First record ever bought?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scunny

Reaction score
There's a great section in Lost in Music by Giles Smith where he tells of how he claims the first record he ever bought was Let It Be, only to later realise he never owned a copy of it. His mind had kind of edited out the first cheesy records he purchased until it came to something credible that he felt comfortable to admitting to owning... So, 'fess up chaps, what was the first record you ever bought, and the first record you <i>really</i> ever bought?

The Best of New Order - this is the first album I remember buying with my own money...
WWF Stars sing Wrestlemania - This is the first cd I really purchased! :lol:
________
starcraft replays

Good topic scunny.

First records I ever owned was The Muppet Show album, then 'Hedgehog sandwich', for those of us who remember the show 'Not the nine o' clock news'.
:oops:

My first self-made purchases were singles : 'Ant rap' by Adam and the ants and 'Runaway boys' by The Stray cats.

First LP I ever bought was 'All mod cons' by The Jam.

Oh the shame................. :oops:

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich - Xanadu ........Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

How cool. My first record was the 'Born to be wild' 45 in '68. I was 10 years old, and I remember trying to get my guitar teacher to help me learn it. No dice. 'Nice boys only play selections from their Mel Bay books.'

I was lucky in that I had older brothers that bought all the great rock albums and pop singles.
The first one I bought was Parallel Lines by Blondie because it was something different that they didn't listen to.

honeyboy- Remember those great nylon picks that were included in the Mel Bay books? Wish I could find some more of those.

DaveWW said:
Oh the shame................. :oops:

Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich - Xanadu ........Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

No need for embarrassment, Dave. That whipcrack was cool back then.

First album - Chartbusters of '69. When I got home and played it, I remember the disappointment when I found they were all covers of the originals.

First single- The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again. I remember the stern face of my mum when she heard it. Not impressed. I was, though.

Loudmouse said:
honeyboy- Remember those great nylon picks that were included in the Mel Bay books? Wish I could find some more of those.
I can't say that I remember getting a pick with those books back in the 60's. I do remember that they were much wider than they were tall. I reckon that was so they would stay open on a music stand.

I am grateful that I was taught from those books. They gave me a good foundation and made me a good reader. It actually came in quite handy at my Berklee placement audition.

Uh-oh... :oops:

The very first record I ever bought was a Wombles single. And I liked it so much, I bought another a few weeks later. Well, I was only 5 at the time.

The first album I bought was considerably less cool... a Status Quo compilation when I was 12. I saved up for weeks (do kids know the concept of "saving up" nowadays? :wink:) and played it to death over the next two years.

adrian

honeyboy said:
Loudmouse said:
I can't say that I remember getting a pick with those books back in the 60's. I do remember that they were much wider than they were tall. I reckon that was so they would stay open on a music stand.

I am grateful that I was taught from those books. They gave me a good foundation and made me a good reader. It actually came in quite handy at my Berklee placement audition.

My first instructional record and book was "Quick Pickin' and Fun Strummin' with Roy Clark and Buck Owens from Hee Haw.

I was 11 years old and i heard my teacher play this really cool song so i went out and bought the album..Desolation Boulevard...by "Sweet" The song was " Fox on the run " I still like the song and what about those harmonies............ 8)

The first Album I was ever given was KISS "Rock and Roll Over"...but the first record I ever paid for out of my own pocket money was Michael Jackson "Ben" :oops:

My first album was also Kiss - Rock and roll over. The embaressing ones that came after that are too many to mention. It's funny that as a kid you don't think what's cool or not, if you like it you like it and that's it...

circa 1963-64 ...

First 45 rpm - The Lonely Surfer by Jack Nitsche & orchestra (I still dig it)

First LP - Meet the Beatles

'Hedgehog sandwich'

I too owned Hedgehog sandwich - on cassette 'cos I didn't have a turntable, a comedy gem if ever there was.

Probably the first record I had was "the funky gibbon" by the goodies - I guess I was about 5.

First record I bought for myself with my hard earned paper round wages was Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind

Cool thread!
First LP - Boston's first album - "Boston"
I was 9 years old, and loved the guitar on More than a feeling, and Foreplay/Longtime - still love the guitar on it actually :D

Dire Straits - Money for Nothing.

Not the single (actually I never cared so much about that particular song).. but the "best of" cd that came out around 1987/88... I was 14 years old. Cd players were still a novelty :lol:

I had a few records already.. but all presents.. that was the first one I bought with my money :wink:

Latest posts

Back