Epiphone Valve Junior

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keir

Reaction score
What up, y'all.

I just picked up an Epiphone Valve Junior on eBay for (reasonably) cheap which I'm really impressed with. Based on my googling I was expecting it to be pretty loud, and it's louder than I expected. It's a little too loud to comfortably play near for more than a few minutes, which is impressive for only 5 watts.

And it sounds great. It's my first genuine tube amp to I'm not comparing it to anything, but its overdrive tone is insanely awesome to my ears.

Having said that, it does seem to suffer from being so small, it has a bit of a "small speaker" sound.

I've read a lot about people modding these amps, changing speaker, tubes etc and I was wondering if it was worth it, or is it better to get a separate cab for a better sound. (This has 3 speaker outputs: 4, 8 and 16 ohm), bearing in mind that I don't have much money.

And also bearing in mind that I like how it sounds at the moment expect for it's "small boxiness".

P.S. It looks cool.

00058214.jpg

P.P.S. I know there's a lot of info on the googles about this, but I'd thought I'd ask here as well seeing as everyone is so helpful.

Yes the VJ's are supprisingly good!

You can go down the route of upgrading, new valves, new speaker, point-point turret boards, new transformers etc and what you will end up with is a very expensive amp that sounds 10% better than stock.

I would definetely advise keeping it as it is and saving your money to ugrade to a better amp when you feel the need.

assuming that's what yours looks like, that looks like a version 3- by all accounts, it has the "correct" output transformer etc., corrected input impedance, etc., so it might not even "need" any mods.

i have the head version, i think it's version 2- i reckon (if i ever get round to it :lol: ) i could probably upgrade everything which needs to be upgraded for around ?50 (if not less), which'd probably be worth it- but i agree with john in that there's no point in throwing hundreds of quid at it.

can't really comment on the combo and its speaker too much, as i think i only tried it once. i've got the 1x12 cab, which is pretty nice for the money. I'll probably upgrade the speaker eventually, and then i can use it with my engl too.

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not going to spend very much money on it (if any), I may end up down the track getting a decent cab to use with it so that further down the track I can maybe get a decent(er) head.

All in the future. At the moment I don't really feel like doing anything, it's so much fun to play.

yeah, if it's v3 it probably doesn't need any mods, unless you bought it with the express intention of modding it, lol. :)

I've got a v2 which I bought to mess around with. It sounds great with new tubes and some (cheap) mods- corrections to the design really.
I've heard the v3 model addresses many of these points so yours might well sound the same as mine already!

/Magnus

Plug it into a bigger speaker cabinet and it will sound like a bigger amp. :wink:

I have run my blackstar ht-5 head into a 4*12 Electrovoice 12lm vintage cab and it rocked, blew my blues deluxe away (untill my deluxe was turned past ). The blues deluxe * EV cab was Amazing. I'd love to hear this value amp, thinking of getting one for my son.

I'd love to hear this value amp, thinking of getting one for my son.

Yeah, they seem like real value for money - just make sure you get the 3rd version, that seems to be the consensus.

A couple of times when I've felt like more volume or wanted some effects I've mic'ed (SM58) the V.J and plugged it into my 50w Vox AD50VT pseudo-valve amp on the Tweed preset, and it sounds pretty **** decent.

I still prefer the valve sound by itself though.

Hi Guys,

I recommend you have a look at these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350172368962

He doesn't have any at the minute but relists every week. He does really good work and is very highly recommended. If you message him you'll find he's very helpful.

Myself and a few others on the forum have his modded Blackheart heads.

Dave

Back