Bands of the World

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epoch

Reaction score
Hei!

I'm interested in music from just about everywhere. This thread is for people to post bands from their country, or another one if they wish. Please post the type of music, and maybe a website if you can. I'll post a few too.

For starters, a few American bands.

Mae: Light rock, really melodic. Whatismae.com

Jimmy Eat World: A vocal based rock group. My favorate song being Sweetness if you can find it. check youtube.com for the video.

GLAY: A Japanese upbeat rock band. These guys are the masters. It's also the reason I've found Tokai Guitars! Their lead guitarist plays a clear blazing fire.

Rammstein: German Heavy Metal. Low vocals. Not my type personally.

H.I.M. (Which I just found out from Joukov is from Finland.) Melodic "Love Metal", I really enjoy it.

Lastly for this post, I enjoy the Rasmus: which is also from Finland (again, cheers to Joukov). These guys are another vocalist driven rock. Google it. Great music.

-Epoch

I just picked up (the Japanese group) Loudness's "Racing" CD, their 2005 release, with bonus disc "Rockshocks," their 2004 rerecording of "classic" 80's Loudness tunes.

It's the original line up, but it's not a 80's hair-metal band anymore. Akira is still great, and it's solid metal. Too bad they'll never be played on American radio.

I've never listened to them. I'll look them up now.

I love Japanese music! Try Bump of Chicken, Mr. Children, and Asian Kung Fu Generation. All great music. If you like the girl singers in rock bands, Check out Do As Infinity. If you like Reggae and Hip HOp, look up Orange Range and Def Tech.

-Epoch
EDIT: Well, thanks to youtube, now I have listened to Loudness. They're fantastic! Wow. Great solos. (End of the Earth.) Wonder where I could find music. Can't put videos on me MP3 player...

How about Tinariwen from Mali? Exquisitely hypnotic, bluesy nomadic rhythms. Plus they traded in their AK-47s for electric guitars! 8)

lol. I'll check them out. Thanks. Could you send me an mp3 or two? here's some more stuff.

Deir Fantastichen Veir (I think that's the right spelling. It's the Fantastic Four). it's a German Hip Hop Group.

That's all for right now, I'll come back later and edit this and post more.

Cool thread - made me think about my taste in music over the years. The first bands I really started listening to where UK - Maiden, Judas Priest, Purple, Sabbath and so on, Closely followed by US stuff - Kiss, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Metallica etc.

Maybe it's a problem of the UK but we have a tendency to look inwardly or to the US. Aside from the excellent Scorpions and Helloween there was never a great deal of european stuff in UK record shops.

These days it's all changed - I think all of the albums I've been buying recently have all been from europe - Nightwish, HIM, Visions of Atlantis (all Finland), Within Tempation (Netherlands), Leaves Eyes (Germany?), Lacuna Coil (italy).

But when it comes to Japanese music - you gotta mention the 5,6,7,8s !!!!

What do the "5678's" play? I love foreign music, unfortunatley, most Americans are self centered, and a little ignorant as far as world culture is concerned. It is nearly impossible to find something from out of the states in a store, other than The Killers, and Rammstein... Ugh... rediculious...

What do the "5678's" play?

5678s are this wacky japanese all girl band who play surf music (they appear in the first Kill Bill movie - which kind of brought them to mainstream attention).

A great fun band who are not not the most technical musician around who play really cool music. On paper it shouldn't work - but it does !!!

Back