CHESS RECORDS CHICAGO ILL.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GARAGERAT

Reaction score
chessfz0.jpg

These three little pieces of marble came from the front of the old Chess Records Building in Chicago Illinois. The building is crumbling on the bottom near the sidewalk. I thought twice about taking them but I figured they can't be put back and someone would end up sweeping them up and trhrowing them away. So I thought I would bring a little Chicago mojo home to the music room. The daughter and I went to see the King Tut Exhibit in Chicago a week before the blues festival. I know, bad planning on my part. One morning we jumped a cab and told the guy,"take us to 2120 S. Michigan Ave". They guy replied,"You know that's the south side right"? Yep. Ten minutes later we were standing in front of the home of Chicago Blues. We took some photos and stared in awe, imagining Howlin Wolf, Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, coming to this little building to make some of the most important american music there is, IMHO. Then the kid says, "hey dad here's a doorbell", and rings it! Now I know there are a lot folks from other countries on the forum so let me tell you, the south side of Chicago is not somewhere you wanna go around ringing doorbells if you don't know who's behind the door. Anyway, a guy comes to the door and want's to know what we want. I appologized and told him we were on vacation from detroit and just wanted to come see the building. Turns out he is originally from detroit and invites us in for a look around. He had things to do so he turns us loose inside Chess Records by ourselves and says to give him a yell when we are done looking around and he'll let us out. Holy crap, we were every where in that building! Willie Dixons widow owns the place and is turning it into a museum but it wasn't open to the public yet. He hooked us up with a bunch of freebies for the music room, posters etc. I also got the first two t-shirts they will be selling. I shot two rolls of film there. I have to get the pics developed and when I do I'll post some of them to this thread.

Way to go garagerat, (lucky)

That little trip with your daughter will turn out to be a lifelong memory I'm sure she will cherish...

I'm kinda jealous :wink:

Keep on Rockin On

10th Gear 8)

Latest posts

Back