Blacklights

Discussion that is not Tokai or guitar focused.

Moderator: ned

stratman323

Blacklights

Post by stratman323 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:56 am

This thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

started the discussion about blacklights - apparently they can be used to identify whether a guitar is finished in poly or nitro, which would be useful bearing in mind how often this gets discussed on the forum.

I found a UK site, and the smallest blacklight they have is this:

http://www.uvgear.co.uk/product/product110.htm

Could anyone please tell me if this will be suitable?

Mike

CrusHtone
Plucker
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:17 am
Location: Atlanta Georgia
Contact:

Let your little light shine!

Post by CrusHtone » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:28 am

Mike,

That light is way too high. This is the one I use http://www.blacklight.com/items/chnvf4. What, is that about a third of the price of the one you are looking at? You guys in the UK should go in on several, and share shipping.

I don't have time right now, but I will get back to you about the particulars of reading the results.

Richard

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:41 am

Too high? You mean too powerful?

I saw that site, but I don't want to buy from abroad if I can get the same product here in the UK, without any of the import hassles.

Mike

AlanN
Guitar God
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post by AlanN » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:49 am

Mike, check this out:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6050

Importing isn't a worry as they're way under the ?22(?) VAT-and-import-tax limit.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:21 am

Alan,

Thanks but no thanks. After my recent experience with the wrongly described Springy, I'm not buying anything from abroad unless there really is no alternative. And I'm sure there's no reason to buy a blacklight from abroad - they must be just as readily available in the UK, so I want to find a supplier here.

Mike

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:24 am

Forgot to mention, I bought all the Fabulous Thunderbirds albums on CD earlier this year from a company in North America (I couldn't find them in the UK) . There was a fault with one of the CDs, but they never even replied to my e.mails. And because they're abroad, there's nothing I can do about it.

So I'll give my money to UK sellers in future....

Mike

leadguitar_323
Guitar God
Posts: 3534
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Brisbane Australia

Post by leadguitar_323 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi Mike, sorry to hear about your troubles, in saying that i buy everything from overseas because its either way overpriced or i just can't get it here and i have never had a problem, and i've bought lots of stuff and guitars, your just unlucky i guess. I wouldn't totally discount buying off shore but i would ask a lot of questions before buying. ....cheers Mick
so many guitars....so little money...

AlanN
Guitar God
Posts: 1070
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:14 pm
Location: Lancashire, UK

Post by AlanN » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:49 am

stratman323 wrote:Alan,

Thanks but no thanks. After my recent experience with the wrongly described Springy, I'm not buying anything from abroad unless there really is no alternative. And I'm sure there's no reason to buy a blacklight from abroad - they must be just as readily available in the UK, so I want to find a supplier here.

Mike
No worries. If it's any reassurance to anybody else, i've used them extensively and they've always been fast (5-7 days from Hong Kong), cheap and with good customer service.

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9110
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:02 pm

stratman323 wrote:Forgot to mention, I bought all the Fabulous Thunderbirds albums on CD earlier this year from a company in North America (I couldn't find them in the UK) . There was a fault with one of the CDs, but they never even replied to my e.mails. And because they're abroad, there's nothing I can do about it.

So I'll give my money to UK sellers in future....

Mike
I've got em all. Which one do you want? You pay the postage, I got you covered.

FYI, two of my good friends Johnny (guitar) and Jason Moeller(drums) are in the current T Bird lineup. Check em out on the T Birds website.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:03 am

It's OK thanks Marcus - it's one of the live bonus tracks at the end of What's The Word? that doesn't play properly, but I already have the track on Different Tacos, so it's not really a problem, just annoying that they ignored my e.mails once they had my money. But thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. (I have all the early stuff on vinyl anyway)

I've never heard of Johhny as a T-Birds guitarist. I missed the band's last London show (at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden - how the hell do you get home from there late at night?!), but it was broadcast on radio, and i understood that the guitarists were Kirk "Eli" Fletcher & Nick Curran? So Johhny is the drummer's brother?

Having heard the show, I wish I had gone. Last time I saw them was when the T-Birds were mainly ex-James Harman alumni - Kid Ramos on guitar, and the former Harman bass player (whose name I forget). Much as I like Ramos, it didn't work - it wasn't the T-Birds. They turned into a rock band, they just didn't have the sleaze and the dirt that the T-Birds need. Luckily they've got it back, so I'll make sure I catch them next time.

Of course some people can go and see stuff like this all the time - we get it a few times a year. :( And even then, only when it's warm over here. :lol:

Thanks for the info.

Mike

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9110
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:21 am

stratman323 wrote:It's OK thanks Marcus - it's one of the live bonus tracks at the end of What's The Word? that doesn't play properly, but I already have the track on Different Tacos, so it's not really a problem, just annoying that they ignored my e.mails once they had my money. But thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. (I have all the early stuff on vinyl anyway)

I've never heard of Johhny as a T-Birds guitarist. I missed the band's last London show (at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden - how the hell do you get home from there late at night?!), but it was broadcast on radio, and i understood that the guitarists were Kirk "Eli" Fletcher & Nick Curran? So Johhny is the drummer's brother?

Having heard the show, I wish I had gone. Last time I saw them was when the T-Birds were mainly ex-James Harman alumni - Kid Ramos on guitar, and the former Harman bass player (whose name I forget). Much as I like Ramos, it didn't work - it wasn't the T-Birds. They turned into a rock band, they just didn't have the sleaze and the dirt that the T-Birds need. Luckily they've got it back, so I'll make sure I catch them next time.

Of course some people can go and see stuff like this all the time - we get it a few times a year. :( And even then, only when it's warm over here. :lol:

Thanks for the info.

Mike
I've got some bootleg live T Birds CD's with Jimmie Vaughan if you're interested.

Nick Curran (another pal from when he lived here - right after his stint with Kay Lenz and the Jaguars) got fired from the T Birds. He's kind of gone punk and not a real fit with the T Birds. He had his side project band Deguello going on as well - don't think that went too well with Kim Wilson either. I also know that Kim Wilson's wife didn't like Nick at all. So Nick left and took their bass player Ronnie James with him - also playing in Deguello now.

So yeah, the T Birds have a pretty new line up. Johnny is Jay's older brother - they used to gig up here years ago as the Holy Moellers and were great. Had young Paul Size (from the Red Devils) on guitar as well. Ah those were the days......we were all young, into guitars and the blues and some made it - I idolized the early T Birds (still do) and now a couple of my music pals are in the band. How cool is that?

japanstrat
Guitar God
Posts: 879
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:06 am

Post by japanstrat » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:38 am


stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:57 am

Very cool indeed. I'm glad to hear that the T.Birds seem to be back to form, I kind of lost interest a bit when Jimmie left. I think the early T.Birds had a huge influence on anyone who heard them back in the early 80s, even here across the pond. They used to visit us once or twice a year, & those hours spent in front of Jimmie changed my whole view of guitar playing.

Yes, of course I want to hear anything with the early line up! I'll send you my details by PM - just tell me what I owe you. :P Have you seen the recently released DVD Live From London? Recorded at The Camden Palace on 29th April 1985. I was there.....

:P

Mike

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:38 pm

Back to blacklights. The nearest I could find was a counterfeit money detector, which uses a small UV tube (cost me ?10). However, guitars that I know are poly look the same to me (under this light) as guitars that I know are nitro.

What should I be looking out for? :-?

Mike

MIJvintage
Guitar God
Posts: 2984
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:08 am
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota USA
Contact:

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:11 pm

stratman323 wrote:Back to blacklights. The nearest I could find was a counterfeit money detector, which uses a small UV tube (cost me ?10). However, guitars that I know are poly look the same to me (under this light) as guitars that I know are nitro.

What should I be looking out for? :-?

Mike
..........look for guitars with great resonance, superb tonal response, and excellent playability; then the finish will be a distant concern :) ...............
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

Post Reply