I've lost my job

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadman

Reaction score
Gutted.
I've been in the RAF for 18 years and I'm getting made redundant.
I cancelled my order for a new LS150 today. I just can't justify spending a great deal of cash on a guitar now.

Anyone else found themselves in such a bad situation before?

The only saving grace is that I'll get a good payout. Time to get job-hunting! :cry:

why yes I have...one door has closed but you must find the one thats just opened. hang in there I predict an LS150 in your future.

yes - opportunity! Big institutions tend to narrow yr horizons and, from the inside, can look like the only option. NOT TRUE - I spent 10 yrs at the BBC, and there's plenty of people in there who can't understand how life is possible outside its walls. Yet, outside the air is good and the guitars get better.

Bunbury

Hi deadman,

most of the good words cannot really help you to solve the actual problems ...

And I confess, I needed the last night to think about you, and a posting to answer ...

What I see in this forum is a high appreciation for you and the wishes of the posting members that you'll overcome this valley in your life ...

Most of us have been reminded that there are some different great events that maybe are cutting us to the quick - besides the questions if it is a long neck tenon or not !!

It doesn't really help you - but I want you to fight against your 'gutted' - feelings - I am suffering from cancer and I had to retire because of the desease - and I swore in '95 that I'll never give up ... !! :wink:

So, hold your head up high, look for your chances ... ( I know you guys from the aiforce - you are proud) but ... you'll make it! I'm sure, if you're willing to do it ... :wink:

... thinking of you ...

Roger

Hey thanks a lot guys.

I don't know what to say! I thought I'd just vent my frustration somewhat and didn't expect any replies.

Thank you. I'm currently considering joining the British Transport Police. I'll let y'all know how things pan out.

:wink:

Hey Deadman,

I can relate. After working as a journalist for 17 years (and winning several state awards), I got the boot last March. Nauseating at first, but it hasn't been the worst thing in the long run. Nasty as the experience was, it probably saved me a heart attack. I had no idea how burnt out I had become until I left. My wife works fulltime as a nurse practitioner and is getting her PhD, so I am working parttime teaching English and being a housedad also. Somebody has to keep the house up, plus I get to spend more time with my 12-year-old son. Less money, but overall more happiness and contentment (not to mention guitar playing!)

Good luck to you

sincerely

Steve

I know what you mean too.After 13 years working for a consulting since I was at the University(I was recruited last year) I was out(not my fault at all). I loved my job and clients was quite with me happy but....Last year was a hard year to me with very thight funds,it's no easy getting a job here in Spain as this is getting crazy: "you have way too much experience and studies for this position",I cannot understand that,it's the sign of times?? .I guess not.
On a positive note, I have learnt a lot about guitars and amps,specially Tokais and keep improving my playing thecnique.And I'm planning learning japanese very soon.....

tudor said:
.... I am suffering from cancer and I had to retire because of the desease - and I swore in '95 that I'll never give up ... !! :wink:

Bravo Roger !

I'm sorry for your illness. I wish you ALL THE BEST !

Also for you Deadman ALL THE BEST !

All I can say is that the same happened to me in 2000, I sold up, everything! stuck what I had left after paying off debts in the bank, (not much!!) and took off to Brasil to live on the beach and so on. Never regretted a minute.
Married a local girl, I now live happily in a small town in tropical brasil, teaching english and playing the blues in a local band. I go back to the UK and drive trucks for 3 or 4 months every year to top up the savings account, which means I get all my tax back every year and go to a cricket match or two. It seems rough when it happens to you, I know just how you feel, but believe me the big wide world is waiting out there and it?s a hell of a lot more fun than living in the UK !!!

Nice one Pete. You've got a right rock n' roll lifestyle there!
I'm not actually redundant until April 2007 now. The jobsearch is going well.

Deadman;yeah, it?s a rock n roll lifestyle all right. I drive trucks for rock bands in Europe every summer. 6 weeks on tour with a band, then I fly back to Brasil and do my thang here. But the point is, when things go wrong in your life, and it happens to all of us, then what you need is a circle of mates, (like on here, if you like) who give you the encouragement to go and do something different. As John Lennon said, ' life is what happens to you while you?re planning something else'. I got the rock n roll trucking job through a bulletin board just like this one, rapping away with guys I didn?t know, one said 'why don?t you try working for bands', and hey presto, a few e-mails and off I went. Now I get a call from a trucking firm in London, hop on the plane, and I?m off on tour with James Brown, or Peter Gabriel, or (the highlight so far) Status Quo. Lovely blokes!!!
So I hope all goes well with your job search, but don?t let anything get in your way, imagine what you really really WANT to do, then go out and see if you can do it. Don?t be British, and kinda shy, go out and do what you want to do. If you do, then the money will fall into place, and everyone will think you?re a diamond geezer. End of rant.

That's pretty cool.
I don't have HGV and think now that I'll continue my career around aviation.

Change will do you good Deadman. Hopefully you will be able to look back to this situation as them doing you a favor by setting you free. I've never been in love with any job but have always been able to suppliment my income by gigging locally and subbing for people on short tours with a few traveling bands when the corporate axe has swung on me in the past. Good luck to you!

Thanks Clay.
I'm excited at the thought of pursuing a new career and the payout I'll get will soften the blow. Thanks for your support bud :wink:

Back