Speaker upgrades

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadman

Reaction score
How many of you have done it and what did you swap? Were you pleased with the results?
Since I put a new JJ valve in my Marshall AVT I've noticed a new warmth to the tone.
I just ordered a Celestion V60 12 for it too (ENGL use them in their cabs) as apparently the Celestion it came with back in 2002 is crap. The way I figure it's certainly worth changing for something better and not too much cash.
I hope to nail a nice vintage tone.

What's your experience with swaps/upgrades guys?

I swapped 2 Celestion Vintage 30s (actually rated at 60W apiece and NOT vintage sounding, don't let the name fool you) in an all-tube Ashdown Peacemaker 60 for 2 Celestion G12H30 Anniversaries. The Vintage 30s were impressively hi-fi & captured all the nuances of your playing. They also projected exceptionally well, but had a harsh midrange spike that was truly painful to the ears. Especially on an openback box like the Peacemaker. I also mostly use P-90s so it was midrange overkill.
By comparison, the G12H30s are more balanced overall. There's more bottom-end evident, while the mids, though still prominent, are a lot more mellow sounding. The highs are sweeter too. They give out as much volume but the overall tone is warmer, rounder & considerably less ear-knackering. The lower (30W) power handling capacity means they break up sooner too, which suits me as I only ever use the clean channel on this amp (the drive channel is beyond pants).
The Vintage 30s are meant to yield better results in a closed-back cab though, so I'll shortly shove them in a knackered old 2x12 Marshall PA cab which has crapulent no-name speakers in it that I intend to flog on Ebay for the price of a pint.
What the V30 and the G12H30 have in common is they don't compress much if at all, even at high volumes. The G12H maybe just a little bit more, but still barely.
If you want more natural compression, the one to go for is probably the G12M25 AKA the Greenback (only 25W power handling apiece though).
I'll shortly be shoving a Fane Alnico AXA12 into an old Musicman HD130 from the 70s. If anyone cares, I'll post the results!

I own a Fender '94 DRRI and a Fender '94 BluesDeVille ...

The BDV was ok - but the DR had a very harsh tone from the Eminence speaker ...

I changed as follows:

ToneTubby - speaker (some people complain that the speakers burn out very early - I cannot verify this )
TAD Tonebones to give a Class A mod - very smooth, singing distorted sound since then ... reduces the power, highly recommended - very good for my Tele, less for my LesPaul-types.
My BDV has the 4x10 AlNiCo speakers - no complaints. Together with 2 (open) cabs with 2 ToneTubbies and 2 Weber BlueDogs it is the combination which is better than I ever thought it would be ... the Les Pauls do all I want them to do !!

... with some pedals in front of it !! Damage Control Demonizer, ToneBone Classic, modded TS9 and Boss EQ7.

Roger

Back