Valve combo

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DP

Reaction score
Posted this on tokai guitars in error
anyway, have been playing about a year, starting at the grand old age of 48, and have started joining in local jam sessions with my squier. I am about to purchase an LS85F and will be looking to purchase a valve combo to compliment this guitar. Budget is an issue (I have a wife!!!!)
Could I have some suggestions (about the amp) please
cheers
DP

It would help to know a bit more about your tastes in music, which players get the sounds that you like and would like to get close to, etc. etc. Choice of amps is a very personal thing, depending on what you hope to sound like. Once you let us know that, someone should be able to make a few suggestions. An idea of your maximum budget would help too, as well as where in the world you are.

8)

Mike

I like the tones of players like Gary Moore, Jan Ackerman, Dave Gilmour,
Peter Green, mick Ronson, Paul Kossoff, early Clapton and many more.
I reckon my budget would be up to about ?400.
I am south london based
cheers
DP

The best budget valve combo that I've found recently are the B52 AT series.
AT112Main.jpg

http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/AT112.html
and you could try the ST series as well....
ST6012Main.jpg

http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/ST6012.html
The ST IS pricier than the AT however but both have amazing tones...and will DEFINITELY be my next amp...unless Ceritone distribute in Australia :p

Well I'm not really the best person to advise DP, am I Mick? :lol:

Actually, I realised when I read that, that I have no idea what amps Peter Green used. Anyone know?

Gary Moore uses...oh....sorry wrong "bluesman" :p
When it comes to Peter Green you need to specify an era for example:
By 1964 MATAMP amplifiers were made on neatly bent aluminum chassis with a white front panel
with the name MATAMP on the front with a single underscore line under the name. With such an audio
sound, people in the pop business began to talk and in 1968 Mat was then approached by a man in
London named Cliff Cooper. Cliff wanted some amps made for his studio in London called Orange.
A sample amplifier was made and taken to London where it was tried by Peter Green of the group
Fleetwood Mac. The amplifier was a success and Peter Green used it to record Albatross which
went to number one on the charts and has been popular ever since. Mat's amplifiers were now in
demand. Fleetwood Mac went on tour through the United States with Mat and he realized that the
amp chassis and box would need to be more heavy duty and the power output would need to be at
least 100 Watt.
AND:
Fenton Weill guitar amp.
Circa '64, built in an era where amps of this type took on that magic sound. Fenton Weill was a favorite amp of Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac. This amp was built with materials found on both early AC30s and the early Marshalls. Truly a collectors piece.
fentonfrnt.gif

MOSTLY it was the MATAMP 2000 circa 1964 and it's various upgraded models throught the 60's.

First, If you just started to play, mostly livingroom practise and do some jamming now and then you will probably not need any more wattage than 15.

You want real quality and still not overpriced... the answer would be a Blackheart. The Handsome Devil model would probably suit your needs, or maybe even the Little Giant 5 watter. Depends on how much cleans you need and jam volumes.

204845.jpg

Then there's always the Pro and Blues Juniors on the used market, which are good starters! Good luck!

You could also check out the Ceriatone 18 watt clones , awesome value for money and bullit proof construction, i'll link you.. :wink:
http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSTMBEF86/BSTMBEF86Complete.htm
Check out the reviews at harmony central
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar%20Amp/brand/CeriaTone
I'm getting a 100 watt jcm 800 lead series at the moment
You can also hear what they are about at 18watt.com.

Mick

I would suggest a Vox valvetronix modelling amp combo. You can get lots of different tones from it.
I have the AD60VTX and it sounds great with my LS90Q. I gig with this amp.
They do a AD30VT series which would be more than adequate for your needs.
In fact the ad50vt is probably a good choice (bit cheaper than the 30 or 60). You can pick up one of these for about ?190 new. They are a lot of amp for the money.
Check them out on HC reviews. Worth a look.

By way of an outside suggestion - Epiphone Valve Junior -?90 and delivers a very good early clapton - it's only 5 watts (albeit a remarkably loud 5 watts). Only real downside is 8 inch speaker, which (arguably) sounds a bit boxy. Almost throwaway money when you consider it's a Class A all valve amp for not much more than a solid state practice amp.

Could be limited by output for jamming - so I'd suggest a Fender Blues Junior - I put my LS70F through one and it does instant "Still Got the Blues"

bruceboomstick said:
I'd suggest a Fender Blues Junior - I put my LS70F through one and it does instant "Still Got the Blues"

Ah, that must be why I've never been very impressed with the sound of my Blues Junior! :lol:

stratman323 said:
bruceboomstick said:
I'd suggest a Fender Blues Junior - I put my LS70F through one and it does instant "Still Got the Blues"

Ah, that must be why I've never been very impressed with the sound of my Blues Junior! :lol:
Yessss..people should be looking for that classic"Under the bridge/I am the next hendrix just ask me" tone.. :p

Ah, that must be why I've never been very impressed with the sound of my Blues Junior!

I was going to edit my post to contain the phrase "If that's your bag" :D

Gary Moore is undoudtedly the guitar equivalent to marmite.

bruceboomstick said:
Gary Moore is undoudtedly the guitar equivalent to marmite.

You mean he's a good source of B vitamins? :eek: I knew that he had to have a use.....

bruceboomstick said:
By way of an outside suggestion - Epiphone Valve Junior -?90 and delivers a very good early clapton - it's only 5 watts (albeit a remarkably loud 5 watts). Only real downside is 8 inch speaker, which (arguably) sounds a bit boxy. Almost throwaway money when you consider it's a Class A all valve amp for not much more than a solid state practice amp.

I bought a modded 5w Harley Benton GA5 (same as epi valve jr) from this guy and have never looked back.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZandydokken

Was an excellent buy (?200). Mine has stock speaker but still sounds fantastic.
I notice now he is fitting celstion super 8's to them which I expect make them sound even better!
Am yet to try mine out with an extension cab but I bet through a 4x12 it would hold its own in a band practice.

Can't recommend my little amp highly enough. :D

(if link expires, this one should work http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/andydokken/)
________
dispensaries

Fender Champion 600 tube guitar amp 5 Watt

Just tried one of these in my local guitar shop. Very impressed - I'll probably buy one next week. No tone controls, no effects, no nothing but sounds great.

Dave

Ok, picked one up at a pretty good price on ebay. Still very impressed - great little amp.

It's only 5W but it still kicks out a lot of sound. I wish you could get the best sounds a lower volume but even at only 5W it's too loud for home use in the evening!

Dave

Latest posts

Back