy a Starcaster by Fender for 99.00USD.

> "Starcaster by Fender"......OMG...why would you bother....they
> were shitty semi hollow bodies from the '70's from memory?

Nope, the late 70's Starcaster is not the same as the Starcaster you can buy at Costco. The current Starcaster is an entry level strat-type solid body.

Did you ever try one of the 70's semi hollow body Starcasters? They were not very popular, in terms of sales, but they were fine guitars.

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:45 am

Donkey Oaty wrote:Thats digital distortion in the camera !

Blimey I get that sometimes when I take pics of the guitars I sell. Usually because he has not resized the picture before submitting it.
I am actually a professional photographer, and I have never, ever seen that happen. I'm not disputing your claim, I guess it's possible, but I would never buy a guitar that has an issue like that in the photo. Never before seen that occur on ebay either.

Red flag!