I wish I had that one back!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeyboy

Reaction score
How about a thread regarding guitars that you wish you never parted with?

I'll start. Back in '83 I was a Schecter dealer. (This is when they were based out of Dallas and more of a parts house.) They had a new program called 'Create your own monster.' You could select any parts from their catalog and they would build (assemble) you a 'custom' guitar. I ordered a candy apple red strat body with a maple neck and ebony fingerboard with a matching red painted headstock. It was a HSS config with a push/pull splitter and Schecter's version of a Floyd Rose. It was absolutely stunning. And since I was a dealer, I got it for around $300USD. Like a dumbass, I traded it for a Peavy amp, thinking I could always order another one.

:oops:

I want it back!

That?s why I never sell my guitars.. I know I would end up regreting it (and probably never will sell a guitar.. unless I have the misfortune of going through a very bad finantial crisis)...

Alpedra said:
That?s why I never sell my guitars..

How many do you have? And do you have a very big house to keep them all in? :lol:

In the past I've sold guitars to raise money for newly bought guitars, but there's also the space problem - I'd love to say I'll never sell a guitar, but I'll have to make space. :cry:

In the '80's at the height of the "Hair Metal" craze i owned a Fernandes stratstyled guitar....A Single Dimarzio...Floyd Rose...Shark tooth inlays and a Jackson-style pointy headstock and a pearl white finish with a huge Yakuza dragon tattoo on the front.
I never sold it but swapped it for an Ibanez X-series star shaped piece of sh!t that would never stay in tune and was there fore unusable.
I wasn't too phased coz I owned quite a few guitars and figured one dud was ok.
What I didn't realise was the Fernandes collectible status NOW :oops:

I regret trading my Fender Lead I in for an Ibanez.
I played all over Australia with my Fender Lead I and through a Marshall it was just great.
I came off the road and must of been drinking too much or something like that so I got rid of it in a moment of madness.
I think being on the road can do that to you.
Anyway I've bought 2 fender Lead I's since and one of them (with a few pickup mods) is my main guitar now.
I'm never happy with a standard Strat or Tele, I find them to have too much of the standard stereotyped Fender tones and the Fender Leads sit right in the middle of a Strat and a Tele.
For anyone who doesn't know the Fender Leads are a sort of Strat Tele cross with slightly hot humbucking or single coil pickups.
As Elliot Easton said the Fender Leads are very underrated guitars.

My 60's Marshall JTM45/50 top (don't remember which one it was, the model was 1986 (bass version)), traded it for a Peavey Bandit 65 in -83 :cry:. I also miss the white TST-50 Goldstar I bought new in 1985, I wanted a flatter fingerboard radius so I traded it for a pink JSX-70 (Jackson style) Super Edition in '86 :roll:.

Mike

1966 Fender Electric XII, that I paid $350 for, in 1982

it had the split pickups, like a P bass; I played it as a 6 string, without the octave strings

one of the BEST sounding electrics I've ever played; MONSTER single coil TONE.................

Almost forgot about a Univox Hi-Flyer that I traded in back in '74 for a strat. (Still have the that strat.) Those Hi-Flyers sure got popular after Kurt Cobain played one. :eek: (As did the Mossberg shotgun.)

stratman323 said:
Alpedra said:
That?s why I never sell my guitars..

How many do you have? And do you have a very big house to keep them all in? :lol:

In the past I've sold guitars to raise money for newly bought guitars, but there's also the space problem - I'd love to say I'll never sell a guitar, but I'll have to make space. :cry:

Not that many of course :lol: ... just 6 (1 Tokai love rock and 5 strats)... and wife (aka my guitars?s worst enemy) already told me that I can?t buy more so soon.... house?s not so big :cry:

to tell the truth I am pretty happy with what I have now... :wink:

honeyboy said:
Almost forgot about a Univox Hi-Flyer that I traded in back in '74 for a strat. (Still have the that strat.) Those Hi-Flyers sure got popular after Kurt Cobain played one. :eek: (As did the Mossberg shotgun.)

I still have my two Hi-Flyers (one with humbuckers and one with P90's) and matching 3/4 scale basses of each.

Alpedra said:
[ wife (aka my guitars?s worst enemy) already told me that I can?t buy more so soon.... house?s not so big :cry:

I used to live with my wife in a 35m2 studio and I had around 12 guitars at that time ( but only a small fender amp). :D

come on... it's a house, it must be big! :D

20 century boy said:
Alpedra said:
[ wife (aka my guitars?s worst enemy) already told me that I can?t buy more so soon.... house?s not so big :cry:

I used to live with my wife in a 35m2 studio and I had around 12 guitars at that time ( but only a small fender amp). :D

come on... it's a house, it must be big! :D

I've had to rent an 8 x 10 storage unit (climate controlled) to keep my vintage pieces safe and also to hide all of the others from my wife - my house is already littered with gear. I think I'm up to a dozen amps and maybe 30 guitars. She finds out, the space will serve as my new apartment!

japanstrat said:
I regret trading my Fender Lead I in for an Ibanez.
As Elliot Easton said the Fender Leads are very underrated guitars.
I owned one as well (Cherry finish...rosewood fingerboard...single humbucker)...bought from Palings in Sydney.
They were based on a Strat style body but smaller dimensions.
Sold it to buy an engagement ring :evil:

marcusnieman said:
honeyboy said:

I still have my two Hi-Flyers (one with humbuckers and one with P90's) and matching 3/4 scale basses of each.
Sweet. I seem to remember buying mine new for $110 back in '73. :wink: I remember it being a really decent guitar. Mine had the P90s as well and that funky wang-bar.

Personally I'm more pissed about the ones I didn't buy :D :wink: Like the Schecter Esquire made up from parts that was for sale in Allbang and Strummit around 1982. Body was solid Shedua or something like that.

I won't mention any more. Far too stressful.

****!

Allbang & Strummit in Covent Garden in London? :D I bought my first Strat, a Goldstar, there in 1983 (wish I hadn't sold that - had to sell it to pay for my first Fender Strat, a Jap Standard in Lake Placid Blue...).

Did you live in London in the 80s? They surely didn't have a guitar shop with that same daft name in Australia?

Back