Foreign Languages

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epoch

Reaction score
Hey!
I know that most people here speak English, but have you ever wanted to speak another language? Or do you know one, and want to teach it? I know I do. I know joukov is teaching me Finnish right now! I can help with Japanese, some Spanish and French. I'm also interested in German, Greek, Korean, Mandarin (Chinese) and Russian. If you speak one of those, or have another language, post here!

EDITED NOTE: I'd really like to speak to someone in German, it seems like I'm having trouble memorizing it by myself. It's always easier to memorize if you're actually using it.

The biggest way to know another country is through their music, and how do you do that if you don't understand it?

I'd be glad to answer any questions, and help with research if you want to learn that way. I've been doing it for years, it's quite enjoyable!

Ja mata ne! (See ya later, Japanese!)
-Jidai (Epoch, also in Japanese)

Ps. If you know any bands from your country, (of course you do) please post em! I love finding new groups from all over the place. Right now, I'm listening to the Rasmus of Finland, and GLAY of Japan. I also listen to a lot of Santana (Latin Music). Ramsus is melodic rock, Glay is as well, but Glay is a little more Rock based.

How about the Tejano and the music of Northren Mexico and Southren Texas "Los Tigres Del Norte" is the first band that comes to mind.And there are many more very good Tejano and Nortena Bands in Mexico,Central America, California and Texas
" I don`t know spanish but I stayed at a Hollday Inn last night."

Lol. I'll look up the music. Thanks! As far as music from around there (from a global perspective) goes, I only know of Santana and Shakira. I'm not too fond of Shakira, but I love Santana, especially his older stuff.

Check it out . There is a lot of good Tejano music out of Mexico. To best describe it is a mix of polka, old style country and spanish influence. Santana is from Tiawna so a lot of his style is based on that sound. It is a style of music you here from being in Texas but you don`t here away from the SW United States and Latin America. Another good group is Jagures they are from Columbia same as Shakira . Jagures have a more modern sound . I wouldn`t classify Shakira in the same class she is top 40 pop. Ck out cajun music of New Orleans/Louisiana - The Nevil Brothers, Meters, Buckwheat Zydeco, Gatemouth Brown a lot of blues and jazz influence.

Then there's Calexico from Tucson. They play rootsy Americana music and sometimes tour with a Mariachi band, Luz de Luna, also outta Tucson. Saw them in Albuquerque and it was one of the most exciting concerts ever. Shouted myself hoarse. And the Handsome Family (creepy, old-time murder ballads and twisted Appalachian tunes) now call Albu home. Both of these acts are bigger in Europe (them dang Eurohipsters! 8)) than in the States. They make their real money overseas so that they can subsidize their U.S. touring; therefore seeing them in the U.S. is a rare treat!

Hey everyone!

It's been a while, and i assume there's some newfolk around, so i figured i'd bump this topic. Remember (if you didnt read the top, foolish...) any language post here. I will gladly teach french, spanish, and Japanese. Feel free to post music from your country as well. (please, nothing illegal.)

More Music, Various Countries

OOIOO (Japan)
Demon Hunter (America, Joukov, you'd love these guys)
Comeback Kid (America)
Mindless Self Indulgence (I think they might be british... not sure on that one, NOT FOR LITTLE KIDS)
Deir Fantaschtisen Vier (The Fantastic Four, German- note, this is hip hop)
Shiina Ringo- Japanese, um, maybe an older version of america's kelly clarkson. She sings like a pop star, but most of the music i've heard is surprisingly rock based
and last (for now) and also from Japan: Gackt: amazing pianist and guitarist. good music... dresses like a girl...

-Epoch

thanks but I`m surrounded by Japanese every day and the reason I visit web sites is to communicate in English. I`m from Montreal and was raised with a British mum, a French Canadian dad and studied Spanish.

Comeback Kid is from Canada not America. Winnipeg to be exact. :)

My band played with them a few times and I've put and promoted a few shows for them. Surprised to hear someone mention them on here.

Sadly...my second language skills don't stretch much further than being able to swear in almost every language...Jugoslav...Vietnamese....French...Italian...Maltese...what can i say...it's a talent :p

Lol. That's a good talent. Maybe you can show me some time. As for Comeback Kid, a friend reccomended them to me after showing me Demon Hunter.

Hawk Nelson: Canadian Punk
DaRude: I have no idea what country he's from, its not guitar, its just DJ techno, but he has a hugley popular song called "Sandstorm". They played it at the Olympics in Greece.
Do As Infinity: Japanese Upbeat rock, there's a female vocalist, who's very good. She switches to english for some of the choruses. Sometimes its good english, sometimes its the infamous "Japanglish".
KOTO: Her new album is "what's up?". She's like the Avril of Japan. Her name is also that of classic Japanese music, so be careful when you look her up in something like Limewire.

I support downloading a song or two from LIMEWIRE or something, but for god's sake, support your fellow musicians and BUY THEIR CD'S. Just had to put that out there...

If anyone knows some music from Greece, France, and Germany, that would be fantastic if you could tell meh.

Here's Christina Stuermer, an Austrian girl - so she's singing in German ...

www.christinastuermer.de

She can rock - if she likes to do it - and she's a phantastic looking young woman ... 8)

Roger

now that's what i'm talking about! she matches her voice (many artists for some reason don't look like what they sound like. look at the lead singer from new found glory and sum 41.) she is attractive though! im going to look for her cds now, i woud listen to it often. wish i could understand it though :( alas, my german studies are not going well.
i found a friend who wishes to help me, but is busy for the next few weeks, so in a bout a month he is willing to get me started again. horray.

looks in list of music:

RYPSLYME: if you havent heard of orange range, its a rock hip hop band. they did the theme song for the anime bleach. well, ripslyme, rypslime, whatever, there pretty much the same thing.

*looks *

oh! if anyone is into chinese, i only know of one artist, Jay chou. it's my understanding that he is a pianist, but he seems to mostly do hip/hop.pop ballads.

I speak Finnish, English and little bit Swedish and German. It's great to see there are other Finnish members too. :)

Here's some Finnish bands you might know:
Stratovarius, HIM, The Rasmus (as you guys already mentioned), Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Children of Bodom...

Latest posts

Back