My Old Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceboomstick

Reaction score
I have had my original strat going on 20 years - an '81 US International Colors series - a real ugly duckling of guitar. I haven't really played it much in the last couple of years and got to thinking of it as semi retired.

Anyway I thought I'd post some pictures of it - it's a genuine relic - and not a bad copy of a silver star either. :D

At the start of the week I was very close to letting it go, but now I've been playing it again I'm thinking NO WAY !!!! It's not just a nostalgia trip, it's a great player (darn lucky because when I bought it Fender didn't have much of a reputation and I didn't have much of an idea!!!)

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Bruce

That is one 8) Strat!

I love that color. What is that color (Malibu Blue? I'm guessing because I can't find my Fender book)

You must not sell (unless it's to me!:wink:)

Lucky guy! If I could afford Big Head Strats I wouldn't have my Silver Stars!

Steve

Cheers Steve - it's Maui Blue, they did a six colours in the range - Capri Orange, Monaco Yellow, Morroco Red, Cathay Black, Arctic White and Sahara Toupe.

Only did it in 1981 - using mostly 70s bits - they all have 79 serials. The Blue and Yellow always seemed most popular - but the Sahara Toupe one is becoming quite sought after as it has a 4 bolt neck (and no TR Bullet) - all others had three.

I haven't seen many examples, but those I have played have been pretty good guitars - it's a much maligned era and I think the IC range was a little over looked because of that.

I do have to say that I'm back playing this one alongside my Love Rock now and it holds up well and complements the sound really well.

bruceboomstick said:
I have had my original strat going on 20 years - an '81 US International Colors series. ... Anyway I thought I'd post some pictures of it - it's a genuine relic - and not a bad copy of a silver star either. :D

It doesn't like like a relic to me! :D Unless you just mean its age and not its condition.

I like the color and I like the Big Headstock.

I'm a big fan of the black pu covers and knobs, but, hey, it's your guitar!

I've had my original strat for 29 1/2 years now ... Nov 1 will be its birthday.

I guiess it's more like one of those closet relics - couple of minor knocks, but more faded than it was when new.

It doesn't show in the pictures, but the finish has gone quite green around the edges of the body and horns - especially where the neck joins - it's kind of reminicent of seafoam green in places.

The big headstock and black pup covers really make this guitar - it's funny but I don't think many people appreciated the larger heads when they were the norm, nowasdays they look really cool again just a little different.

bruceboomstick said:
it's funny but I don't think many people appreciated the larger heads when they were the norm, nowasdays they look really cool again just a little different.

Back in the day, my friends and I all felt that the larger heads were more "heavy metal" than the older smaller heads ... I don't know what those guys think these days. One guy I knew went so far as to swap necks around: he put a 70's neck on some late 50's or early 60's because he didn't like the smaller head.

I recently bought a Highway 1 HSS model just BECAUSE it has the larger head! I'm trying to make it even more 70's by swapping out the string guides. What else can I do? How about a bullet truss rod nut and a 3-hole microtilt? :D

I think Ritchie Blackmore did a lot to give the big headstock it's metal edge !!

One guy I knew went so far as to swap necks around: he put a 70's neck on some late 50's or early 60's because he didn't like the smaller head.
Ouch !!!

Latest posts

Back