The horror, the horror ...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaigeezer

Reaction score
Trekked down from the Four Corners to Albuquerque yesterday, driving the missus down to one of her meetings at the University of New Mexico and had several hours to kill.

Went to a Guitar Center type store (Grandma's Music on North Coors Blvd.) to eyeball a flock of new Fenders, just to see what they've been up to lately. Once again, out of all the guitars (including the Eric Johnson Strat - pretty and resonant, but it seemed like it weighed more than 8 pounds, and was kind of dead, IMO) none of them jazzed me like my vintage Tokais. I am not making this up. Of course, I had to contend with yet another guy playing the Ozzie Death Crunch through a dimed Marshall in the amp room (DUNH DUNH DUHN DUNH DUNH DUNH) so it became difficult to hear the qualities of the EJ pickups through a Deluxe Reverb reissue. Very nice, the EJ, as I've said, and the tinted, flamey neck is gorgeous, but nothing that bowled me over. And it costs $1,600.

Next stop, a tiny shop in the northeast, Encore Music, run by an old geez (I'm 51, so am just a geez in training) named Louie. They had some of those G&L Tribute (neck and bodies made overseas, assembled in the USA with standard G&L hardware) and wow were they better than the Fenders I tried earlier. Lighter, more resonant and very lovely, airy tones through a small Kustom tube amp (not the most expensive amp there by any means). The Tributes, which run about $600-$700, kicked the butts clean off the Fenders in every way. Fender ought to be ashamed of themselves. And these are the El Cheapo Korean-made G&Ls. I can't imagine what the USA made ones sound like! And no, I don't work for G&L, or know anyone who does.

I love the idea of Fenders, and in fact own a 97 Hendrix Tribute Strat that is a pretty good guitar, but am very dissapointed in their overall build quality lately. Brothers and sisters, it really ticks me off that another great American company is just going through the motions and living off the past! They are building assembly line cr*p! :evil:

I was so annoyed that I have vowed to build a Warmoth parts Strat that I suspect will dust the EJ. I have an ash body in Ice Metallic Blue, a nice birdseye maple neck (boatneck profile) and will use the Callaham Strat hardware kit, plus some Torres Blues pickups (clones of Van Zandt Blues) with the Torres deluxe mid boost. Total cost about $1,200.

So one again I am convinced to hang onto my Silver Stars and my 1980 Reborn Old!

Hi,

if I've understood that right you have the parts already ...?

If not - and if you're looking for a 'Custom made' give my friend Bruno Jacquet a try. You will not regret it!
He's not a prof luthier but he's simply the best and the results are outstanding ones! He made my Tele. Look at the album 'Tele' - one piece ash body, with a Tiger stripe ash veneer on the top, double binding - he's just finishing the birdseye neck for me. He's kicking the Fenders a.... !

http://ruediger-albrecht.medion-fotoalbum.de/

He's from Lacrosse/Wisconsin - so not far away from you :lol: !

If you're interested - PM me, please.

Roger

I was looking at the posting and felt I need it tell you what I have found out about G&L I own a Legacy built in 92 I may be too late to post this. The USA G&L is the way to go call G&L they will set up a G&L with what options you want . Mine has a expansion switch installed from the factory and it is 10 times better than the newer high end Strats . G&L parts only fit G&L they do not exchange with other guitars . The tributes the bodys are made from the same specs.And the pickups are the same ,but the hardware on the tribute is machined diffrent than the USA models so the Tribute hardware will not fit the American G&L . But for the money and quality G&L is great I like the USA better. But I don`t carry my Legacy out to play it stays at home . My gigging guitars are Fernandes LE MIJ I own 3 . If you can find a MIJ LE 1 or 2 they are made to old Fender Specs and the quality is high like MIJ Tokai. I am considering placing G&L pups in one of them . The G&L pickups interchange with other guitars and that is about all.

I own an MIJ Tribute and it`s really well made. Same US p`ups and hardware but it came with tiny pots and a plastic switch. 3 piece ash body but somebody took the time to line the third piece up dead center of the guitar, it`s slightly wider than the neck plate. Lives up the the quality of workmanship we`ve come to expect from Japanese builders. May try to fit some better pots in it someday.

A friend of mine owns a G&L ASAT USA model and A Tribute ASAT model . He changed the pots and switch on his Tribute.Scratchy pots and switches are a problem with Tributes That is what I was told. And the early ones had tuning problems but overall they are good guitars . better than what a lot of the value priced guitars that are on the market today. And the sound is American G&L.

Latest posts

Back