Grunge

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a huuuuuuge fan of the Seattle Early 90s, late 80s grunge period and have been since I'd heard of Pearl Jam nearly 10 years ago. My other favourite grunge artists are Alice in Chains, Soundgarden and Green River and Mother Love Bone, although I respect and like a lot of other grunge bands such as Mudhoney and Tad. I own every Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Motherlove Bone and Nirvana record there is. :lol:

I absolutely dispise of Nirvana though. Actually, that's a lie, I dispise of the record Nevermind, although I don't mind their earlier stuff.

Any Grunge fans?

www.seattlecommunity.tz4.com if anyone is interested

I always though the Screaming Trees got short changed - they're probably my favourite band out of that scene. Another favourite Seattle band of mine is the Supersuckers - not grunge but a great rock and roll band.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge grunge fan, I'm more of a fan of the 70's bands that influenced the grunge bands. I was sure happy when grunge started to become a big thing though, it really killed off the late 80's hair crap - whoo hoo!!! :)

Jim

Yeah, I've heard a lot about Screaming Tree's funnily enough, I haven't eve heard any of their stuff. They always remind of Soundgarden, because of "Screaming Life". Any recommendation?

"Sweet Oblivion" was the closest thing the Screaming Trees had to a "big" album.

If you do some searching you can probably find them doing a great cover of Black Sabbath's "Tomorrow's Dream". With Mark Lanegan's deep voice it sounds like what Sabbath would've sounded like being fronted by Jim Morrison. :)

Jim

Jim Jones said:
"Sweet Oblivion" was the closest thing the Screaming Trees had to a "big" album.

If you do some searching you can probably find them doing a great cover of Black Sabbath's "Tomorrow's Dream". With Mark Lanegan's deep voice it sounds like what Sabbath would've sounded like being fronted by Jim Morrison. :)

Jim

Thank you for that suggestion, i'm looking into that as well as some U-men and Malfunktion, basically, the "Deep Six". Yeah, tell me about Mark's deep voice :lol:

What's grunge?

I think it was more of a fashion statement than a musical genre. Kind of a catch-all to capure everything coming out of Seattle in that time period or anything similar.

I wouldn't classify AIC or Soundgarden as grunge myself, but if they are: I guess I like it!

Check out the soundtrack from the movie Singles. A nice cross section of early 90's Seattle rock.

How about Temple of the Dog? One of the best albums of the '90's hands down IMHO.

ScottA said:
What's grunge?

I think it was more of a fashion statement than a musical genre. Kind of a catch-all to capure everything coming out of Seattle in that time period or anything similar.

I wouldn't classify AIC or Soundgarden as grunge myself, but if they are: I guess I like it!

Check out the soundtrack from the movie Singles. A nice cross section of early 90's Seattle rock.

How about Temple of the Dog? One of the best albums of the '90's hands down IMHO.

That's the thing, it isn't a genre and even if it was, how can AIC/Soundgarden not be grunge, for you've said it - all grunge bands come from Seattle (add in the late 80s, early 90s part here).

Singles, seen it but it was a really rubbish movie, I was just more interested in the live Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam performances along with Jeff and Stone's appearance.

i think it's awesome that the screaming trees were named after an old electro-harmonix treble booster pedal.

Eh? ^

I thought you meant Electroharmonics Bigmuff that one of Mudhoney's (another grunge band from Seattle) is called. Wellt he album was called Superfuzz Bigmuff to be frank.

As someone who had acne through the period and was meant to be a combination of grunge fashionista, crustie and Generation X-istentialist, I can safely say that the term grunge was a hideous term pumped out by music journalists too afraid to laud music they enjoyed without a tag and a weight of numbers behind them. Place it next to 'crunk' and 'grime' for Most Idiotic Imposed Genre Title Award for All-Time.

And yes Nevermind sucks ***. In Utero was soooooooooo much better. Give me Steve Albini's production over Butch Vig's any day of the week.

Nirvana were ok.

Pearl Jam are the best band in the world (in my opinion, of course) :wink:

Wasn't the EH treble booster called a screaming bird.I uused to have one and I taped it to my LP was suposed to make your guitar sound like a harpsichord
NEVER did thou

Latest posts

Back