Why American band are best ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COUNTRY BOY

Reaction score
Hi Guys, ( Why American bands are best )

Spotted this statement which is open for discussion on MSN. Columnist, Rob Morgan (certainly worth a read ) looks at British bands and asks for comments, Interesting topic for our forum too I thought.

How do you measure which band is better than the other? You can't, so this thread is pointless. Meaningless provocation in my opinion. 8)

General Discussion is the title of this thread, 'Why are american bands the best?' is just as valid a discussion point as the weather, Fender vs Gibson, or anything else for that matter :D

I disagree with the statement though, my favourite bands are British (I might be biased) and there are loads of great bands from the UK, Australia, Scandanavia, Germany......

Other European countries, France, Italy, Spain, Greece... seem to have a low output of good bands, or maybe it's just I don't get to hear them.

It's always seemed easier to me for a band to get signed to a label in America than in Australia or the U.K.
So rather than Yank bands being "better" or "More popular" it could just be that there are more of them and they dominate the charts.
Good music is good music...no matter which country it comes from....my personal listening tastes are roughly;
30% yank
30% Brit
20% Canadian
20% Australian

JohnA said:
Other European countries, France, Italy, Spain, Greece... seem to have a low output of good bands, or maybe it's just I don't get to hear them.

no no they really have a low output! :D

reggaeuplifts said:
Well if you think about it, like every good band in the 60s and 70s were from England.

And how many of those great bands were blatantly copying what the Americans had already done?

reggaeuplifts said:
Well if you think about it, like every good band in the 60s and 70s were from England.

Also a pure matter of taste.
E.g. i like 70s stuff of ZZ Top and the early records of Grand Funk Railroad, as well as the stuff the german Scorpions did in the 70s.

Led Zep
Queen
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Coldplay
Beatles

I could go on and name at least another 300 great British Bands and then a further 3000 fantastic ones.

We could then match there USA cousins

Or we could take a look at Germany and talk about Micheal Schenker, without doubt one of the 20th centurys most talented guitarists.

Known over here as Mr Melodic.

Who needs Steve Vai when you have Schenker :wink:

Nah..it's not just you...
Perhaps I'm biased...but i grew up playing the same pub circuit at the same time as AC/DC(although they were still called Tantrum)...and Rose Tatto and the Angels.
'70's/80's aussie rock was simply amazing.
The current international Aussie reps are:
Powderfinger
Jet
Silverchair
and keep an eye out for AIRBOURNE...very much in the vein of AC/DC.

Latest posts

Back