What was your 1st Guitar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochay

Reaction score
In 1979 I was Stationed in Bad Kissingen/West Germany.
I bought a Hofner Strat style Electric and a Massive Hofner Amp

1st Real Guitar that I bought that Inspired me was a 1988 Gibber Les Paul

a no name nylon stringed classical when I was about 8 or 9 years old; it cost about $14 at a TG&Y discount store, and most likely MIJ, since everything in the late 1960s was MIJ................

Well, my first stringed instrument was a Harmony ukelele (still have it). But since it's not a guitar, my first real six string was a 1950's Roy Rogers cowboy guitar (yup, the painted one) from Sears Roebuck. Regretfully I don't have it anymore - they're worth some cash now. Think I busted it over my brother's head :wink:

Columbus LP copy with bolt-on neck! Really wanted a strat but got the columbus for Christmas so shouldn't complain. That was 25 years ago.

A cheap acoustic, which I don't count. So my first electric was a secondhand black Avon Les Paul copy. Horrible thing - steamed ply top to give the Les Paul curved top, bolt on neck, and an action too high even for slide.

First proper guitar? A Tokai Goldstar ST50 bought new in December 1983 for ?189 - Sunburst with maple neck. Which is why I still have a soft spot for Tokais today.

Mike

My Dad was pilot in the USAF when I was a kid and brought home a nylon string acoustic from Spain when I was 7-year-old. I have no idea what the make was but I proceeded to beat the crap out of it for the next several years trying to sound like the Beatles. I got my first electric, a used white early 60's Fender stratocaster for my 11th birthday and sold it (one of the many, many dumb things that I've ever done but they were dirt cheap in those pre-Hendrix days--who knew??) when I got a used cherry ES-335 for Christmas when I was 13. I kept that Gibson all through high school. The first guitar I ever bought with my own money was an Epiphone acoustic..... (still trying to sound like the Beatles). Since then, I've bought, sold, given-away and had stolen from me so **** many guitars that the next 30+ years have been a blur.

I remember that my family was celebrating Christmas at my grandma's house late '70s. I got beautiful tobaccoburst LP shaped Hondo. Dream come true. :D

My first guitar was bought in 1980, it was a Suzuki black les paul custom, it had a solid body and set neck and i have done many searches for info on this guitar and come up with zilch. Anyone owned or know anything about these MIJ 70's Suzuki's ??
Mick

My first electric ...
In 1966 a very ugly Jaguar-like Hofner with some useless sliding controllers and crappy trem and tuners ...
Colored in RED with white or pearloid scratchplate ... bbbrrrrrrr

Couldn't afford something better ... :( :( :(

No funds for an amp either ... so at home I used to play through an old tube radio ... 8) 8)
In the rehearsal room I was allowed to plug into a bandmate's VOX ... he owned one AC15 because he was son of rich parents ... he was a lucky guy in my eyes then ... :roll:

Roger

1st ever guitar I played was a no name MiJ Tele copy.
Pretty good but had the 3rd fret dot inlay missing :eek: .
Swapped it for a white MiJ SG style guitar...it had a series of switches for p'up selectors and pickups that looked like Gretsch TV Jones.
Swapped THAT for a MiJ Emperador strat.

My first guitar was a Yamaha CG-110 nylonstring. Made in Taiwan. Got it as a suprise christmas present from my mother when I was 11 years old. Still have it but rarely play it.

My first electric was a Maison-brand bolt on Les Paul Custom copy. Never seen any other Maisons after it. Some idiot told me to put 011 on it to get better sound. I was twelve and wanted to bend strings like Slash. Couldn't do it and thought there's something wrong with the guitar... :roll:

My first guitar was a realy bad (no name) acoustic with a 2" action
but first electric was a kay (strat type) with a flower style pattern on the black 1 vol 1 tone chrome covered humbucker style (only in style /sounded like a wasp in a can)
pickup selection was via two flick type switches (like those on a floppy disc
used to stop you copying over saved data & about the same quality)
but it had a great 3 tone sunburst finish & one of the best necks i have ever played (just like that on my goldstar r/w & rolled edge)
It cost me ?25.00 (gbp) complete with a 5watt amp & gig bag
(a lot of money in 1974) I fitted some pick ups from an old burns & some
decent pots (WOW I WAS AN AXE GOD) later sold it to a guy i was having lessons from for ?30.00(gbp) thought ,what a result ,only paid ?25.00(gbp) for it and get to keep the amp
Then bought a columbus les paul (spent a kings ransom upgrading only for them too bring out an upgraded model for about twenty pouns more??)
have still got it though ....

I got my first guitar in 1970. It was a Futurama (Hagstrom) three pickup model in red and I paid ?5.00 for it. It didn't sound great but it had a nice neck and played very well. Unfortunately I had to sell that one because of a shortage of funds. I recently had the opportunity to buy one again and I just couldn't refuse;

Futurama1.jpg
[/img]

Mine was a Zenta Telecaster Copy - Made in Japan at a guess it was late sixties, early seventies. I got it in about '85 for ?30 in a second hand shop. It was truely awful - I think it was plywood and was only about an inch thick, it had 1 pickup and a horrid action. I spent the first 6 months trying to learn armed only with a tattered copy of Bert Weedon's Tune-a-Day. Had a Kay amp of some descripton too - can't remember where that came from. I suppose bearing in mind it's age it was technically a vintage instrument, but that only proves that old does not always mean good............

I stuck with that until I got my Tokai .38 Special and a Vox Venue amp about a year later.

jawilluk's futurama looks like something from the tv show of the same name!

My first guitar was a Maya Telecaster copy - it was found in an old house my Dad was redecorating - the owner gave it to him - it was a garish translucent yellow colour, with a missing bridge saddle, and the pickups were absolutely bloody awful - some serious hum going on. I also remember my Dad driving us around all the guitar shops in the midlands to try and find a new bridge saddle to replace the missing one. Took a long time. Thanks god we have the internet now!

Back