Any help with a certain tone please?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJBennett

Reaction score
I got an amp a few weeks (marshall valvestate 8080) ago with my es135 and ive been trying to get a certain tone like from the video below, can anyone please point me roughly if they can how to get close to the tone? Ive forced myself to get it and have been fiddling since about 9am to no avail!

Anything on the channel, settings, guitar knobs would be great.

Thanks
James.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YA5dpsGXmWk

You should try:

Neck pickup
Tone backed off just a little bit
Clean channel on the amp with the gain pushed up

I'm not sure about the amp settings as I don't have an 8080. I'd maybe try something like bass on 4, treble on 7 and mids on 6?

I have that same tone but just a tad more overdriven...not much though...don't want it to sound distorted.
Mine's more like the classic Clapton "woman" tone from his Cream days...Clapton and Kossoff...I've gone back to my roots for my tone lately.
A good way to get the tone you're after may be to purchase an "Eric Clapton Crossroads" modelling pedal....it has sampled effects from Clapton himself.

Ozeshin said:
I have that same tone but just a tad more overdriven...not much though...don't want it to sound distorted.
Mine's more like the classic Clapton "woman" tone from his Cream days...Clapton and Kossoff...I've gone back to my roots for my tone lately.
Paul Kossoff's tone is the reason I got my first LP all those years ago. I've always gotten that sound by turning the amp (waaay) up and then keep pushing the guitar volume up to find the sweet overdrive spot of those tubes.

To sound like that Clapton video with the ES, just about any old cranked-up Fender twin or super reverb will do it. Same, thing as I described above, find the spot right where the tubes begin to break up on the amp with guitar down low and then push the volume up on the guitar and by your own playing.

With your marshall solid state its tough. That's the sound that a s.s. amp can't do real well. The clean channel won't work. Try dist channel with a little gain( 2 or 3). You could get closer with a pedal thru the clean chan. There is really nothing special about the tone though. Just an overdrive pedal and PRACTICE. I think what you are after is more about playing and less about electronics!

Hi - great link, I had not seen this - good isn't he!

I have an ES and get near to this quite easily with the pickup selector in the middle position, cut the bass back and crank it up. It also helps if you can play with tis fluidity as some of the drive is coming from him allowing strings to bleed into each other & playing two strings at any one time. He may also have the mid cut a bit as this is not a very woody sound and Tokai pickups seem to me to have a lot of mids in the mix - good hunting

Latest posts

Back