Harley Benton Amps from Thomann

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave,

I haven't tried one (yet!). He's been getting a few respectful nods on some message boards, though, which is what piqued my interest. Pretty tempting prices too.

I heard on one forum from some users, that you need to change tubes and speaker (in combo) to become a very good amp.

DaveWW said:
Andy,

Have you tried one? I've been very tempted by his new ones with power scaling.

Dave

I own one from him but without the tone control or power scaling and it is great. Power scaling would be a nice feature for me - mine has power attenuator which is useful and works well but power scaling is preferable.

I have recommended these on this forum before. Also own a Laney VC30 which is another great amp but havn't used it since I bought my Harley Benton. For great tone at home its perfect.

Hear the ?69 factory ones have issues, but ?200 for modded version you get more than you pay for.
________
KDX220A

Yep, very tempting - seems to cost around another ?80 for power scaling.

Trouble is I've recently bought a fender champion 600 and changed the speaker for a jensen and upgraded the valves. It sounds good but I'm gasing or is it aasing? for one of these already.

Dave

I know I'll try and resist - but it's not easy :lol:

I've got some more bits to mod it some more so I'll see how that goes.

Dave

I haven't a clue what I'm doing. :lol:

IMG_0493.jpg

PS If I can do this anyone can.......

But I seem to have hijacked this thread so I'll open a new one with the results.

John - be impressed 8)

Mods:

Hum and noise reduction modifications
AC to DC heater (filament) supply conversion mod.
HT supply filter and voltage drop mod
Re-positioning the output transformer)

Amp voicing mod
? 5F1 a.k.a. ?1956-1964 Tweed Champ? - More gain but not too much

Protection Mod (Fitting an H.T. Fuse)
Standby switch

Pentode/Triode mode switch mod
Not done this one ? a bit intricate and not for the faint hearted (which I?m not). Might give it a go now though based on the success of this.

Sounds even better than it did. Easier to get a bit of nice distortion at lower volumes and quiet as a mouse even on full for recording.

IMG_0496.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

It's now quite heavily modded including the 6 inch Jensen, valves and JohnA's speaker attenuator.

Must confess that I did think I'd broken it but coincidently the 12AX7 valve had packed up now running fine on a Marshall EEC83 which was all I could get on a Sunday :D

Dave

Well done Dave. I'm inpressed :wink: I re-biased my JTM45 last week after fitting a solid-state rectifier and thought I was doing well! Incidentally the valve rec's going back in, sounds much better!

Does anyone do a full point-point kit for those little Fender's? They are cracking little amps, much better IMO than the valve juniors.

Thanks, It's just soldering by numbers really - all credit to the guy who cam up with the kit. As I think you know I meant it when I said I hadn't a clue what I was doing :lol:

As well as more gain the base response is better now but it I think it would be much better still through a bigger cab.

It's still too loud so the pentode/triode switch would be a nice addition. I'll try that next.

Dave

I don't think the pentode/triode switch will make a great deal of difference to the volume, even 1W is suprisingly loud, I think with your obvious electronics talent you should be looking at installing power-scaling :wink:

Power Scaling.... Just because you want to try it :lol: .

So do I - I was going to suggest you tried it so I could have a go :lol:

Still - maybe, I must confess I was thinking about it.........

PS for talent swap mindless fiddler :p

Dave

John,

You're such a smooth talker. :wink:

SB2 Power Scaling Kit on it's way from London Power. I asked them if it could be fitted by a novice. They more or less said yes and that I only needed to find 3 key points on the amplifier and I could phone/contact them for help if necessary. :D

Dave

Back