disaster strikes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad347

Reaction score
Well, was doing some practicing last night and got distracted in the middle of packing up, thought I had latched the case to my beautiful and nearly pristine 1953 Epiphone Triumph Regent, I love that guitar, has been my main guitar lately...

Well, I pick up the case and it of course spills open and the guitar takes a spill... didn't fall more than a foot but now it has two nice large grain-line cracks near the bass side F-hole... I am just sick about it. I'm like in mourning right now... i don't even feel like playing guitar. I a prior commitment all day today but I'm going to try to get there early to see if I can cut out early to see if I can take it to this guy I was recommended to... I'm sure he can fix it but for what cost I don't know and it's still just not the same.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm sorry to hear about your beloved. :(

Once I was playing on my day off and left my 1958 Guild TD-100 on the bed when I got up to answer the phone. To my horror I saw my then 4-year-old son proudly dragging it to me, saying "Guitar, Daddy!"

And then he dropped it right on the headstock, which snapped off clean like a toothpick. After much grief I sent it off to Guild (then in Rhode Island) where a 40-year craftsman named Guido put a new neck on it, as the headstock was a goner because it had undergone major repairs twice before. I now have a custom Guild! 8)

Great luthiers can work magic. The good thing is that you live near many of them. Good luck and take the time to have a master do it right.

take care

Steve

great jazz guitarist Dave Stryker recommended his guy to me and that's where I'm taking it.

Thanks for your kind words and solidarity. I'm beginning to cheer up as I realize that it's pointless to keep fretting over it.

:)

brad347 said:
I'm beginning to cheer up as I realize that it's pointless to keep fretting over it.
It took me more than 20 years to even open the case of my Luxor ES 335 copy which I had damaged (and repaired) back then... :wink:

for me...the harder I try to keep a guitar looking like new, the more dings it gets. So now that I know battle scars are inevitable...I buy used...pre-dinged guitars and I don`t even notice when I put one in...much.

Even if you're a carefull kind of people and let the guitar rest on a stand or a case,it's inevitable making any ding however besides pick scratches......I try to be as carefull as I can but sometimes it occurs,you are worry some time but you forgot later.Guitars are made for using them....I use to let mu Tokai to people for playing it's my pilosophy because taht's the reason they realized they are good,in fact after playing and saying I like this "Les Paul",the next question is how much for this... :roll: They are for my personal use but I want people knowing Tokai and sometimes I can't say no....I'd only sell my Tokais in other to try more Tokais(auto-finnance)....

dings are one thing... i don't give a **** about those... but top cracks are another story.

I just got around to reading this thread... my condolences. I know what it's like to get that sick feeling in the pit of your belly when you see your prized guitar take a tumble. I had something similar happen to my Gibby SG 61 reissue!

Let us know how the repair turns out....

I took it to Jim Millinchuk in NJ. He's supposedly THE **** when it comes to these sorts of things, so I'll let you know. I should have it back a week from Friday.

That sucks! Sorry Brad.

Hopefully the repair will make her good as new.

i'm over it by now. But for a couple of days i was pretty depressed! ;)

All will be well when I get her back.

Back